Thread: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Hybrid View

Two words about this moon. Be careful. Last night at high tide water seemed about 2 feet higher than usual.

Some more good info here, people. Just for sake of comparison, my best successes lately have been fishing the full and new moon tides for the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Some quick numbers....
    -August to Sept - new to Full, to new moon tides - 51 bass, all smaller fish, night tides during these cycles
    -Sept- Full moon - 22 bass, 2 nights of fishing. These were small, but 3 fish legal size in that number.
    -Oct new moon - 2 nights fishing, skunked both nights. This was mostly due to my stubbornness in not wanting to fish where other groups were clustered up. I fished many of my usual spots, finding multiple crews at each location. Shifted goals to less popular areas. I was unwilling to abandon my strategy of finding fish in unpopular spots with no crowds, and as a result I failed.

** I posted those numbers not to brag but to let others know if you pay attention to seasonal patterns you can find a few fish. For the cycle where I managed the 51 bass I was fishing hard. Every night during the desired moon cycle, I was out there. Some nights were better than others, and I still failed in some of my predictions. As others have mentioned, fishing was very inconsistent for me, even when I thought I had a good bite and it would continue for days....things gradually petered out...the searching and changing different locations was constant and intense...I don't think a lot of others would have thought it worthwhile...with all the hours I put in for those fish.

**The solitude is more important than catching to me most nights, so I accept the good and the bad....
    Just had to change it up a bit, and in the last few nights of the full moon have been catching again. Full reports in the night tides thread, -
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-What-it-Takes
    when I get a spare moment....

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Well said dark. Would add to that the full moon has been better for me with cloudy skies. Also the first 3 days on the downside of the full moon have also worked.

No issues with the full moon. Had a pretty good day out east. Started in the dark under bright moon. Fish didnt care.

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    No issues with the full moon. Had a pretty good day out east. Started in the dark under bright moon. Fish didnt care.

Never understand the guys who say they can't catch during a full moon. There was a guy in the tackle shop yesterday - "Woe is me woe is me! I never catch during a full moon!" 26 stripers between yesterday and today says he is an idiot.
    Find the bait and you will find fish.

Very nice, congrats.

The full moon makes the tides stronger, and the highs higher and the lows lower. Just different opportunities. If you're willing to look at it differently and take advantage of that you can still catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Never understand the guys who say they can't catch during a full moon. There was a guy in the tackle shop yesterday - "Woe is me woe is me! I never catch during a full moon!" 26 stripers between yesterday and today says he is an idiot.
    Find the bait and you will find fish.
    What he said^^^^

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again