Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Default Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

I started this in response to an answer I gave a guy who seemed to be frustrated with the birds he was following in his boat. Here's my experiences. Remember there are lots of additional variations of what I have seen.

"When you see birds, try to classify in your mind what they are doing. Birds will organize themselves around bait, even if there are no fish feeding, so that's why you will see them sitting in the middle of the water sometimes.

The circling and sporadic diving signifies they have found bait they can reach, while just circling can signify they have found bait that is not yet accessible.

The easiest bird behavior to identify is when they are diving on fish that are blitzing, but as mentioned previously, there are other behaviors you can look for, and variations of the ones I mentioned, that will also help you to find fish. Hope this helps. "

If any one else has perspectives or experiences to add to this, I would appreciate hearing them.

Seagulls and Salmon

working the birds

Thanks for posting up the videos, Plugcrazy. Gunny/Stripercoast1 also put up a good thread about birds and the 3 types of blitzes. I thought of that after I posted this thread. I thought of combining them, but his is pretty specific and deserves it's own space, good read.

Here's a link to it:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5061

I have also seen seagulls near the water edge feeding on beached peanuts. from a distance it look like they where just sitting around, but what was out of place was the wind was blow NW and they where face E. Seagulls almost alway face the wind. I investigated and got into a memorable blitz. It was this time of the year 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    Seagulls almost alway face the wind. I investigated and got into a memorable blitz. It was this time of the year 2003.
    I never noticed that until I read it here. I did notice that when they are gathered up on the shore it means either bad weather is coming or they are waiting for food at some future time. Like they may have seen baitfish yesterday for an hour, and they show up today because those baitfish might show up today. Thanks vpass.

Default Gannets and gannet behavior

I'm posting this to help to educate us about what kinds of birds gannets are, what they eat, and what their behavior means.

I decided it was necessary because at a few other places there are some people talking about the following:

1. Gannets diving on adult bunker.
    2. Gannets being in the RB on small bait "like bay anchovies".

I don't want to get into pizzing contests with anyone here or in cyberspace. If the above scenarios are what the people reporting them believe they saw, it's certainly possible. But realistically, I think we need to educate people as to the behavior and feeding habits of gannets so people have a better idea of what they're seeing and why they're seeing it...

(and if they saw gannets at all. It's quite common for some people to confuse seagulls with gannets.)

However, if you have been around and fishing for a number of years, you learn to distinguish the difference. To me, there is no mistaking the dive bombing Kamikaze ferociousness of gannet behavior.

I love watching them crash on bait, knowing that often there are big bass underneath. Frequently the gannets are the only indicator that the bass are there, as feeding bass will sometimes not even break the surface if there are only a few bass and the school of forage fish is large enough.

To begin with, gannets take a high speed dive into the water to get their food. It's a pretty cool sight to watch. They primarily feed on herring and similar sized bigger bait in the ocean because that's the right size food for them. They could kill themselves if diving on tightly packed schools of horse bunker. They do eat adult bunker given the right conditions.

As for smaller bait like anchovies, it might be possible, but they would rather eat herring and bait in that size range. The ideal size range is indicated in bold below. I did this to show that all things are possible, but you have to ask yourself as a fisherman which scenarios are likely.

That's why when spotted in early Spring and late Fall they're a great indicator of herring schools. You see them a lot early and late season when the herring are moving through an area. As mentioned, they could also be on bunker, if the bunker are not densely packed.

You can see them in the deeper bay waters, or the ocean. Whenever you see them, it's an awesome sight.

Default Gannet pics and videos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gannet diving.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	10728

Name:	gannet_diving.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	10729

Name:	gannets.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	10730

Name:	gannett_dive_series_-_small.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	10731

"Gannets are plunge divers and will dive into the sea from heights of 100 feet or more in pursuit of
    caplin, herring, mackerel, menhaden, squid, and other prey."
    http://www.shltrip.com/Crossing_Delaware_Bay.html

[* Notice here it says "menhaden" which are bunker. I specifically looked for a quote describing all the fish gannets are known to dive for so people would learn that there are differences. Gannets will never pass a meal up of peanuts or juvenile bunker And there are times wehn they will feed on adult bunker if the bunker are not tightly schooled. As it says, they are opportunistic feeders. The "small anchovies" that others reported them diving on was more likely schools of large spearing, which we have recently noted to be in the area. I just wanted to clear that up. ]

Gannet behavior I:

It's most likely that gannets found along our Eastern US coastline are northern gannets.

http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/spe...s/introduction

Introduction

Adult Northern Gannets, with chick
    Figure 1. Distribution of the Northern Gannet in North America.

This heavyweight among the plunge-divers of the world breeds in often huge, always dense, and extremely raucous colonies on precipitous mainland cliffs, islands, and stacks. As a breeding bird, the Northern Gannet is confined to the continental-shelf waters on both sides of the North Atlantic. In the eastern North Atlantic, it is distributed in 32 colonies from the coast of Brittany in France north to Norway, with its main concentration north and west of Scotland (Nelson 2002). In North America, it is restricted to just 6 well-established colonies: 3 in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Québec, and 3 in the North Atlantic off the coast of Newfoundland.

This species is monomorphic, with sexes similar in size and appearance. Pairs usually bond monogamously for life, and both mates participate in all aspects of parental care, though sharing of the activities varies over the course of the nesting cycle. The species has a rich repertoire of picturesque sexual and aggressive behaviors for maintaining pair bonds and living in close contact with its neighbors. The female lays a single egg, which is incubated under the highly vascularized webs of the feet (gannets do not have a brood patch).

Hatchlings are altricial, with essentially no motor coordination or thermoregulatory capacity, but they develop rapidly during the 13-week nestling period, attaining peak weights at 8–9 weeks of age of up to 50% more than adults. At 13 weeks, chicks depart from nest sites by jumping from their nesting ledges and flying/gliding 400–500 meters from the colony into the water. Unable to rise from the water because of their excessive weight and still without fully developed wing muscles, they begin a southward migration to middle Atlantic regions. Mortality during the first year is high, but those birds that survive have a strong tendency to return during their second or third year to the same colony in which they were hatched.

Like other seabirds, the Northern Gannet takes several years to attain adult plumage, going through various stages of mottled dark-and-white plumages before becoming pure white with black wing-tips at 4–5 years of age. At maturity, the male begins the arduous process of acquiring a breeding site in the colony and attracting a mate. Once acquired, it is likely to be the pair’s nest site for the rest of their lives, where they will raise 1 chick per year. Reproductive success (that is, eggs producing fledging young) at colonies is generally high (>75%), and most colonies today are increasing in population size at a rate of about 3.0–3.5% per year.

The Northern Gannet is a voracious forager, feeding on shoaling fish by plunge-diving. As an opportunistic feeder, it utilizes prey species as they become available through the season, but prefers larger (more than 30.0 cm), more energy-rich (7.0 kJ/g) species over smaller, lower-energy species, and often forages up to several hundred kilometers from its nesting colony to locate such prey. The average annual harvest of squid and mackerel (Scomber scombrus) in Newfoundland by Northern Gannets often exceeds that of the total commercial landings (Montevecchi et al. 1988). Foraging is not without its risks, and mortality of adult gannets is fairly high as a result of fishing accidents, entanglement in nets, and, albeit less today than in the past, persecution by fishermen.

Gannet behavior II

Gannets on pilchards

http://www.answers.com/topic/solan-goose-1
    Ecology
    Gannet pairs may remain together over several seasons. They perform elaborate greeting rituals at the nest, stretching their bills and necks skywards and gently tapping bills together.

They are migratory and most winter at sea, heading further south in the Atlantic.

These birds are spectacular divers, plunging into the ocean at high speed. Although they are pul and agile fliers, they are clumsy in takeoffs and landings. They mainly eat small fish (2.5-30.5 cm in length) which gather in groups near the surface. Virtually any small fish (roughly 80-90% of the diet) or other small pelagic species (largely squid) will be taken opportunistically.

**Various cod, smelt and herring species are most frequently taken.[4]

Although Northern Gannet populations are now stable, their numbers were once greatly reduced due to loss of habitat, removal of eggs and killing of adults.
    Predators of eggs and nestlings include great black-backed and herring gulls, common ravens, ermine and red fox. The only known natural predator of adults is the bald eagle, though large sharks and seals may rarely snatch a gannet out at sea.[5]

Old names for the Northern Gannet include solan, solan goose and solant bird.

Gannets on sardines

listen up cause SOS knows birds

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

hey dark u are going to open upa can of worms with the bird stuff get worms bird stuff

Don't worry about the ball busting Dark, you know that's because we like you. I think you did a good job with the gannet info. And you are right, I am amazed at how many people confuse seagulls with gannets. Online research is so easy now. When I grew up we had to go the library to do this stuff.

The birds tell us when SOS is around doing his scouting.

Default Birds working

There are a couple scenarios fo birds out on the water that I want to see what you guys know or think about.

The infamous one is birds actually working an area a diving all over that spot. No need to comment on this one, because we all know what that is all about.

How about seeing a flock of birds swarming in the air circling an area, but never diving into the water? It's almost as if they have spotted bait, but can't get to it.

The 3rd is all the birds just sitting in a area after they swarmed around it a few minutes?

Do the 2nd two scenarios mean anything to us as fisherman? What are you guys thoughts?
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    There are a couple scenarios fo birds out on the water that I want to see what you guys know or think about.

The infamous one is birds actually working an area a diving all over that spot. No need to comment on this one, because we all know what that is all about.

Do the 2nd two scenarios mean anything to us as fisherman? What are you guys thoughts?

2.How about seeing a flock of birds swarming in the air circling an area, but never diving into the water? It's almost as if they have spotted bait, but can't get to it.

3.The 3rd is all the birds just sitting in a area after they swarmed around it a few minutes?

Cardoc for #2 above it could be that the bait is too deep. They see the profile but cannot reach it, so they circle.
    For #3 if could be if they are on the water that again the bait is not within reach and they are waiting for the fish to push it up closer to the surface.

There was a good thread on bird behavior here -
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5061

I was right Cardoc. Dynamic duo buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    listen up cause SOS knows birds
    I guess you really do know your birds DS. Grats to you and Stripercoast for laying down this info. I saw birds the other day, not many fish under them. But last week in ocean county I saw gannets diving just beyond our casts. I also saw boats in the area hooking up, I'm assuming they were over bass and some kind of big bait.
    It's a thrill to watch them kamikaze dive into the water. I checked out that other thread you have highlighted too. Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    hey dark u are going to open upa can of worms with the bird stuff get worms bird stuff
    What can I say, G!

And Pebbles, what can I say, she can bust me anytime, special priveleges....

I came across a large body of bait the other night, in 46 degree water...with a few hundred birds sitting on them. the birds wouldn't move despite the diffulty they had in maintaining their position.

In situations like that, it's always a good idea to work the area for predators, There weren't many there, but at least I worked it hard to find that out....

Thanks again to Ed for his perspective as well.

Default Re: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Birds and Winter Herring......

Back in late December when the water was a little warmer there were schools of herring......
    Most of these schools didn't have bass under them, they just moved up and down the coast....

As opposed to bunker, which sometimes stay closer to the surface as they feed, these herring were only visible by looking for a dark stain....

The birds could see them, though....with crystal clear clarity and perfect vision they would gather around the schools waiting for something to happen...it often never did, but the birds would wait anyway......

The following are pics I took one such cold dreary morning....

Thought some of ya's might like to see what I saw, the subtle signs......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast