Thread: Discussion1: How would you fish this?

Default Discussion1: How would you fish this?

This is the first installment of the Stripers and Anglers video series called:

"How would you fish this?"

Remember there are no right and wrong answers.

* Don't be intimidated to answer, as some of you may not have a lot of experience fishing a certain piece of water.

* What I want to do for people is to give them the discipline to start challenging themselves in different bodies of water.

* When you learn one area or technique well, you should be able to apply it to similar areas, and be able to recognize the similarities.

Moving current past a rock jetty.

Feel free to qualify your answers as to Day or Night fishing, as mine would be different during these different times as well.

Last edited by DarkSkies; 04-12-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: respond to Surfstix's question

Day or Night?

I like fishing the "seams" of a current. In this situation I like to start fishing from the middle of the jetty and casting toward the current that's coming around the jetty tip, letting my plug get swept along the current, away from me. As the line tightens the plug will start to swing toward the seam, toward the calmer water. It is here that you'll likely get a hit as the fish tend to hold outside of the currect, in the eddy that the jetty creates.

A slow-sinking plug such as a needle fish, eel or Slugo works exceptionally well in this situation. Let the plug get swept in the current and once it reaches the eddy it will slowly fall. Stay connected with your plug because this is the time it should get eaten.

I try to fish out front of the jetty, butr just to the side. When the current is strong I reel it in slow cause I like to let the current do the work.

Okay night time using live eels in the fall. Based on that I saw the shoreline closeby during the video when I arrive I start from the beach and cast along the left side of the jetty trying to land it about 10 feet or so off to the left side of the rocks and let the current take it back in towards the rocks. I'm trying to cast it out past the end of the rocks if possible and work it back in. If not then if I have no luck I'll go out a short distance on the jetty and try the same thing again.

On the left front corner of the video coming off the jetty there appears to be some submerged structure or it is just real murky. If it's structure I am casting out beyond it and working it in slowly towards it. I like to feel the eel making contact near the bottom and around structure and I want to be working the eel in with the current towards a hole or structure where the bass are waiting to ambush. It appears to me the current is going from left to right based on the way the waves are crashing the end of the jetty.

There also appears to be a rip off in the distance but it may not be reachable

By the way work your presentation all the way to the rocks. You will more than likely get some strikes in close to the rocks
    Enjoy the Journey

During the day I'd go with a bucktail w/a pork rind or a 6" or larger rubber shad and let it sweep across the current keeping it in the zone and down deep I usually wouldn't fish during daylight though.At night I would start w/ those also then maybe go w/ a darter or large wood swimmer and try to entice them out of the rocks, the point where the rock meets the cove maybe a worthy place to check out depending on the water depth.I would really like to throw a popper in that cove early am nothing like a big brute blue to wake ya up and that just looks like a bait holding haven where the bait can get out of the current and school up.The only real way to know it is to Put the time in.

Default Fun Discussion

I don’t plug the jetty’s anymore but give me some nice current/active water and I get excited.

I’m casting up current so as to allow my plug/shad/buck to flow with it, keeping contact, but letting the arty come into an arc. I’m varying casts far to in close and trying different sizes of arty to find what depth they might be in.

I can see what’s going on up top, but not sure of the lower areas. I’m not forcing the contact of the plug with my actions, just keeping a good contact with it.

I would definitely toss a popper beyond that rip, up current, keeping contact, but just plopping it along, casual, with the flow.

If the producers are not producing and I’m satisfied that it’s a bust, then I move on. But will give it another shot on the way back.

What once was not there, may be there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Simp View Post
    I like fishing the "seams" of a current. In this situation I like to start fishing from the middle of the jetty and casting toward the current that's coming around the jetty tip, letting my plug get swept along the current, away from me. As the line tightens the plug will start to swing toward the seam, toward the calmer water. It is here that you'll likely get a hit as the fish tend to hold outside of the currect, in the eddy that the jetty creates.

A slow-sinking plug such as a needle fish, eel or Slugo works exceptionally well in this situation. Let the plug get swept in the current and once it reaches the eddy it will slowly fall. Stay connected with your plug because this is the time it should get eaten.
    What he said. I would fish with the current, and either work a bucktail or some rubber, or a big swimmer or northbar bottle darter in the top area if it was nighttime.