Thread: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Hybrid View

Default Full moon and seasonal variations

I'm not just happy to fish, I have to analyze everything the next morning.

I think either talking to Fin or one of the OFFC guys this morning, it was mentioned that in the late fall, the full moon night bite, dependent on water temperature, is not a great one.

Any other thoughts?

Default Full moon and barometric pressure

Another go to guy is my friend and fishin maniac Zimno, AKA the Demented Weatherman, the King of Photochop.

This guy takes watching weather to the next level of insanity, getting various feeds delivered to his house.

Even though he talks more than me the dude knows stuff!

I mentioned the frustration of 7 1/2 hours of fishin last night when I felt the moon should not have affected the feeding behavior of at least a few nice fish.

He said: "Of course ya didn't catch any fish ya knucklehead, there was a high pressure system last night which gave the fish lockjaw!

So is it the moon, or does high and low pressure have an effect as well? I think pressure is important and have started to pay more attention. However, you can learn so much about barometric pressure if ya want, that a degree would be needed for others to understand. It really has a lot of variables. How do ya separate the important stuff from the minor details so ya know when it's a good time?

For me, I say anytime you can get out is a good time, you might catch a fish despite all the evidence you read telling you you won't.

Example of this is the guys who stand around in the spring waiting for the bunker to come into the pockets so they can sling the big pencils or weighted trebles.

Meanwhile, there are one or 2 guys quietly plugginng away, blind casting. That guy catches a 30, and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose, everyone into action!

My journey as a fisherman is not only about what happens, but learning why, so I can use that knowledge as I travel to other waters. That's why I take so much time to present this stuff to you people, to get you to think for yourselves, instead of following the herd.