Thread: Calling the DEP

Default Calling the DEP

I know this has been talked about but what is our responsibility for calling the DEP when someone keeps catching and keeping shorts? Besides the moral issue are there any laws in place?

I keep the DEC number w/me in my cell phone I actually have certain officers cell phone numbers from places I fish and call them directly I do not tolerate anyone keeping short fish out of season fish etc. I make the call and let them handle it if they turn out to be illegals and they know they won't show up in court these guys reposess their fishing gear and they can impound your vehicle if they find short fish in it.

Wink dec

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I keep the DEC number w/me in my cell phone I actually have certain officers cell phone numbers from places I fish and call them directly I do not tolerate anyone keeping short fish out of season fish etc. I make the call and let them handle it if they turn out to be illegals and they know they won't show up in court these guys reposess their fishing gear and they can impound your vehicle if they find short fish in it.
    they should fine them 1000.00 per short then take there gear too.

Make the guys that get caught with shorts do community service cleaning the beaches.

That too plus a big fine

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    they should fine them 1000.00 per short then take there gear too.
    I wish, I think the fine is like $50 per fish, maybe more if you have a head boat license. The fines should definitely be steeper.

I have called the DEC a few times and email him pics of the guys and vehicle. I haven't seen them around anymore

Yeah let them deal with it don't get involved yourself they have a job let them do it.Just Call or take pics(good idea) then they can observe them unmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    Make the guys that get caught with shorts do community service cleaning the beaches.
    This is actually a great idea, they should do this in addition to paying the fine. I doubt judges would ever enforce this though. Too many judges don't take poaching seriously.