Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sea bird behavior and what it tells us

This is a great thread.
    Thanks for bringing it to the top SS.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    dark I hate to stir the pot but I can't help myself!
    finchaser was fishing this morning and the gannets were diving on herring. I posted this in the nj fishing reports-

finchaser Are you and dark going to get into another fight about herring and gannets this year? Looking forward to it. I'll cook some popcorn.

dark Where were you with the camera? Enquiring minds want to know.
    Steve, I said Pebbles and I were making soup and you wanted some.....
    Now ya want to see me and Fin ?
    No soup for you!
    Don't worry, we enough on a regular basis that we don't have to do it here on the internet.....

Sorry to disappoint.....
    I've turned over a new leaf....my new goal is to be as mellow as Monty.....(without the premise of bail money)

** BTW if anyone is thinking about going out and getting winter herring...they are starting to show up.....The OGB scouted them out.....

aaah you're as bad as the soup nazi ds. you know I was just busting I hope! I really do enjoy that back and forth between you and finchaser. Maybe I was a little bored when I posted that. Fishing is ending way too early this season. thanks for the news on the herring.

This bird is going to do other stuff until spring.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...3929F50374CD23

Very cool. Who would have thougt that birds could learn that.

What about the comorants or loons what ever they areyou no the ones that dive under for a few then pop up some where else..I always seem to find a few fish when ever they are in front of me or near by..I use them as a way to find some sort of bait in the water when i cant physically see it..Am i right in thinking this? I like to think that if they are in the area its got to be for a reason like a easy meali always see them this time of year by the rocks...Had 1 yesterday infront of me for a good hour or so and sure enuff i found a fish right where he was diving..Just curious what you "bird pros"think!

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    .Just curious what you "bird pros"think!
    Darkskies is a Bird Guru.
    He should be all over this.
    Whenever I have a bird question he is the guy I turn to.
    Be it Swans, Loons, Terns, Cormorants... if it has wings and is in water he is the GTBG (Go To Bird Guy).

Fished this morning got 2 small washed out looking resident fish lots of loons diving and coming up with sand eels water down to 42 the end is near will try this afternoon as the afternoon bite seems better than the morning.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtbg.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	17856

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    if it has wings and is in water he is the GTBG (Go To Bird Guy).
    Every time I try to distance myself from this rep, it's friends like you who pull me back in to it...
    That was funny though, thanks for the laughs....
    Maybe I can help out with a few thoughts.......

Note...
    Finchaser is the real bird expert, although he will flat out deny this....

I've been out tuna fishing with him and he spotted a small group of tuna chicks from a mile away, without binocs....pretty impressive when you consider these birds fly very close to the water.
    He also can go on and on....an on....about any bird out there......much more than I can.....if you need a birdwatching guide, book him now....he has special Winter Rates.......

What about the comorants or loons what ever they areyou no the ones that dive under for a few then pop up some where else..I always seem to find a few fish when ever they are in front of me or near by..I use them as a way to find some sort of bait in the water when i cant physically see it..Am i right in thinking this? I like to think that if they are in the area its got to be for a reason like a easy meal
    Blazin and others, good analysis and deduction. Some birds are lazy and in my experience tend to hang out where the most abundant source of food is. Looking at their behavior and figuring out what and why, has definitely helped me to catch more fish.

There are certain times of year when I analyze bird crap in key areas...it gives me clues as to what they are feeding on and if the seasonal forage I'm looking for is there in any numbers.

Cormorant/Loon Change-over......Finchaser already mentioned it and has talked about it in the past.
    When the water gets colder and the season transitions into Winter, many of the cormorants leave and are replaced by loons. To me they are pretty cool birds, I love watching them...
    These are what you most likely saw, in the area you were fishing....

Some of our Fall Saltwater Birds......

1. Cormorants:
    I do kind of dislike the cormorants though...as they have decimated some key forage species in certain areas, and are hated for doing that. There are some communities where they have decimated the trout so badly that private citizens put a bounty on killing them. The problem is they will eat just about anything. If a juvenile forage fish population is in a fragile stage, they can, and have, wiped that population out of that area. I really don't like them, and think of them as the welfare cheats of the bird world. (JMO)

On my kayak trips to the LI Sound I see them by the hundreds on the rocky islands out there. They also like to hang out near bridges, canals, and inlets. They know when the fish are there, those areas will have the highest concentrations.

2. Loons:
    As fin and others mentioned, they come in when the water gets cold as part of their Winter migration south. They are often accompanied by these small seagulls known as Bonaparte's gulls.

If you see birds swimming in areas and diving down this time of year, they are likely to be loons. (As opposed to gannets, which usually circle in the air, and have the remarkable plunge dives as their way of catching)
    I remember trips to Quebec fishing for pike on remote lakes. A day was not complete unless you heard or saw one of these cool looking birds on the water. Their call has given birth to the phrase "crazy as a loon"...which is probably how some of the fishermen out there describe me...

Loon behavior - they will swim in the water with their heads just below, scanning for food....When they find it they dive down quickly and grab it. I never get tired of watching them. Right now they are likely feeding on sand eels but will eat many tiny things that move.

3. Bonaparte's gulls:
    They often are found around loons when loons are actively searching for food. They will circle around them at times, knowing that they are good hunters. They use the loons to find areas where fish are most highly concentrated.
    They summer up north, Maine to Canada, and are (usually) only found down in our area this time of year, on a migrational path down to Southern US, Gulf of Mexico, and parts of Mexico/Central America for the Winter. (you will also see more snowy owls in barrier areas this time of year as well, as they too make stops on their southern migrational path)

Bonaparte's gulls are one of the smallest gulls out there. The black head that they sometimes have, is not always apparent this time of year. They change a bit during the molting process and mostly look like other gulls, but with a black spot near the head.

They fly along above the water looking for small fish (IE rainfish, spearing, small sand eels). They sometimes dive in when they spot bait close to the surface or when foraging fish push it upwards in the water column.

**Learning about these birds and their behavior is a good way become a better fisherman.

I'm always poking and prodding around rocks, inlets, and sod banks, and bridges when I'm out there to see what forage fish are around. This knowledge is exciting to me. Letting birds do part of your scouting for you is a smart strategy for any fisherman who wants to catch more fish.

I mentioned the difference in color on Bonaparte's gulls. Here are a few pics. Note that in our area we are more likely to see just the black dot on the head, which may help you to distinguish them from other gulls.

Name:	bonapartes gull.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	17857

This pic represents what you are more likely to see, right now.

Name:	bonapartes gull winter.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	17858

Some videos of these birds feeding, etc........

This is of Bonaparte's gulls on the water. You can see most of them have molted and are most easily identified by the black spot behind the eyes.

Loon looking for food......to me, they are one of our most interesting looking Winter birds....

Good read ds thanks for sharing.

Awesome read thank you for posting that ds. You are right about the Sound. We may not have as much diversity as you do but have cormorants up the ying yang. They are all over.

^^^^^ In china it's worse. They use them to fish and some of the chinese rivers are overfished because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    **Learning about these birds and their behavior is a good way become a better fisherman.
    Awesome read GTBG, thank you!

Terrific info DS Thanks!! And thanks for the videos..I had both of those birds by me i belive on Tuesdays outing..Never new about the gulls just assumed they were the realur ones seen on the beach..Im ALWAYS looking to inform myself of was in the areas i fish..Like you said i look at the bird crap on the rocks to get an idea of whats on the menu..along with flipping rtocks to see what lies beneth ..My next time out im bringing my good camera to get some shots for my log book...Im also looking to figure out the different types of crabs.. saw a few different kinds walking the sand tuesday but that can be a different thread!

Well done ds. blazin there is a thread on crabs that is pretty interesting.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...crabs-and-bait

Thanks for the link buckethead!! Thats what i was looking for!

Terrific info DS Thanks!! Like you said i look at the bird crap on the rocks to get an idea of whats on the menu..along with flipping rtocks to see what lies beneth ..
    M...and others.....thanks for the kind words....There aren't many of us out there who will go to that extent....I felt like some of the mooks here would have busted my balls about that...it's definitely an indication of compulsiveness......I think if you're doing it, it shows how far gone you are, as well.....

I don't think there's a cure.....except to catch a fish to make all those hours seem justified.......

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    fished this morning before blow some bigger fish were pushed in all between 24 and 32 inches I had 2 to 28 my friend had 6 to 32 and my other friend had at 2 to 27 all were released all caught on 2 ounce Hopkins believe they were chasing sea herring as gannets were diving..

Here's the troll question of the week, either dark or finchaser can answer or anyone else who thinks he knows. I was out scouting the surf last week and looking for some new places to fish. I came across these birds sitting on the water. It was pretty warm that day the land must of been 60 degrees the water was about 39 (used a baby thermometer). Can anyone tell me why those birds were sitting on the cold water instead of the warm sand? Herring or shad under them? Maybe sandeels? This was by an inlet btw. thanks

Name:	PIC23-89554.jpg 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	18080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC23-89955.jpg 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	18081

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast