Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the worst surf fishing fall run you remember in recent years? I say 2009

This year, by far the worst in a very long time. And I cover a lot of ground when I fish, from IBSP to Sandy Hook.

I would kind of agree with clamchucker. The last great run of fall bass and bluefish I remember was about 3 or 4 years ago. I was commuting once a week to NJ to help take care of my uncle, who was very sick, so I was fishing every weekend in NJ

We had some fantastic bluefish action starting in August. Then it was pretty good bassing in the back bays and rivers from August till Oct.There were a lot of peanuts around. When they left the bays, the action died down around Columbus Day. Then the action started up in the surf, massive bluefish blitzes on the peanuts. I don't remember catching a lot of big surf bass then, but there were schoolies galore. And so many bruiser bluefish we got tired of catching them. I think at that time Oct and Nov were hot, and it slowed down a bit in Dec, but we still caught a few bass. I think it was also a little warmer that Dec, I remember fishing around Christmas and I didn't need a heavy jacket, just neoprene waders. I wish we could have that fishing back again.

Thought I would bump this thread to the top. Some interesting trends are starting to develop here...

The old timers I met on the beach last week said the following..

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Conversation with Ed & Wally....
    They have over 85 years experience fishing the salt between the both of them. Both remembered the moratorium, and when fishing was something so good that you didn't have to drive all over to chase the fish, they were just there, running up or down the beach, Spring or Fall....
    Some comments....

Striped bass -
    "We have a friend who fishes almost every day of the fall. He keeps a log and fishes the same area we do. In 2009, he caught over 100 striped bass (keepers). In the fall 2010 he got 20. "

I remember before the stripe bass moratorium and how it was before and after. Seems back then it was easier and a bit more bait around then today.
    Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, makeup lies.

I remember fishing before the moratorium too surfplug and I definitely agree with that. The years 1980-82 when they mandated the moratorium were pretty poor for me. Checking my logs I see that the numbers started to decline about 5 years before that, which is what we have currently.
    And the same thing is happening in Montauk right now. I read on the internet where some folks describe these blitzes as spectacular, the best fishing they have ever had. You tell me, there is a day or two of extreme blitz fishing, followed by days where there is only a slow pick.
    You want to call that the best fishing you ever had?
    When I read that, I know the guy saying it is a newbie.

Even the captains hype it up to a degree. I think there is some brutal honesty in some of the threads here that some people should be aware of. The blitzes at Montauk used to last for days, and there would be wave after wave of fish passing the point. Fish were available 5 miles N or S of the point, blitzes as far as the eye could see. Now you have a concentration of fish, 30 boats and kayakers hard on them, and a pittance of fish for us surfcasters. The fish are getting smaller too.

15 years ago my logs show the average size of the bass caught in the day, was in the 15-20lb class. In the night we had fish 30-40lbs regularly. It was so good that if someone got a 30 at night they would know not to weigh it in because there would be at least 5 in the 40 or better class that would be caught that night. And that was almost every night during the fall.

Now the fish range from 6-12lbs in the day, if there is good action, and from 15-25 at night, with a few bigger ones thrown in every now and then. Ask any old salt at montauk how 2011 has been so far and you will get an earful.

And that was when there was real blitz fishing and good overall action day and night. What you have today is a mere shadow of how it used to be 15 years ago. Same for the south shore. A guy gets a 30 at night and everyone knows it. 15 years ago it wasn't that impressive because we were seeing 40's regularly, on eels in the surf at night.

Great perspective bass buddah. Thanks for that.

I know most of you northerners had a great fall, but for those of us who fish Ocean City and south of that it was terrible except for some action in the Cape May area in December.
    I had a poor fall but don't have as extensive a log book as some of you guys do. I did catch some nice bass but had to drive up to LBI and IBSP to do it. Here is a post put up on another site referring to our area that I thought spelled it out remarkably well-

"Worst last fall/spring/ and current fall/winter in recent history. 3 years ago this time I caught over 75 fish, with 14 keepers. This year I put in more time and got 1 hit all fall on a bunker tail, and pulled in a 37 inch/18 lber and other than that got an 8 incher on a hopkins as that was only hit I got on a lure all year. happy for those who got on some, but awful year for catching fish here.. "

Default Re: What is the worst surf fishing fall run you remember in recent years? I say 2009

I met an old timer this morning....
    He's 68, been fishing the salt for 60 years.....
    Said this year has been his worst year surf fishing in a long time....

We talked about some of the things he's seen....
    This thread
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...t-striped-bass

has some of his observations, and others of the old timers I run into.

Default Re: What is the worst surf fishing fall run you remember in recent years? I say 2009

Well I don't have a lot of years under my belt. Still consider myself a newbie. I would nominate this year. I read that some of you got bigger bass before Sandy. Then it seems like the hurricane washed everything away even a lot of the baitfish. I hope next season is better at least for me. I have only caught a few. Would like to see more and some bigger ones.

2013 for me. You can't count 2012 because Sandy threw a monkey wrench into the catching.

what he said^^^^^^

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

This has clearly been the worst season for me from the surf. Top to bottom (though I haven't hit bottom yet )

This year and it still suxxxx...
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I'm still trying to keep a happy face on fellas but have to agree with surfstix. My worst year in over 10 years. Fish just not hitting the surf zone in NJ. Look at the Grumpys weigh ins for Sun and Mon. Holiday weekend and no weigh ins. Betty and Nicks only a few weigh ins. This despite heavy fishermen presence over the Holiday. What does that tell you?

If something is not done next year will be worse
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I'm not one to follow these but a buddy who fishes IBSP weekly texted me to check the Grumpy reports.

Fishing has to be horrible down that way also especially if not one fish was weighed in over a holiday weekend...

Weigh-Ins

Wednesday, November 13, 2013
    No weigh-ins logged...

Tuesday, November 12, 2013
    No weigh-ins logged...

Monday, November 11, 2013
    No weigh-ins logged...

Sunday, November 10, 2013
    No weigh-ins logged...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12