Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All about sandeels and needlefish

Default Re: All about sandeels and needlefish

Update on sandeels....

I get intel from many trusted sources.
    Some of it I can't post, and that will always be the case, as sources trust me in return.

However I wanted to update my previous comments on sandeels.
    Since the hurricane I have been all over NJ and met some really great people.

One such group was fishing the Sandy Hook area about 2 weeks before Sandy. They were catching very big blues that were spitting up sandeels.

They happened to have lobster fishermen in their family, always a great source for what is out there offshore, and may be important to guys who fish inshore and in the surf. They agreed that the sandeel presence this year, was nothing of the magnitude it was last year.

Nonetheless, the sandeels were around Sandy Hook, in limited quantities, sometime in October.
    I want to document that here for accuracy.

These storms probably chased them far offshore.
    I am still slightly optimistic that we may see some, but cautiously optimistic.

Just a heads up that on Sunday we were on our way blackfishing and off the SRI buoy we marked small bait about 20 feet down. In the past those formations have been sand eels. I cannot say for sure if they were because we weren't fishing for bass. We did not see them per se. But they sure looked like sand eels to me by the marks on the finder.

It amazes me how different the reports are from state to state. This spring we had them in Cape Cod bay, all sizes, from 2" to massive 12" ones that were almost as thick as the american eels.

I agree Charlie it changes from year to year. This year it appears they are late to show up. I find that they don't like dirty water. The slate of bi-monthly storm systems we have had this spring could have kept them offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    I find that they don't like dirty water.

I have found the same thing too. When you have a stable pattern with northwest winds, after a noreaster, is when they seem to come closer inshore. Of course bass don't like real dirty water as well so it makes sense you find this species of predator and prey together.

^^^ Good point when the noreasters are raging its not exactly a good environment for them. What do they feed on does anyone know? algae?

Was thinking about the sandeels and the fall. Has anyone run into them yet in NJ. Tuna or offshore guys?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    It amazes me how different the reports are from state to state. This spring we had them in Cape Cod bay, all sizes, from 2" to massive 12" ones that were almost as thick as the american eels.
    I have fished CC bay and they target bass with 14 and 18" Hogys. It's great to see a bass rise and whack one of them.

fnm I am starting to see them in moco. Very spotty so far up to 3". They have not really arrived yet but have snagged a few.

when I see evidence of sandeels, I put on an ava with a tail, preceded by a redgill teaser.

heard of, but not seen any evidence of SE's yet though....

Anyone have any idea when the sandeels will show up this year? Or is it only a fall thing for NJ?

maybe fall but I would hold my breathe

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

They finally hit our shores last week. It's a beautiful sight to see when they are washing up on the beach. These are the stomach contents someone posted on the net. Delish!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails se173092.jpg   se173093.jpg  

Did some research on sandeel threads and found this. Have heard some striped ones caught in Ocean County had sandeels in their bellies. I really do hope they move closer to our surf zone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12