Thread: All about sandeels and needlefish

Hybrid View

Default sand eels video

I just found this video. It looks like a lot of hard work to get the sand eels and keep them alive, but at least it looks like they do work from a boat.

Some of those sandeela are as big as regular American eels. I can't imagine how they wouldn't work. Did anyone else notice the large size of the conventional reels they are using on that boat?

An interesting paper on sandeels. I think us LI folks got short-changed this year, while you NJ folks got all the surplus.

http://www.bi.ku.dk/bibliotek/phd/Mi...an%20Deurs.pdf

Thanks pete that was an interesting read.

X2, learned a lot from reading it. I too wish we had more sandeels this year. IMO without them it killed the season.

Willie, you should have come over and fished NJ. The giant concentrations of sand eels made for some great fishing.

^ Yessir!

Default Re: All about sandeels and needlefish

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    X2, learned a lot from reading it. I too wish we had more sandeels this year. IMO without them it killed the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinner View Post
    Willie, you should have come over and fished NJ. The giant concentrations of sand eels made for some great fishing.

You guys nailed it, (and BTW Plugginpete thanks for your post, very informative )
    LI surfcasters had a relatively poor year in 2011 because of the lack of inshore bait, specifically sand eels.
    So much so, that the most resourceful ones were coming over to NJ to fish....

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but the news so far on the sand eel front is not good.