Thread: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Does it matter if you fish bait or artificials when the moon is full on a cloudless night?
    I definitely think so, and feel the bait sitting there will work better on a cloudless night, than some artificial presentations.
    I would also point out that when you have a "fire in the water" situation where phosphorescence is present, fishing bait may give some anglers an edge because I feel it looks more natural sitting in the water than the plug you're throwing that looks like it's possessed.
    That is a good point dark. Lots of folks will not attempt to fish with the fire in the water. A little trick I use is to use dark or black terminal tackle. Shiny brass is too visible during such a cycle.

I HATE fire. I will continue to fish, and I have pulled some out of it, but if it gets too bad I either find some lights to fish near or call it a night.

The moonlight is a different story. With the moon comes higher, bigger water. I will try to find deep structure or some turbulent water. If the bait is being washed through a rip, the bass will be there regardless of how bright it is.

Good thread. As for seasonal variation, I find in the spring when the big bunker are around, the bass will feed throughout a night full moon in a harbor or marina area.