Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Default Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

So do ya bag it all when it's a full moon?

Stay home and watch the Series?

Examine the lint between your toes? Look for fromunda cheese?

Or just spend some quality time with the family?

"Decided to go fishing last night pretending that the full moon would not have a big effect. .. I am never fishing a full moon without clouds again, just not worth it."

I put this up here not to embarass C4, but because it's something I have said to myself time and time again. I'll bet quite a few guys have said it to themselves as well.

When the fishing is bad, is it really because of the full moon, or are there other factors?

Does the brighter light spook the fish or make them more wary? Isn't the stronger current a more important factor to focus on?

Surf fishing books mention beginning and ending stages of the moon as stimulating a greater innate feeding behavior by striped bass. The greater current is one factor in disorienting baitfish, causing some to be more easily eaten.

There are countless other factors, issues and questions.

Does it matter if you fish on a cloudless full moon or it's overcast?
    I think so. IMO when the night is overcast, it doesn't make one difference whether that moon is full, other than you have to decide what spots you will hit if there is current involved, and at what stage of the tide.

Does it matter if you fish bait or artificials when the moon is full on a cloudless night?
    I definitely think so, and feel the bait sitting there will work better on a cloudless night, than some artificial presentations.
    I would also point out that when you have a "fire in the water" situation where phosphorescence is present, fishing bait may give some anglers an edge because I feel it looks more natural sitting in the water than the plug you're throwing that looks like it's possessed.

Of course, all of these behaviors depend on how hungry the fish are and IF they are on the feed at that time.

I'm not claiming to be right here in all instances. These are merely my observations, and I'd like to hear yours.

For those who would completely discount fishin during the full moon tide, I would point out that Al McReynolds got his world record surf-caught bass during a noreast weather pattern, which happened to occur during a full moon.

So let's hear what you guys and girls think, and about your experiences, no right or wrong answers here.

Default Full moon and seasonal variations

I'm not just happy to fish, I have to analyze everything the next morning.

I think either talking to Fin or one of the OFFC guys this morning, it was mentioned that in the late fall, the full moon night bite, dependent on water temperature, is not a great one.

Any other thoughts?

Default Full moon and barometric pressure

Another go to guy is my friend and fishin maniac Zimno, AKA the Demented Weatherman, the King of Photochop.

This guy takes watching weather to the next level of insanity, getting various feeds delivered to his house.

Even though he talks more than me the dude knows stuff!

I mentioned the frustration of 7 1/2 hours of fishin last night when I felt the moon should not have affected the feeding behavior of at least a few nice fish.

He said: "Of course ya didn't catch any fish ya knucklehead, there was a high pressure system last night which gave the fish lockjaw!

So is it the moon, or does high and low pressure have an effect as well? I think pressure is important and have started to pay more attention. However, you can learn so much about barometric pressure if ya want, that a degree would be needed for others to understand. It really has a lot of variables. How do ya separate the important stuff from the minor details so ya know when it's a good time?

For me, I say anytime you can get out is a good time, you might catch a fish despite all the evidence you read telling you you won't.

Example of this is the guys who stand around in the spring waiting for the bunker to come into the pockets so they can sling the big pencils or weighted trebles.

Meanwhile, there are one or 2 guys quietly plugginng away, blind casting. That guy catches a 30, and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose, everyone into action!

My journey as a fisherman is not only about what happens, but learning why, so I can use that knowledge as I travel to other waters. That's why I take so much time to present this stuff to you people, to get you to think for yourselves, instead of following the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Fromunda cheese? Got pics?

I have no problems fishing full moon under clouds at night. For the fall, I say the early morning bite is a good one, moon or no moon.

Default fromunda cheese

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Fromunda cheese? Got pics?
    You sure you want to see pics of that? You're not gay, are you?

fromunda cheese-
    Meaning "From Under" - Australian Style.
    Commonly known as Smegma, dead skin cells that accumulate in areas of poor ventilation and usually associated with sweaty areas. ie; Belly Buttons and a woman's vaginal area. Most seen on those who don't properly bathe!
    "Dude, I went down on my date last night and she had a horrible case of Fromunda Cheese, I couldn't finish the act!"

No I have a fascination with the gross and unusual. Any problem with that? Why would you ask a question like that?

Does it matter if you fish bait or artificials when the moon is full on a cloudless night?
    I definitely think so, and feel the bait sitting there will work better on a cloudless night, than some artificial presentations.
    I would also point out that when you have a "fire in the water" situation where phosphorescence is present, fishing bait may give some anglers an edge because I feel it looks more natural sitting in the water than the plug you're throwing that looks like it's possessed.
    That is a good point dark. Lots of folks will not attempt to fish with the fire in the water. A little trick I use is to use dark or black terminal tackle. Shiny brass is too visible during such a cycle.

I HATE fire. I will continue to fish, and I have pulled some out of it, but if it gets too bad I either find some lights to fish near or call it a night.

The moonlight is a different story. With the moon comes higher, bigger water. I will try to find deep structure or some turbulent water. If the bait is being washed through a rip, the bass will be there regardless of how bright it is.

Good thread. As for seasonal variation, I find in the spring when the big bunker are around, the bass will feed throughout a night full moon in a harbor or marina area.

For those who would completely discount fishin during the full moon tide, I would point out that Al McReynolds got his world record surf-caught bass during a noreast weather pattern, which happened to occur during a full moon.
    Fish are all on vacation during the full moon. Might as well stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    No I have a fascination with the gross and unusual. Any problem with that? Why would you ask a question like that?

Steve, all in fun, I meant nothing by it. I couldn't imagine a guy who wanted to see smegma pics. I have been plagued with this at times, and it just struck me as an unusual pic request. No hard feelings, here's some links for that kind of stuff, enjoy.

www.ebaumsworld.com
    www.rotten.com

And, if you really want a view of the sickest chit out there, try efukt. I'm not going to put the link because Dark might censor it, so just search and add dot com. Happy hunting, I wouldn't advise eating a sandwich while you're browsing there.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Steve, all in fun, I meant nothing by it. I couldn't imagine a guy who wanted to see smegma pics. I have been plagued with this at times, and it just struck me as an unusual pic request. No hard feelings, here's some links for that kind of stuff, enjoy.

www.ebaumsworld.com
    www.rotten.com

And, if you really want a view of the sickest chit out there, try efukt. I'm not going to put the link because Dark might censor it, so just search and add dot com. Happy hunting, I wouldn't advise eating a sandwich while you're browsing there.
    Boy there are some sick people on here! I know ebaums but I went to the others, the sickness knows no limits!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    I have no problems fishing full moon under clouds at night. For the fall, I say the early morning bite is a good one, moon or no moon.

What he said

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

you forgot your bird watching

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    you forgot your bird watching
    Didn't I tell you about our new forum called "birds have feelings too". We're rolling it out next week, thought you should be among the first to know...

[Look for our new video forums, "birds have feelings too" and how to close down a beach for half a season for a few non-existent birds. ]
    (posts#13 & 17, I filmed a video documenting they kept the beach areas closed for WEEKS after the plovers were long gone)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...?t=3374&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    fromunda cheese-
    Meaning "From Under" - Australian Style.
    Commonly known as Smegma, dead skin cells that accumulate in areas of poor ventilation and usually associated with sweaty areas. ie; Belly Buttons and a woman's vaginal area. Most seen on those who don't properly bathe!
    "Dude, I went down on my date last night and she had a horrible case of Fromunda Cheese, I couldn't finish the act!"
    My life is so much more complete now that I know all about fromunda cheese, thanks.

For some reason I have always done better with bait during a full moon. Maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    For some reason I have always done better with bait during a full moon. Maybe that's just me.
    Bait, pogy chunks, eels, etc, some striper magnets during a full moon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast