Since starting this site, a few people who are helping with the promotions have been to many different places. I have also traveled to some new places, and had great times meeting lots of interesting people.

We have had discussions among ourselves about the many myths going back and forth between recreational and commercial fishermen. Several recreational fishermen we have encountered have expressed a great dislike for the commercial guys, blaming them for everything from the decline in the striper stocks to being greedy in the herring and bunker industries.

Meanwhile, many commercial fishermen we have met, and taken some time to listen to, are upset about the mis-perceptions and blame placed on them by people who read one comment somewhere on the internet, decide it must be true, and want to restrict the commercial guys from making a living.

So how does one separate the truth from the BS?

Where can one find true statements, and solid info to back that up?

What would happen if all commercial fishing was eliminated? Who would satisfy the growing worldwide demand for fish and fish products?

How can one become better informed on these issues, in order to make better decisions and participate in meaningful discussions?

I thought I would make a small attempt to promote a dialogue here to help people analyze some of the situations. Folks can use this info when making their own choices, instead of being influenced by unfounded rumors.

I have seen some of these discussions turn into shouting matches on other boards. I will give people great latitude to express their opinions here, that's part of mature rational discussions.

If you have any valid evidence to back your statement or opinion, please submit it with your statement. If this thread does turn into a shouting match, I would be forced to edit or delete posts that attack the character of others.

At then end of the day, no matter what walk of life we come from, many are drawn here because we love fishing. That's no different for commercials or recreationals. We all get up every day, and have to work hard to support our families and try for a better future for them.

Bearing that in mind, feel free to air any opinions here, even if they are resentments, as long as you don't personally attack the motives of another member. Back up your opinions when you can, it will add to your credibility.

Even if you can't back up your opinions with data, but have anecdotal evidence, it would be great to hash it out here.

Let's see if we can get a clearer understanding of the perceptions that create hard feelings, and learn something in the process.