Thread: LI shore Memories and Old-time fishermen from the past...

Hybrid View

I decided to add another dimension to this thread. During the last few days I've met so many old timers and got to listen to them reminiscing how things used to be. In many instances what they are relating is new to me. I soak it up like a sponge, I really enjoy it.

So I'll periodically be putting up snapshots of some old time fishermen in this thread along with some cool fishing stories.

Some of them will be well-known, others maybe you never heard of them. I can promise you I will try to get the funniest or most unusual stories from them, in my usual folksy style.

I hope you people enjoy it. If you have any older fishing friends or relatives you feel should be featured here in this thread, feel free to PM me or e-mail me and I'll see what I can do.

Default Old-time fishermen profiles Long Island: Danny Auriemma

I met some family members of this guy on Saturday in NJ. Joe and his son.

Heard some great stories about Danny Auriemma, and I wanted to share them with you people. He was an avid Montauk fisherman, and I was honored to hear about some of the old fishin ways.

Making your surf gear: some memories...

"Back then they didn't have korkers. You had to make your own rock climbing shoes if you wanted to fish the rocks at Montauk. Danny would take old sneakers or golf shoes and modify them. He and his buddies would take the rubber from studded tires and glue these tough strips to the bottom of sneakers or old sturdy shoes.

They would then swim out to the rocks, and fish from them. They were "skishing"before the term was even invented!

They would use bucktails a lot at Montauk. The other popular presentation would be needlefish. Nothing but needlefish! They didn't need fancy paint and design back then. A sealed plug with a coat of paint, white or black, was all they needed, and they caught tons of fish on them!"

Montauk fishing is always a thrill. I have heard that years ago it was always an amazing place to go. I don't get out there too often now. I would be great to hear the stories Dark. Thanks for taking the time to put them up.