Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&A Education Series: Understanding back bay bait migration and fishing patterns

I second that.

Default Fall run and plant blooms - Hocus Pocus or the real deal?

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Here's some others

Tulips – arrival of winter flounder
    Lilac – weakfish are in town
    Forsythia – bluefish and fluke are on the move
    Dogwood – arrival of striped bass

September’s full harvest moon has a tremendous effect on both weakfish and striped bass which take it as a sign to start their annual southern migration. During this lunar period juvenile species of both predator and prey are driven outward along the shoreline.

Wind from the North, fish come forth
    Wind from the South, fish shut there mouth
    Wind from the East, fish come to feast
    Wind from the West, fishing is the best

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0254.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	12195
    Add this freaky plant to the mix, I think it's chrysanthemum. Every year, once they bloom, action heats up within a week. I already heard a few nice reports today, we'll see what the rest of the week brings....

Oh no, Dark has switched from taking pictures of swans to pictures of flowers!!!!!
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

After I put that up, I considered someone might bust my ballz about it. Feel free, Cardoc.

The fishin was good tonight. The flowers told me it would be, and it was.
    What more can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Name:	IMGP0254.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	12195
    Add this freaky plant to the mix, I think it's chrysanthemum. Every year, once they bloom, action heats up within a week. I already heard a few nice reports today, we'll see what the rest of the week brings....
    "It's nice to see some bigger fish around."
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...?t=7150&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    Oh no, Dark has switched from taking pictures of swans to pictures of flowers!!!!!
    You're a regular Dr Doolittle, aren't you Dark?

"Talks with the animals, walks with the animals" - now you talk to flowers too, that's par for the course!

Default Dr Doolittle

^^ We love you dark, but that is just too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    You're a regular Dr Doolittle, aren't you Dark?

"Talks with the animals, walks with the animals" - now you talk to flowers too, that's par for the course!
    Or you could call him the Pied Piper of the swans.

^ Whatever it takes to amuse you mooks, feel free...

Default funny thread

Bait, swans and flowers, this one has it all. Thanks for the laughs, and the helpful knowledge.

Dark was born at the wrong time. I think he would have been happier growing up in the 60's, flowers, acid trips, free love, and the hippy chicks with the hair under their arms.

Default hairy hippie chicks

You can still find those girls, just go to any Horde or (reincarnation of) Grateful Dead concert.

Name:	Photo-242.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	12245

btw Dark, I saw that report of that fish you got the other night, as Borat says very nice!
    On the release.

omg, that was a disgusting pic to wake up to!
    Just wondering if any of you guys are still fishing the back bays now, or if you think all the rains pushed the fish out to the ocean. Thanks

I don't think the bay action is done the bait is still schooling up my Spring spot had 16 lb. blues and bass on bunker schools in Oct. last year and I couldn't fish, the waters not that cold the inlet and ocean may produce steadier action the only way to know is to give it a shot but remember it could be overnight that the bait and fish take off personally I like the inlets it may not be great but the fish have to get through it to leave and the bait likes to hang out there, don't overlook the pockets of the inlets many of big fish hide there.Its the hardest time to pinpoint where the fish are try and keep up with the bait pods and reliable reports, for NJ pay attention to the NY reports also (the ones on here are pretty accurate) as well as your own they are coming your way but nothing is carved in stone will they hit the beach or swim offshore past us.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I don't think the bay action is done the bait is still schooling up my Spring spot had 16 lb. blues and bass on bunker schools in Oct. last year and I couldn't fish, the waters not that cold the inlet and ocean may produce steadier action the only way to know is to give it a shot but remember it could be overnight that the bait and fish take off personally I like the inlets it may not be great but the fish have to get through it to leave and the bait likes to hang out there, don't overlook the pockets of the inlets many of big fish hide there.Its the hardest time to pinpoint where the fish are try and keep up with the bait pods and reliable reports, for NJ pay attention to the NY reports also (the ones on here are pretty accurate) as well as your own they are coming your way but nothing is carved in stone will they hit the beach or swim offshore past us.
    What he^^^said I haven't been out front yet with all the gnarly and dirty water

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Re: S&A Education Series: Understanding FALL back bay bait migration and fishing patterns

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I don't overlook the pockets of the inlets many of big fish hide there..
    Ding we have a winner.

Default Re: hairy hippie chicks

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    You can still find those girls, just go to any Horde or (reincarnation of) Grateful Dead concert.

Name:	Photo-242.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	12245

btw Dark, I saw that report of that fish you got the other night, as Borat says very nice!
    On the release.
    this is sick!

Default Re: hairy hippie chicks

And all the life back there depends on the mullet and peanut bunker for the best action. By the full moon next week the mulllet should be all in the surf gauntlet. Get ready.

Default Re: Fishing reports: Turd Ferguson helps the new guys

Mullet run 2012 -
    In years past the September Full moon (Harvest Moon) has been the one yardstick when the mullet are supposed to leave the bays for the ocean. It doesn't always happen exactly this way. This year is an illustration. Some of the mullet have been streaming down the coast for almost a month now, which is a few weeks early.

Some thoughts -
    When I scouted some water on the way home the previous trip, I found none, and was a little disappointed.

The thing that is driving most of the better fishing right now is larger schools of mullet. Although this may seem obvious to some, I say that to indicate that there is a good chance that if you can't find mullet in any larger numbers you may not be able to find fish. The rainfish and spearing are important as well, but in my experience the fish become a little more picky with only these 2 types of small forage... I'm always happier when there are more varieties in the forage mix because it gives you a better chance of catching them on artificials.

Default Re: back bay migration

We had mullet well into mid October last year & large bunker in the back bays.The big blues were killing the bunker pods but livellining is what will produce the bait is too thick and very few will nail a plug.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast