Thread: "A few cold nights"

Default "A few cold nights"

Each year i always seem the same posts

"we just need a few cold nights to get them going"

"we need a noreaster storm to stir up a bite"

The fact is if you keep a log in both spring or fall Bass Blues Weakies almost always magically appear and move into the area within days of the time they did last year or the year before or year before.

Ive seen a few guys giving the "they are here, GO!!" posts because Betty and Nicks weighed in a couple. The air gets colder, the amount of fisherman on the island go from 20 to 100, more lines go in more and the chance to knock off a few residents increases.

The weather, the moon, the storms dont seem to effect it much. Also bass seem to show up as far south the same day they show up in northern NJ, both spring and fall, the water has to be ready for a few days then the bass move in all over, not in a huge blob coming down the coast like guys think.

I think many people think the fish are just sitting dormant waiting for the water to hit 55ish, although its somewhat true for residents. But normally the water hits the mark and a few days later the bass move in

My log says 22 to 24th

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    Ive seen a few guys giving the "they are here, GO!!" posts because Betty and Nicks weighed in a couple. The air gets colder, the amount of fisherman on the island go from 20 to 100, more lines go in more and the chance to knock off a few residents increases.

The weather, the moon, the storms dont seem to effect it much. Also bass seem to show up as far south the same day they show up in northern NJ, both spring and fall, the water has to be ready for a few days then the bass move in all over, not in a huge blob coming down the coast like guys think.

I think many people think the fish are just sitting dormant waiting for the water to hit 55ish, although its somewhat true for residents. But normally the water hits the mark and a few days later the bass move in

My log says 22 to 24th

I think having the discipline to keep a log says it all Shark, and you made some excellent points here. My log is the lazy man's log, it's basically a record of my fishin reports, and only goes back 3 yrs. Your log is probably a lot more comprehensive than that. A log is a valuable resource that any serious fisherman needs to keep and refer to to learn from the past.

Even though patterns change, the same basic things happen each year. In the Spring, back bay areas warm up first, the mud gets warm, crustaceans and worm life starts becoming more active, and once the temps hit 55 it's like someone turned on the light switch.

These temps gradually rise until the bass are no longer comfortable, and they leave to seek cooler temps. There are several discussions here and online on water temps. They are a key ingredient for bass activity, and numbers. You can always find the solitary bass if you throw bait in enough spots in the places where they tend to sit on the bottom and only move with the tide. But to get into any numbers, the temps have to move into an optimal range.

Similar patterns develop in the fall, but it's hard for some to realize them as patterns because in the Spring the rush to feeding activity seems more dramatic, to me at least.

And of course, you nailed that concept in 2 sentences, while it took me 8.

Important stuff, though, good post.

Bass like cold water. They will live in warmer water if it's filled with bait, but I think the temperature is more important than the bait.

well rite now the temperature must be right

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Bass like cold water. They will live in warmer water if it's filled with bait, but I think the temperature is more important than the bait.
    They go where the bait goes staying in warm or cold with no bait causes starvation, plus the bait moves with water temperature. Remember there are summer and winter spearing as a mother nature cure

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    I agree. The water has to be just right. I also seem to remember it being the mid of October before the bite can on full force.

The point i was trying to make is History repeats in fishing.

I love quoting Jeff Goldblums character in Jurrasic park..."Nature finds a way"

Having logged Oct 22 to 24 as the GO time, it appears the fleet is in, just got to get them closer to the beach.

The internet cool kids are anti peanut bunker but id love to see some show up, what was this years best action spitting up

On weds night we actually seen guys easily netting lots of mullet in the back bays, mullet still was surprising, Im keeping the faith for some nuts

On weds night we actually seen guys easily netting lots of mullet in the back bays, mullet still was surprising, Im keeping the faith for some nuts
    Yep it's amazing mullet have not yet completely cleared out of the back areas. I saw some 2 nights ago and last night, but in small amounts. A friend found some corn cobs in the surf yesterday afternoon. There are also some cobs in deepwater ports in urban areas.

And, I saw some guys netting mullet at SH today.

I have been seeing some peanuts as well in the back, but in smaller groups than years past. Got into a conversation with a guy this morning who moors his boat in the back bay area. He swore there were many more in years past. It's hard to get a handle on bait stats because it seems we as fishermen are the ones who study the bait most intensely.

Each year i always seem the same posts

"we just need a few cold nights to get them going"

"we need a noreaster storm to stir up a bite"

The fact is if you keep a log in both spring or fall Bass Blues Weakies almost always magically appear and move into the area within days of the time they did last year or the year before or year before.

My log says 22 to 24th

I hope the fishing gets better by the 22nd because I have been out at least 6 times in September and only caught fish a few times

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    I hope the fishing gets better by the 22nd because I have been out at least 6 times in September and only caught fish a few times
    HA HA thats my annual speech.

Although things seem down and my sure fire spring spot struck out for the first time in 12 years, we will get some opportunties.

I have a clear memory of the pre Hurricane bite, I was on the boat 10/21 on a warmish Sw wind day all blues, the next day which was a Monday the 22nd went NW and nuts and Bass showed in force. I missed 98% of an epic surf bite that friday the 26th stuck in traffic.

The wind is supposed to blow NW for the next 2 days do you think that will get it going?

It will be a better shot at them with the NW if everything falls into place wind bait tide....Any southerly wind brings weed and a sweep in NY.The north winds have been the ticket for some ok fishing on the beach most are still out deep, it is tough fishing this year and the fish are right in the wash here don't lift your plug to soon that last crank of the reel may be when they whack it.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.