Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk about Full Moon Surf Fishing (and New Moon as well....)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    So do ya bag it all when it's a full moon?

Stay home and watch the Series?

Examine the lint between your toes? Look for fromunda cheese?

Or just spend some quality time with the family?
    you forgot your bird watching

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    you forgot your bird watching
    Didn't I tell you about our new forum called "birds have feelings too". We're rolling it out next week, thought you should be among the first to know...

[Look for our new video forums, "birds have feelings too" and how to close down a beach for half a season for a few non-existent birds. ]
    (posts#13 & 17, I filmed a video documenting they kept the beach areas closed for WEEKS after the plovers were long gone)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...?t=3374&page=2

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for September 2012 www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Still, I have to be out there during the full moon.
    No mater how much experience you gain, there is always more to learn.

Full moon scouting at night.....It gives me a chance to see what has changed and poke and prod looking for different kinds of forage.

Default Re: Following the Night Tides......Do You have What it Takes?

Fishing the Moon Tides.....

Anyone who begins to develop an addiction to fishing...and starts to plan out their trips, as to which place they will be fishing, at which stage of the night tide....knows all too well the importance of the moon tide....

Every time I see someone claim, on the internet
    "Well I didn't catch fish last night, damn full moon!"

If you are using that excuse, maybe you need to re-think your skill set, and ask yourself why you are not finding fish...because most likely it ain't the fault of the moon....

1. You may want to blame fire in the water, phosphorescence...(a common occurrence during warmer months and exascerbated by the brightness of a full moon)
    2. You may want to blame lack of bait, forage....all good reasons for fish not to be there...
    3. You may want to accept that there are less fish around than there used to be, even at night,
    4. You may want to consider that with all the new guys in the game today, there are less fish to go around for us all.
    5. You may want to consider that weather or storm patterns have affected migration in your area...

All of the above would be valid reasons why you may not catch duriing a full moon trip...but if they are not factors...please don't blame the moon.....

The one caveat is that I try to be more cautious in my movements at the waters edge, during a full moon...because I know if fish are in close, they can see me,,,and my movements might spook them....

For a full moon trip, I'm most happy when there is a "full moon obscured by clouds".
    The cloud cover gives me more confidence, and knowledge that if the fish are spooky that night, they will be less wary with the cloud cover...again...this is just my experience,,,yours may be different....

Fishing during the moon tides....
    There are a whole host of things to get excited about.....
    1. Many major bait migrations or movements occur during moon tides.
    2. One needs to only briefly scan the internet fishing reports to see terms like "June New Moon" and "October Harvest Moon" as times of great anticipation among fishermen...and times of great bait migration and movement....
    3. Even without a major bait migration, whatever bait that is available, will be on the move, and at a much faster rate, in the rivers, bays, ocean, and inlets and inlet points,,,
    4. The rapidness with which this bait moves, tends to have it disoriented and less organized in areas of stronger current or turbulence...
    5. This presents perfect ambush opportunities for predators to feed aggressively on fish that may previously have been harder to catch....
    6. With the predators being more active, you, the fisherman who studies these things, has more opportunity to catch them.

As you get more into the game, and see fishing as a challenge of opportunities and openings, it becomes like a big strategy game.....if your strategy is correct you are a genius and will find fish when no one else seems to be able to...if your strategy fails.....you are just another loser, with a fishing addiction...

The best of the best know this....there is a video where Bill Wetzel talks about the conditions that drive him to be out there....
    He describes sitting at work...and the feeling that a particular weather pattern, will bring bigger fish to the beach.....making for the possibility of a great night ......

I have these same compulsions driving me too....

How many others out there, have felt this as well?
    The times, when you know, you just HAVE to be out there.....

The days before and after the Moon Tides......

You will find discussions ad nauseum on internet fishing forums on most preferred moon fishing cycles.....
    Waxing
    Waning,
    Gibbous, etc, etc......

I'm gonna simplify it all for you folks reading this...this is what works for me....
    I make it my business to fish the 2 days before and after each moon tide.....
    This puts your committment to fishing, to 8 nights per month....

If you're compulsive like me, you can make it 3 days before and after...which makes 12 nghts a month, that you absolutely must be out there fishing...

If you fish a lot, you will notice that the tides in between (this is why it's helpful to keep a log...) are generally less productive....
    I call these "weak tide" nights because I feel that's exactly what they represent...weak tides, weak opportunity to catch fish....

Can you catch fish during these "weak" tides?
    Absolutely, if there is a lot of bait around...
    Whenever I am trying to illustrate a point in fishing theory, or what works for me...the absence or presence of bait., trumps all other factors...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12