"Decided to go fishing last night pretending that the full moon would not have a big effect. .. I am never fishing a full moon without clouds again, just not worth it."

I put this up here not to embarass C4, but because it's something I have said to myself time and time again. I'll bet quite a few guys have said it to themselves as well.

When the fishing is bad, is it really because of the full moon, or are there other factors?

Does the brighter light spook the fish or make them more wary? Isn't the stronger current a more important factor to focus on?

Surf fishing books mention beginning and ending stages of the moon as stimulating a greater innate feeding behavior by striped bass. The greater current is one factor in disorienting baitfish, causing some to be more easily eaten.

There are countless other factors, issues and questions.

Does it matter if you fish on a cloudless full moon or it's overcast?
I think so. IMO when the night is overcast, it doesn't make one difference whether that moon is full, other than you have to decide what spots you will hit if there is current involved, and at what stage of the tide.

Does it matter if you fish bait or artificials when the moon is full on a cloudless night?
I definitely think so, and feel the bait sitting there will work better on a cloudless night, than some artificial presentations.
I would also point out that when you have a "fire in the water" situation where phosphorescence is present, fishing bait may give some anglers an edge because I feel it looks more natural sitting in the water than the plug you're throwing that looks like it's possessed.

Of course, all of these behaviors depend on how hungry the fish are and IF they are on the feed at that time.

I'm not claiming to be right here in all instances. These are merely my observations, and I'd like to hear yours.

For those who would completely discount fishin during the full moon tide, I would point out that Al McReynolds got his world record surf-caught bass during a noreast weather pattern, which happened to occur during a full moon.

So let's hear what you guys and girls think, and about your experiences, no right or wrong answers here.