Thread: NJ shore Memories and Old-time fishermen from the past...

Hybrid View

My Dad used to go on the first NormaK and told me the stories as well. They would use the burlap potato sacks tied to the handrails, and fill them with winter whiting. When the whiting were around thew would fill the sacks. Then the Russian trawlers came and wiped them out, and we have basically a tiny fishery for them today compared what it used to be. Great thread, thanks for sharing.

I fished on the NormaKII with my grandfather. He liked to take me whiting fishing because it was fun and easy fish for a kid to catch. I think he also liked to have me around so I could carry the fish at the end of the day. I would love to be able to go turn the clock one day and fish with gramps again. Great times, brings me back, thanks.

Default Fishing on the party boats, NJ...1950's and later

As related by Finchaser:

Fishing on the party boats, NJ and LI:

NJ fishing:
    "We fished on the fastest of the NJ party boats at that time in the 60's and early 70's, the Superspray.
    And the Buccaneer, which was later declared unfit for commercial use and sank at the dock.

There were no "heated handrails" back then. You suffered, and didn't complain about it.

Miss TakeII - first jigging trip.
    Capt Whitey Morenz brought us as guinea pigs on his first jigging trip - before that they always used bait for bass and blues. He was trying out these new metal jigs, which later came to be known as diamond jigs or Avas.

We were the first fishermen in NJ to use those jigs, and also the "Bingle bananas"

Also went on Bogan's boats, have been fishing on Bogan's boats for 55 years.

Codfish in NJ:
    Codfish used to be plentiful in NJ until the commercial draggers wiped them out. We used to catch them at the 1 mile marker out of Point Pleasant, Cholera Banks, Klondike, and Manasquan Ridge. No need to go to the 30 mile wrecks, as soon as it got cold, they were out there.

My father took me on a codfish trip in Feb when I was 6 years old. If I said something about how cold it was, he said:
    'You want to be a man, don't ***** about the cold!' "

Here's a pic of Capt. Morenz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capt Whitey Morenz.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	8880

Default Mantaloking

Historic Mantoloking pics. I can't imagine living at a time when the streets were unpaved like this.
    http://www.jerseyshorevacation.com/M...kingImages.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MANTOMainAvenue.jpg   MANTORailroad.jpg  

MANTOBridgeConstruction.jpg   MANTONewBridge2006.jpg  

barnegat and old beach pics

Name:	old barnegat fishing trip.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	8956

Name:	1950s jersey shore.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	8957

The ultimate beach buggy, back before they had air conditioning. Thanks for posting that.