This is a great thread and I think there are a lot of good points made here.
I wanted to add some comments about the new moon. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would add to this one. I've been fishing hard the past week because of the new moon which occurred on Monday August the 1st.

Remember a few things, guys and girls...
1. The "new moon" or "full moon" is a static date in time, only. It does not signify a magic point.

2. What I'm getting at is that this time period (few days before, few days after) can be one of the most productive for fishing.

3. Lots of guys have a negative bias against the full moon. I will tell you that if you are fishing artificials, and there are phosphorescent jellyfish in the water, it will be a problem for your presentation, and you will be discouraged. However, the same holds true for a new moon. When these jellyfish are around, some type of presentation low in the water column or on the bottom is a better idea.

4. Back to the subject, the moons are good because of higher tides and stronger current. As has been said here, this allows you to fish longer and in areas of structure that otherwise might not hold fish.
5. While I said the dates are not magical, it is still a great time to fish. You still have to find an area that holds the fish.

6. If you have a busy life, and are pressed for time, if you only went out and fished the 2 nights before and after the full and new moons, you would exponentially increase your odds of catching. Whether you do catch or not, that's up to you and the waters you fish in (which I hope you have chosen carefully)