Thread: Stripping basket for less than $10

Default Stripping basket for less than $10

I would like to share how I made my stripping basket for anyone that is interested. I was able to get everything I needed from Walmart as follows:

Sterlite 12Qt dish tub (approx dimensions 15"x12"x6") - $1.88
    Cable Ties 8" pack of 25 - about $1.90
    Luggage Strap fully adjustable with heavy duty buckle - $4

Tools needed:
    Drill
    Drill bit 3/8"
    Drill bit 3/16"
    File to clean up plastic from drilling

Step 1: Make openings for strap/belt
    I marked the spot on the corners and used the larger bit to drill 5 or so holes vertically then used the drill to make them into one vertical hole that is large enough for the buckle to pass through. Do this for both sides/corners for where the strap will go through.

Step 2: File opening for strap/belt
    Use the file and clean up the plastic to make as smooth as possible.

Step 3: Drill two holes using the smaller bit for each plastic tie that will go on the bottom of the stripping basket. The holes will be approx 5/8" apart. Start with the middle and stagger throughout.

Step 4: Thread all of the cable ties so they are sticking up on the inside of the basket and fasten all the way down. Cut the cable ties to 2-4" lengths at slight angles. I would recommend making them long at first until you determine what is the right length for you. You can always add more and go shorter.

Finished Project should look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4942.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	7725

Name:	IMG_4943.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	7726

Name:	IMG_4944.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	7727

Good Luck and Tight Lines! Post your feedback and let me know if you have any questions.

Rubbermaid makes a 3 gallon which is a bit more sturdier but they did not have it at Walmart. It would also work but is a bit pricier.

Total cost of my basket was about $8 including tax and about 30 min of work.

That's a great basket. Orvis wants $59 for their basket. Nice job, thanks for sharing.

You made that basket in record time. Necessity is the mother of invention, and you definitely needed it ASAP. Nice work, and ya can't beat the price.

Hey I like that basket c4charlie. That luggage strap, what part of Walmart carries it?

Very inventive. It saved you lots of $$.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Hey I like that basket c4charlie. That luggage strap, what part of Walmart carries it?
    Luggage area. I have to admit that the strap I picked up is not the one pictures. It was a bit wider than the one pictured and could expand a heck of a lot more. I decided to use the larger one for my pliers and the one for my pliers on the stripping basket.

It is in the luggage area of WM. They also have some colorful ones with patterns as well.

The wisest fisherman is known not by the quality of his gear, but by the quality of the decisions he makes. Thanks for sharing the tuturial, good job.

Default stripping basket with holes

Hey c4charlie, I like the idea and did some searching. This video he does is great, but I like your idea of luggage straps as oppposed to the bungee cords better, especially if you are in rough surf.

Otherwise nice effort.

Good work there, and at a great price. Thanks for sharing with us.

Just to let you know, there is an even better strap I located in the camping section. It is thinner about 1.5" and the buckle comes off until you put it together. This allows you to just make 4 slits on the back of the stripping basket and weave through the belt strap. Then attach the buckle. The cost of the strap was still under $3 and I got it in the WM camping section.

The other improvement is making holes in the basket so it drains and also burning the tips of all of the ties so you do not get poked. It is working great if only these winds would die down, I would be able to use it more.

Awesome basket! I like the fact that you added drain holes and burnt the end of the tie's. Nice work.