Thread: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    hey dark u are going to open upa can of worms with the bird stuff get worms bird stuff
    What can I say, G!

And Pebbles, what can I say, she can bust me anytime, special priveleges....

I came across a large body of bait the other night, in 46 degree water...with a few hundred birds sitting on them. the birds wouldn't move despite the diffulty they had in maintaining their position.

In situations like that, it's always a good idea to work the area for predators, There weren't many there, but at least I worked it hard to find that out....

Thanks again to Ed for his perspective as well.

Default Re: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

Birds and Winter Herring......

Back in late December when the water was a little warmer there were schools of herring......
    Most of these schools didn't have bass under them, they just moved up and down the coast....

As opposed to bunker, which sometimes stay closer to the surface as they feed, these herring were only visible by looking for a dark stain....

The birds could see them, though....with crystal clear clarity and perfect vision they would gather around the schools waiting for something to happen...it often never did, but the birds would wait anyway......

The following are pics I took one such cold dreary morning....

Thought some of ya's might like to see what I saw, the subtle signs......

Stage 1 - the birds know the fish are there. They can see them and sometimes smell them, but there is no real activity from predators. So the birds will tend to group up where the bait is.

Some groups sit exactly over them on the water waiting for something to happen. Others sit on the shore looking for telltale clues from the ones over the fish that the action is ramping up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2775.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	16088

Name:	IMGP2776.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	16089

Name:	IMGP2778.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	16090

The above pics show a group of birds sitting on a school of herring about 250' out....it's hard to see because it is a cloudy day. I took very large pics to study this at home, but had to downsize them to post. For anyone who finds it hard to see the best advice I can give is you can sometimes tell, if there is a lot of bait, where you will see a portion of the water stained darker than the rest.

With bunker it's easier to tell, because they are sometimes feeding on top.
    Maybe others have experienced differently, but I have never found herring feeding on top in the daytime....it's usually the case that they are more mid-level, suspended from the bottom. So with herring, you need to be a little more perceptive than with bunker. If you want to do the same scouting, you have to teach yourself to recognize signs that bait is there, even when there are no predators to make it obvious.

As I post the rest of the pics, some viewers with sharp eyes will notice the herring as the darker stain I am talking about.
    I believe this day there were 2 distinct bands of herring, one larger and one smaller.
    It's hard to see that from these pics.

I prefer to do most of my scouting on overcast days....

I wish these pics could show a little more detail. This is the best I could come up with. In any event, they and the descriptions listed should help folks learn some of the things to look for. Hope you all find these helpful.

You really do some serious scouting dark. I guess it pays off in the long run. Thanks for sharing the information.

Beg to differ with you here my friend
    Looks like birds sitting in the water to stay warm or resting on the water where they lost sight of the bait, its the last know spot they saw bait . We follow this pattern in the boat bass and tuna fishing as we start a search pattern near the sitting birds usually in the direction the current is running. Birds fly high in the sky over herring and other schools of bait so they can keep an eye on them as they move around allot sometimes at fast speeds. The higher the birds the deeper the bait, lower flying birds usually indicate fish are pushing bait to surface and it may be an easy meal. This holds true for most seabirds except for gulls which hang on the beach. All sea birds always face into the wind as it don't ruffle their feathers. Most importantly waiting for the smell of a baits scent given off when they are being attacked. On the ocean bunker being attacked give off the smell of rotten eggs

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^^ bickering again finchaser? You two fight more than cats and dogs. Why don't you give the guy a break? On 2nd thought don't bother, I'll just go buy some popcorn and watch.