Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: West Wind Wally thread... a SHOWDOWN! NE vs NW fishin....[PARENTAL ADVISORY]

Default West Wind Wally thread... a SHOWDOWN! NE vs NW fishin....[PARENTAL ADVISORY]

The Northeasters is what you wanna fish... Al McReynolds caught his trophy striped bass during a Noreaster!!!

"E or NE is what ya want!"

"Yes you do want a NE blow anytime"

"I have had my best days in the middle of raging noreasters, nothing else compares!!!"

"Storm coming in mid week. Get ready for more great fishing."

Are any of the above statements true for NJ?

OR... does a NW/W weather pattern produce a better bite?

I realize it's different for Montauk and other states, but the big arguments arose about NJ noreaster fishing, so that's what we'll address in this thread. Here's a reply I posted:

Even if people don't always report what they catch, the average catches during these NE weather patterns are nowhere near what we had with sustained NW winds. I have friends who caught 80 fish in the 24 hours of 11/6 to 11/7. Others caught over 200 in the week where NW patterns were most evident. Even if many people don't report their catches, as is the usually the case with guys who do really well, there have been no numbers of fish even approaching that taken this week. What does that tell you?

Again, I'm not trying to start or continue arguments here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My main point is that it's more productive to fish a hard NW weather pattern.

Here's some of the reasons why, and why it's different for places like Montauk. I posted this elswhere and thought some guys might like to read it here....

Hard NW is a day that you should be on the beach at all costs, whereas a NE pattern, which is forecast to hit us for a large amount of the remaining fall season, is less productive for NJ surf fishng. NW is the best!

Here's a post I put up giving an overview of NJ and NY, and what's left for our NJ surf season...
    NY
    There's a large body of fish off LI, but in deeper water for the most part, as well. There have also been some spectacular catches from certain LI beaches in the last week,

The Northeast patterns have not hurt them as much as NJ. Montauk is situated in a position where such a pattern is less damaging. IMO a big part of the bite at Montauk and the areas directly S of that is more dependent on current, tide, and bait migration, than it is on the weather. The bait migration tends to be closer to Montauk point and the beaches S of that because of those additional factors.

IMO, naturally.

NJ
    If you have a chance, try to get out on a boat for some of the offshore bass action. They're still moving through, but in deeper water. In RB they're still getting fish between the channels. Bigger bass are now being caught in the Del and Chesapeake bays, and at the CBBT.

For the most part in NJ, (as Finchaser, Sharkhart, and others have seemed like they were preaching to us, but were actually crystal clear in their predictions) this Northeast pattern causes bait to eventually move offshore. A sustained Northeast pattern, together with the double sandbars that exist in some areas, means that a lot of surf fishermen are shut out of the final push to the fall migration. Sustained N/NE patterns kill the bite for the NJ surf guys.

There are always exceptions in any case. I don't want people to think I'm speaking in absolutes here. I just want to try to paint a picture of what generally happens so people have a better idea of when to fish, and when they might be wasting their time.

Default West Wind Wally

Just so things can remain fair, I brought in West Wind Wally as a Stripers and Anglers advisor.

He's a little cantankerous, but I think he's a good dude, and deserves to be heard. So ya can expect to hear from him more and more on this issue. He'll weigh in with his .02 when it's needed.

I apologize ahead of time if his language is a little salty. I'm tryin to teach him some manners, but so far not much success.

WARNING: Parental Advisory:
    I would like all parents to please be advised that Wally is a somewhat controversial character. His speech is peppered with salty language and some profanities. Now that we are getting members in different age groups, I don't want to set a poor language example for the young folks out there.

Please be advised that I would prefer parents not let their children view any of these West Wind Wally videos unless they have reviewed them first and determined they are appropriate.

Default The results so far....

Thursday, Thanksgiving 11/26/09

OceanCounty - there were 3-5 beaches where the bass fishin was great, with catches up to 25/person, and several others where people at least caught a few fish.

MoCo- spectacular action at a few moco beaches, with some friends catching up to 15 bass.

What was the wind for this day?
    Slight, E (minimizing from the NE pattern we had just had), and trending toward a W/NW

Friday, Nov 27, 2009
    Ocean County - less big fish than Thur, but a good number of smaller fish into the teens. One fish 25# that I know of was caught in the ocean county area.

Monmouth county - several fish to the teens, confirmed by B&T weigh ins. The biggest bass caught today I know of was 18#

What was the wind for this day?
    NW/W with gusts up to 30mph.

How many bass 18 and 25# were caught during the noreasters in the last 3 weeks? At least 2, you say?

Gotta WWW oh by the way a 26.9 was caught today a hair south of you

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

These "hollywood effects" are somthing, is wally CGI

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    These "hollywood effects" are somthing, is wally CGI
    If you mean Certifiably Googtastic Insane, yes, it's possible.

G saw the latest (3rd) installment and told me I got issues.

I'll post the 2nd installment tonight, the latest installment tomorrow, which might offend one or 2 people. But hey, Effumall!

I think West Wind Wally might become the S&A mascot. Only time will tell.

Default West wind wally report Fri 11-27-09

Here ya go:

Default Gambler 11/26 report

This is Capn Bob Bogan's Gambler report from 11/26. Of course, the theme of this thread is the effects of a NW pattern VS a NE pattern for SURF fishin. The reason I'm posting it is even a seasoned party boat captain knows when he catches the most fish.

[NW wind and Gambler report
    Don't let the NW winds keep you home tomorrow or Saturday. It won't be rough inside the 3 mile line and the bass bite good during a strong NWester.

Fishing was non-stop today. Bass and blues were taking AVAs and anything that looked like a sandeel. It seemed like the rental rods outfished the hard-core fishermen, which would indicate a slower retreive is the ticket.

We had a couple bass close to 20lbs today.

Have a great and safe Thanksgiving, see you over the weekend.]

Capt Bob

Default West Wind Wally Screen saver pics!

I know y'all will be lining up to meet Wally.

I'm in charge of the promo and world tour, sort of like his agent. However, I take no responsibility for any inflammatory or disrespectful statements he makes. For those who can't get enough, stay tuned. He tells me he'll be posting reports until the end of the season, whenever there's west wind fishin.

Here's some late season publicity pics I took the other day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5189.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	8429

Name:	IMGP5188.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	8430

Default West wind fishin 11-28-09

Some of the bigger bass I witnessed today:

38", about 18, caught 9am.

32", caught around 8:30am

33" fat belly, about 15, caught 3pm.

What was the wind?
    West!

Welcome to the site WWWalley! Glad to have you on board.
    Your reports are awsome and very entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I know y'all will be lining up to meet Wally.

I'm in charge of the promo and world tour, sort of like his agent. However, I take no responsibility for any inflammatory or disrespectful statements he makes. For those who can't get enough, stay tuned. He tells me he'll be posting reports until the end of the season, whenever there's west wind fishin.

Here's some late season publicity pics I took the other day.

Name:	IMGP5189.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	8429

Name:	IMGP5188.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	8430

Darkskies = KrazyKamper!
    That was a barrel of laughs Dark, please keep this up!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Here ya go:

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Darkskies = KrazyKamper!
    That was a barrel of laughs Dark, please keep this up!

X2! I love where he says "I'm hungry" Dark your creative genius is one of the things I love about this site.
    One question, do the voices in your head ever answer you back?

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    X2! I love where he says "I'm hungry" Dark your creative genius is one of the things I love about this site.
    One question, do the voices in your head ever answer you back?
    Hey, my life is no picnic, sometimes they answer in color!

Some of the bigger bass caught today:

Killie's bass, somewhere around 20, caught and released.

A mid teens bass we saw caught in OC.

Some later on where the adult bunker were, along with some fat bluefish to 15.

What was the wind? W, trending toward SW.
    Not an Easterly breeze to be found.

Default West Wind Wally report Saturday 11-29-09

I have a late report from West Wind Wally, enjoy.

I think you've been nipping at the bunker oil again DS

west wind wally lol

WWW: A Star is Born!

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    I think you've been nipping at the bunker oil again DS

west wind wally lol
    I wonder if I take the bunker oil, put it in a pipe and smoke it, if that will be violating my sobriety? I heard doing that gives you magical fishing powers and psychedelic dreams.

Catches for Monday:
    Mostly smaller bass with a few larger ones up to 34".

One 29" bass caught just as it turned dark.

Where was the wind from?
    W/NW !

To be honest, there are a lot of factors that affect fishing. It's not always about the wind. Today the biggest factor IMO was the appearance of small bait. You can have a driving NW without bait where guys catch nothing.

However, the W/NW pattern is more consistent for catching fish in the SURF in NJ. This has been shown to be true time and time again by people who fish frequently and keep comprehensive log books.

It's also the case that you can get into a good bite at the beginning of a NE weather pattern. IMO this is because even though strong NE winds will cause most bait to re-locate offshore, at the beginning this will not have happened yet.

Additionally, the drastic barometric pressure drop frequently found at the FRONT SIDE of a NE weather pattern often stimulates fish to put on the feed bag. You can have a great bite during that window, but sustained NE weather shuts the bite down, at least in NJ.

I got a very well-worded e-mail from a guy today detailing his views on this. I thought it covered both sides of this fairly. I'm hoping he'll join here and will post it. If he doesn't get around to joining, in a week I may post his thoughts. They were diplomatic yet backed up by fishing experience during both weather patterns.

In the meantime, you people will have to suffer through my reports and those from West Wind Wally as I try to bring some humor to those cold winter days when the striped bass are officially gone from this area.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast