Thread: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Hybrid View

Gannet behavior I:

It's most likely that gannets found along our Eastern US coastline are northern gannets.

http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/spe...s/introduction

Introduction

Adult Northern Gannets, with chick
    Figure 1. Distribution of the Northern Gannet in North America.

This heavyweight among the plunge-divers of the world breeds in often huge, always dense, and extremely raucous colonies on precipitous mainland cliffs, islands, and stacks. As a breeding bird, the Northern Gannet is confined to the continental-shelf waters on both sides of the North Atlantic. In the eastern North Atlantic, it is distributed in 32 colonies from the coast of Brittany in France north to Norway, with its main concentration north and west of Scotland (Nelson 2002). In North America, it is restricted to just 6 well-established colonies: 3 in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Québec, and 3 in the North Atlantic off the coast of Newfoundland.

This species is monomorphic, with sexes similar in size and appearance. Pairs usually bond monogamously for life, and both mates participate in all aspects of parental care, though sharing of the activities varies over the course of the nesting cycle. The species has a rich repertoire of picturesque sexual and aggressive behaviors for maintaining pair bonds and living in close contact with its neighbors. The female lays a single egg, which is incubated under the highly vascularized webs of the feet (gannets do not have a brood patch).

Hatchlings are altricial, with essentially no motor coordination or thermoregulatory capacity, but they develop rapidly during the 13-week nestling period, attaining peak weights at 8–9 weeks of age of up to 50% more than adults. At 13 weeks, chicks depart from nest sites by jumping from their nesting ledges and flying/gliding 400–500 meters from the colony into the water. Unable to rise from the water because of their excessive weight and still without fully developed wing muscles, they begin a southward migration to middle Atlantic regions. Mortality during the first year is high, but those birds that survive have a strong tendency to return during their second or third year to the same colony in which they were hatched.

Like other seabirds, the Northern Gannet takes several years to attain adult plumage, going through various stages of mottled dark-and-white plumages before becoming pure white with black wing-tips at 4–5 years of age. At maturity, the male begins the arduous process of acquiring a breeding site in the colony and attracting a mate. Once acquired, it is likely to be the pair’s nest site for the rest of their lives, where they will raise 1 chick per year. Reproductive success (that is, eggs producing fledging young) at colonies is generally high (>75%), and most colonies today are increasing in population size at a rate of about 3.0–3.5% per year.

The Northern Gannet is a voracious forager, feeding on shoaling fish by plunge-diving. As an opportunistic feeder, it utilizes prey species as they become available through the season, but prefers larger (more than 30.0 cm), more energy-rich (7.0 kJ/g) species over smaller, lower-energy species, and often forages up to several hundred kilometers from its nesting colony to locate such prey. The average annual harvest of squid and mackerel (Scomber scombrus) in Newfoundland by Northern Gannets often exceeds that of the total commercial landings (Montevecchi et al. 1988). Foraging is not without its risks, and mortality of adult gannets is fairly high as a result of fishing accidents, entanglement in nets, and, albeit less today than in the past, persecution by fishermen.

Gannet behavior II

Gannets on pilchards

http://www.answers.com/topic/solan-goose-1
    Ecology
    Gannet pairs may remain together over several seasons. They perform elaborate greeting rituals at the nest, stretching their bills and necks skywards and gently tapping bills together.

They are migratory and most winter at sea, heading further south in the Atlantic.

These birds are spectacular divers, plunging into the ocean at high speed. Although they are pul and agile fliers, they are clumsy in takeoffs and landings. They mainly eat small fish (2.5-30.5 cm in length) which gather in groups near the surface. Virtually any small fish (roughly 80-90% of the diet) or other small pelagic species (largely squid) will be taken opportunistically.

**Various cod, smelt and herring species are most frequently taken.[4]

Although Northern Gannet populations are now stable, their numbers were once greatly reduced due to loss of habitat, removal of eggs and killing of adults.
    Predators of eggs and nestlings include great black-backed and herring gulls, common ravens, ermine and red fox. The only known natural predator of adults is the bald eagle, though large sharks and seals may rarely snatch a gannet out at sea.[5]

Old names for the Northern Gannet include solan, solan goose and solant bird.

Gannets on sardines

listen up cause SOS knows birds

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

hey dark u are going to open upa can of worms with the bird stuff get worms bird stuff

Don't worry about the ball busting Dark, you know that's because we like you. I think you did a good job with the gannet info. And you are right, I am amazed at how many people confuse seagulls with gannets. Online research is so easy now. When I grew up we had to go the library to do this stuff.

The birds tell us when SOS is around doing his scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    listen up cause SOS knows birds
    I guess you really do know your birds DS. Grats to you and Stripercoast for laying down this info. I saw birds the other day, not many fish under them. But last week in ocean county I saw gannets diving just beyond our casts. I also saw boats in the area hooking up, I'm assuming they were over bass and some kind of big bait.
    It's a thrill to watch them kamikaze dive into the water. I checked out that other thread you have highlighted too. Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    hey dark u are going to open upa can of worms with the bird stuff get worms bird stuff
    What can I say, G!

And Pebbles, what can I say, she can bust me anytime, special priveleges....

I came across a large body of bait the other night, in 46 degree water...with a few hundred birds sitting on them. the birds wouldn't move despite the diffulty they had in maintaining their position.

In situations like that, it's always a good idea to work the area for predators, There weren't many there, but at least I worked it hard to find that out....

Thanks again to Ed for his perspective as well.

Default Re: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Birds and Winter Herring......

Back in late December when the water was a little warmer there were schools of herring......
    Most of these schools didn't have bass under them, they just moved up and down the coast....

As opposed to bunker, which sometimes stay closer to the surface as they feed, these herring were only visible by looking for a dark stain....

The birds could see them, though....with crystal clear clarity and perfect vision they would gather around the schools waiting for something to happen...it often never did, but the birds would wait anyway......

The following are pics I took one such cold dreary morning....

Thought some of ya's might like to see what I saw, the subtle signs......

Default Re: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Stage 1 - the birds know the fish are there. They can see them and sometimes smell them, but there is no real activity from predators. So the birds will tend to group up where the bait is.

Some groups sit exactly over them on the water waiting for something to happen. Others sit on the shore looking for telltale clues from the ones over the fish that the action is ramping up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2775.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	16088

Name:	IMGP2776.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	16089

Name:	IMGP2778.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	16090

The above pics show a group of birds sitting on a school of herring about 250' out....it's hard to see because it is a cloudy day. I took very large pics to study this at home, but had to downsize them to post. For anyone who finds it hard to see the best advice I can give is you can sometimes tell, if there is a lot of bait, where you will see a portion of the water stained darker than the rest.

With bunker it's easier to tell, because they are sometimes feeding on top.
    Maybe others have experienced differently, but I have never found herring feeding on top in the daytime....it's usually the case that they are more mid-level, suspended from the bottom. So with herring, you need to be a little more perceptive than with bunker. If you want to do the same scouting, you have to teach yourself to recognize signs that bait is there, even when there are no predators to make it obvious.

As I post the rest of the pics, some viewers with sharp eyes will notice the herring as the darker stain I am talking about.
    I believe this day there were 2 distinct bands of herring, one larger and one smaller.
    It's hard to see that from these pics.

I prefer to do most of my scouting on overcast days....

I wish these pics could show a little more detail. This is the best I could come up with. In any event, they and the descriptions listed should help folks learn some of the things to look for. Hope you all find these helpful.