Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

The full moon is coming in a few days, get your bait set ups ready.

Yeah, the surf has been way high the last 2 days.

So is anyone going to make any predictions on how fishing will be during the first full moon of the fishing season? I think it is on the 20th. Do you guys think it will make a difference?

I think when you are plugging with top water and swimmers it can be a disadvantage because of the brightness. Bucktailing I feel is different because you are further down in the water column, so imo it doesn't matter for that. As for bait fishing, I feel its like a coin toss. Some full moons I have done well, and others I have not. Actually, I like the new moon better than the full. You have roughly the same tidal surge/pull, while you have the absense of the moon's luminescence.
    Forthe moon we have on the 20th, I think they are saying it will be closer to the Earth than at any time in a decade or so. Fishing a back bay that means you will have more time near the top of the tide to fish as it will be noticably higher. It also means if you are fishing the incoming, be careful where you are. Crossing any creeks to get to your location, you may be stranded for a few hours till the tide drops.

This is a great thread and I think there are a lot of good points made here.
    I wanted to add some comments about the new moon. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would add to this one. I've been fishing hard the past week because of the new moon which occurred on Monday August the 1st.

Remember a few things, guys and girls...
    1. The "new moon" or "full moon" is a static date in time, only. It does not signify a magic point.

2. What I'm getting at is that this time period (few days before, few days after) can be one of the most productive for fishing.

3. Lots of guys have a negative bias against the full moon. I will tell you that if you are fishing artificials, and there are phosphorescent jellyfish in the water, it will be a problem for your presentation, and you will be discouraged. However, the same holds true for a new moon. When these jellyfish are around, some type of presentation low in the water column or on the bottom is a better idea.

4. Back to the subject, the moons are good because of higher tides and stronger current. As has been said here, this allows you to fish longer and in areas of structure that otherwise might not hold fish.
    5. While I said the dates are not magical, it is still a great time to fish. You still have to find an area that holds the fish.

6. If you have a busy life, and are pressed for time, if you only went out and fished the 2 nights before and after the full and new moons, you would exponentially increase your odds of catching. Whether you do catch or not, that's up to you and the waters you fish in (which I hope you have chosen carefully)

You won't be doing much surf fishing after the hurricane and this new moon. The beach will be a mess for a few days and could be dangerous. Be safe, folks.

Moon obscured by clouds - pay very close attention to the distinction between this and a full moon in a bright sky, folks...I'll try to add more to this when there is time. Meanwhile, feel free to comment...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    6. If you have a busy life, and are pressed for time, if you only went out and fished the 2 nights before and after the full and new moons, you would exponentially increase your odds of catching. Whether you do catch or not, that's up to you and the waters you fish in (which I hope you have chosen carefully)
    everytime I read one of these threads I am impressed by the wealth of knowledge. Not only do you seem to love everything about fishing, you are not stuck up about sharing it. Thank you for great threads like this. I actually thought the full moon turned off the bite, but then Al McReynolds supposedly caught his trophy on the full moon, so go figure.

^ Me too surferman. Lots of great tips here, and dispelling of myths. New moon coming up next week. My favorite new and full moon cycle is April and May. I have always done well during those months fishing at night.

Full moon with cloud cover has been good to me.
    3 days before & 3 days after are what i focus on

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFishingMan View Post
    I am hoping for some cloud cover saturday night. They are calling this the super moon, brightest full moon in years.

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for September 2012 www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Still, I have to be out there during the full moon.
    No mater how much experience you gain, there is always more to learn.

Full moon scouting at night.....It gives me a chance to see what has changed and poke and prod looking for different kinds of forage.

Default Re: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Yup and thats what we had last night at the End. It was some good fishing.

full moon fishing cant stand it at all never do well at all

Last year fished Island Beach on the full moon in December, was low tide, was able to wade out to the sand bars and with the the sky being so bright it was awesome being out there. Was my last trip of the season for me, only caught one short but had an incredible time out there fishing cuts, points, troughs and wading out on the bars. Was a great night with the ocean shining from the bright moon and the sky filled with stars. Had not fished there on a night in years, forgot how awesome the place can be at that time.
    Over all catching on full moon nights has been slow for me. The more clouds the better on those nights when the moon is full for me.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Moon obscured by clouds - pay very close attention to the distinction between this and a full moon in a bright sky, folks...I'll try to add more to this when there is time. Meanwhile, feel free to comment...
    I agree with you we should be fishing intensely during this period. I was out last night tho, and the fishing really sucked. Perfect cloud cover and the fish were on vacation. One blue and some hickory shad on bucktail and teaser.

I like new better than full. A double kiss of death in ocean county is when you have a full moon and all that fire in the water whatever that is called. It kills the bite if you are casting when the water is clear. The only way I have been able to combat that and get fish is by throwing bunker or clams so it doesn't move around in the water too much.

Default Re: Following the Night Tides......Do You have What it Takes?

Fishing the Moon Tides.....

Anyone who begins to develop an addiction to fishing...and starts to plan out their trips, as to which place they will be fishing, at which stage of the night tide....knows all too well the importance of the moon tide....

Every time I see someone claim, on the internet
    "Well I didn't catch fish last night, damn full moon!"

If you are using that excuse, maybe you need to re-think your skill set, and ask yourself why you are not finding fish...because most likely it ain't the fault of the moon....

1. You may want to blame fire in the water, phosphorescence...(a common occurrence during warmer months and exascerbated by the brightness of a full moon)
    2. You may want to blame lack of bait, forage....all good reasons for fish not to be there...
    3. You may want to accept that there are less fish around than there used to be, even at night,
    4. You may want to consider that with all the new guys in the game today, there are less fish to go around for us all.
    5. You may want to consider that weather or storm patterns have affected migration in your area...

All of the above would be valid reasons why you may not catch duriing a full moon trip...but if they are not factors...please don't blame the moon.....

The one caveat is that I try to be more cautious in my movements at the waters edge, during a full moon...because I know if fish are in close, they can see me,,,and my movements might spook them....

For a full moon trip, I'm most happy when there is a "full moon obscured by clouds".
    The cloud cover gives me more confidence, and knowledge that if the fish are spooky that night, they will be less wary with the cloud cover...again...this is just my experience,,,yours may be different....

Fishing during the moon tides....
    There are a whole host of things to get excited about.....
    1. Many major bait migrations or movements occur during moon tides.
    2. One needs to only briefly scan the internet fishing reports to see terms like "June New Moon" and "October Harvest Moon" as times of great anticipation among fishermen...and times of great bait migration and movement....
    3. Even without a major bait migration, whatever bait that is available, will be on the move, and at a much faster rate, in the rivers, bays, ocean, and inlets and inlet points,,,
    4. The rapidness with which this bait moves, tends to have it disoriented and less organized in areas of stronger current or turbulence...
    5. This presents perfect ambush opportunities for predators to feed aggressively on fish that may previously have been harder to catch....
    6. With the predators being more active, you, the fisherman who studies these things, has more opportunity to catch them.

As you get more into the game, and see fishing as a challenge of opportunities and openings, it becomes like a big strategy game.....if your strategy is correct you are a genius and will find fish when no one else seems to be able to...if your strategy fails.....you are just another loser, with a fishing addiction...

The best of the best know this....there is a video where Bill Wetzel talks about the conditions that drive him to be out there....
    He describes sitting at work...and the feeling that a particular weather pattern, will bring bigger fish to the beach.....making for the possibility of a great night ......

I have these same compulsions driving me too....

How many others out there, have felt this as well?
    The times, when you know, you just HAVE to be out there.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast