Thread: All about sandeels and needlefish

Hybrid View

Remember when these things are in thick, to try to keep in close contact with the sand. The bluefish will be on top, bass on the bottom.

in the flats on the cape, i know guys that will fish exclusively sand eels on high low rigs and hit some nice fish.

That aint real fishing tho, they just put the rod in the spike, drink beer and run like idiots when it starts doin somethin. try not to fall over when you're poop faced on the beach and ur rod is 200 yrds away

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysaxatilis View Post
    in the flats on the cape, i know guys that will fish exclusively sand eels on high low rigs and hit some nice fish.
    You mean those guys fish real sandeels? I have never seen anyone do that in Jersey, all the setups I see have the teasers or rubber imitations before the plug.

Default sand lances or sand launces

There is a cool drawing in this pdf where they are burrowing in the sand.
    http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/spe.../82_11-066.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hwhale_SandLance_Smrcina.jpg   schooling sand-lance.jpg  

Default sand eels video

I just found this video. It looks like a lot of hard work to get the sand eels and keep them alive, but at least it looks like they do work from a boat.

Some of those sandeela are as big as regular American eels. I can't imagine how they wouldn't work. Did anyone else notice the large size of the conventional reels they are using on that boat?

An interesting paper on sandeels. I think us LI folks got short-changed this year, while you NJ folks got all the surplus.

http://www.bi.ku.dk/bibliotek/phd/Mi...an%20Deurs.pdf