Thread: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Hybrid View

Default Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

I started this in response to an answer I gave a guy who seemed to be frustrated with the birds he was following in his boat. Here's my experiences. Remember there are lots of additional variations of what I have seen.

"When you see birds, try to classify in your mind what they are doing. Birds will organize themselves around bait, even if there are no fish feeding, so that's why you will see them sitting in the middle of the water sometimes.

The circling and sporadic diving signifies they have found bait they can reach, while just circling can signify they have found bait that is not yet accessible.

The easiest bird behavior to identify is when they are diving on fish that are blitzing, but as mentioned previously, there are other behaviors you can look for, and variations of the ones I mentioned, that will also help you to find fish. Hope this helps. "

If any one else has perspectives or experiences to add to this, I would appreciate hearing them.

Seagulls and Salmon

working the birds

Thanks for posting up the videos, Plugcrazy. Gunny/Stripercoast1 also put up a good thread about birds and the 3 types of blitzes. I thought of that after I posted this thread. I thought of combining them, but his is pretty specific and deserves it's own space, good read.

Here's a link to it:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5061

I have also seen seagulls near the water edge feeding on beached peanuts. from a distance it look like they where just sitting around, but what was out of place was the wind was blow NW and they where face E. Seagulls almost alway face the wind. I investigated and got into a memorable blitz. It was this time of the year 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    Seagulls almost alway face the wind. I investigated and got into a memorable blitz. It was this time of the year 2003.
    I never noticed that until I read it here. I did notice that when they are gathered up on the shore it means either bad weather is coming or they are waiting for food at some future time. Like they may have seen baitfish yesterday for an hour, and they show up today because those baitfish might show up today. Thanks vpass.

Default Gannets and gannet behavior

I'm posting this to help to educate us about what kinds of birds gannets are, what they eat, and what their behavior means.

I decided it was necessary because at a few other places there are some people talking about the following:

1. Gannets diving on adult bunker.
    2. Gannets being in the RB on small bait "like bay anchovies".

I don't want to get into pizzing contests with anyone here or in cyberspace. If the above scenarios are what the people reporting them believe they saw, it's certainly possible. But realistically, I think we need to educate people as to the behavior and feeding habits of gannets so people have a better idea of what they're seeing and why they're seeing it...

(and if they saw gannets at all. It's quite common for some people to confuse seagulls with gannets.)

However, if you have been around and fishing for a number of years, you learn to distinguish the difference. To me, there is no mistaking the dive bombing Kamikaze ferociousness of gannet behavior.

I love watching them crash on bait, knowing that often there are big bass underneath. Frequently the gannets are the only indicator that the bass are there, as feeding bass will sometimes not even break the surface if there are only a few bass and the school of forage fish is large enough.

To begin with, gannets take a high speed dive into the water to get their food. It's a pretty cool sight to watch. They primarily feed on herring and similar sized bigger bait in the ocean because that's the right size food for them. They could kill themselves if diving on tightly packed schools of horse bunker. They do eat adult bunker given the right conditions.

As for smaller bait like anchovies, it might be possible, but they would rather eat herring and bait in that size range. The ideal size range is indicated in bold below. I did this to show that all things are possible, but you have to ask yourself as a fisherman which scenarios are likely.

That's why when spotted in early Spring and late Fall they're a great indicator of herring schools. You see them a lot early and late season when the herring are moving through an area. As mentioned, they could also be on bunker, if the bunker are not densely packed.

You can see them in the deeper bay waters, or the ocean. Whenever you see them, it's an awesome sight.

Default Birds working

There are a couple scenarios fo birds out on the water that I want to see what you guys know or think about.

The infamous one is birds actually working an area a diving all over that spot. No need to comment on this one, because we all know what that is all about.

How about seeing a flock of birds swarming in the air circling an area, but never diving into the water? It's almost as if they have spotted bait, but can't get to it.

The 3rd is all the birds just sitting in a area after they swarmed around it a few minutes?

Do the 2nd two scenarios mean anything to us as fisherman? What are you guys thoughts?
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    There are a couple scenarios fo birds out on the water that I want to see what you guys know or think about.

The infamous one is birds actually working an area a diving all over that spot. No need to comment on this one, because we all know what that is all about.

Do the 2nd two scenarios mean anything to us as fisherman? What are you guys thoughts?

2.How about seeing a flock of birds swarming in the air circling an area, but never diving into the water? It's almost as if they have spotted bait, but can't get to it.

3.The 3rd is all the birds just sitting in a area after they swarmed around it a few minutes?

Cardoc for #2 above it could be that the bait is too deep. They see the profile but cannot reach it, so they circle.
    For #3 if could be if they are on the water that again the bait is not within reach and they are waiting for the fish to push it up closer to the surface.

There was a good thread on bird behavior here -
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5061

I was right Cardoc. Dynamic duo buddy.

fished this morning before blow some bigger fish were pushed in all between 24 and 32 inches I had 2 to 28 my friend had 6 to 32 and my other friend had at 2 to 27 all were released all caught on 2 ounce Hopkins believe they were chasing sea herring as gannets were diving..

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    fished this morning before blow some bigger fish were pushed in all between 24 and 32 inches I had 2 to 28 my friend had 6 to 32 and my other friend had at 2 to 27 all were released all caught on 2 ounce Hopkins believe they were chasing sea herring as gannets were diving..

Here's the troll question of the week, either dark or finchaser can answer or anyone else who thinks he knows. I was out scouting the surf last week and looking for some new places to fish. I came across these birds sitting on the water. It was pretty warm that day the land must of been 60 degrees the water was about 39 (used a baby thermometer). Can anyone tell me why those birds were sitting on the cold water instead of the warm sand? Herring or shad under them? Maybe sandeels? This was by an inlet btw. thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC23-89554.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	18080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC23-89955.jpg 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	18081

These two were not saying much this morning.....

Name:	2014_4_13_Birds.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	18157
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Here's the troll question of the week, either dark or finchaser can answer or anyone else who thinks he knows. I was out scouting the surf last week and looking for some new places to fish. I came across these birds sitting on the water. It was pretty warm that day the land must of been 60 degrees the water was about 39 (used a baby thermometer). Can anyone tell me why those birds were sitting on the cold water instead of the warm sand? Herring or shad under them? Maybe sandeels? This was by an inlet btw. thanks

Name:	PIC23-89554.jpg 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	18080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC23-89955.jpg 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	18081
    Birds sit on the water the last place they either see bait or feed on it waiting for it to surface again

^ You people don't know what a bird expert the OGB is.....he has an extensive collection of bird pics......
    And can spot tuna chicks at sea miles before anyone else can.....

Birds sit on the water the last place they either see bait or feed on it waiting for it to surface again

Thank you for that. Can anyone answer what it means when they are not sitting on the water but grouped up tight on one beach area. Does that mean bait is in the area as well? thanks!

1)no means there is no bait to eat they face into the wind to get the scent of something to eat .
    2)sounds like sea gulls, nor do they follow fish schools as they will eat almost anything including garbage
    3)sea birds very seldom sit on land and follow bait and fish schools

Thank you for this thread, very informative and I have learned a lot.

Fished this morning got 2 small washed out looking resident fish lots of loons diving and coming up with sand eels water down to 42 the end is near will try this afternoon as the afternoon bite seems better than the morning.