Thread: boat horror stories

Default boat horror stories

Every once in a while I go out on a party boat. I don't do it to often because I can't stand the crowds. There was one day about 5 years ago when the seas were pretty rough. I called ahead of time to see if the boat was still going out and of course it was. Since my buddies and I had planned the trip for almost a month we decided to take the ride.

On the way back the storm blew in and the swells were quite large. We were all inside holding on. The garbage cans were being used as puke buckets as well as the floor. There were only a few who were not relieving themselves in this fashion. I have to say that I was one of the few. I never go out on a party boat without taking Bonine travel sickness pills.

What are some of the party boat horror stories you have to share?

I went on a party boat out of point pleasant a few years ago, Name starts with a C, don't want to say more. The captain had a group of buddys who were regulars, they got the most attention form the captain and the mates. I know we should handle ourselves. I don't always need someone to gaff my fish. But when the mates are BSing with the same group of regulars to the point where some of the other patrons were losing fish, something is wrong with that picture.

There was a Captain on a night bluefish trip out of Sheepshead Bay. The guy was drunk as a skunk. We didn't know a thing until we heard him on a phone arguing with his girlfriend. Then he was staggering when he made his rounds. We ended up where he had to go sleep it off, and the mate had to pilot the boat home. Good times.

I thought we might broaden this category to include tales of any danger or bad days/nights out there as well..........

Quick story...

I had a friend a few years ago .....most of the people I'm good friends with are a little different than normal.....it was hard for me to explain to his wife that I thought he already had some brain damage because of his obsession to fish......

How many other guys do you know who will go out tuna fishing and bring a 30 gallon container of fuel strapped to the boat just to get some extra distance?.......he was so obsessive about tuna fishing with his smaller boat that we really pushed it to the limit more than a few times...

Looking back on those times spent with him I'm amazed at the chances we took. We could have been killed out there. One time we went out on another (bigger) boat with a Commercial Capt who had a drug and alcohol problem.......The attraction was the cheap trip, as the Capt had a commercial license and we basically paid the cost of the fuel to go tuna fishing with this guy who had a rep for finding big tuna......the Capt was passed out sleeping 80 miles offshore and one of the engines blew....we had to come back the whole distance with one motor, with my friend and I taking control of the boat for half the way. As if that wasn't bad enough, another passenger who was was a little unstable was freaking out and put a worse vibe on the whole trip until we had to set him straight.........Aaaaaah the fishing stories and the people I've met over the decades could fill several books.......good times,...bad times...crazy times.....and lots of fish in between......

That was almost 2 decades ago....at least we had the EPIRB...which he bought because I nagged him about the possibility of us dying out there.....I have since lost touch with him as he moved away...but I know if he's still fishing he's still crazy as ever.... (the polite term for that is obsessed) ...I have learned from that not to put my safety in the hands of others unless they have a proven record of stability.

Default Re: boat horror stories

I learned not to go out on a headboat on a fri or sat night. Too much drinking and it can get out of hand. I like a few beers now and then but drinking to the point where you are puking all over the deck is not cool. Others have to fish there too.