Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY fishing reports for December 2009

Default NY fishing reports for December 2009

Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!

Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
    Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
    CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
    FI -- Fire Island
    FT -- Fort Tilden Park
    FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
    WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
    LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
    MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
    MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
    OB -- Oyster Bay
    PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
    ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
    SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya

** It seems I neglected the plug giveaway for Oct. Sorry 'bout that! Later today I'll announce a winner for Oct and Nov.

* you won the plug in the October random drawing!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

October 2009 - winner is *

November 2009 - winner is *

Fished a ss beach yesterday 1-4, one rat on a small tin. Is the fat lady here yet?

Late report - fished the s shore Thanksgiving, got 5 bass to 32" with a diamond jig and black teaser.
    Today, same place, nada.

Fished a ss beach 6-9am today, outgoing. Slow pick, 2 bass and 3 medium blues on a very small tin 1 oz. There was a huge cloud of birds right out of reach, they were on rainbait. There was also a rotten egg stench that was unreal as I was driving home.

What kind of birds were they? If they were gannets then they were on herring. Those big birds don't usually bother with little fish.

Terns and gulls. There was a small amount or rainbait in the surf line. I'm still waiting for the herring, heard some is in some of the marinas in the sound already. I can't wait till it shows on the beach.

I have been seeing Gannets for about two weeks on the SS. Between Montauk and Gilgo. Mostly too far offshore to cast to but they were there. One day was crazy. HUGE flocks of them smashing the water for hours. They were close once or twice but just out of reach and no stray bass around.

They closed my beach today. I went down after work, they said it was closed because it might get windy or something. Conditions looked real good. I decided to go to a bay area nearer to the inlet, I fished for 2 hours and did not get a hit. I should have just walked out on the beach.

Late report. Fished a couple of hours at FI. I got

we fish the east river this morning at 7 to 9, the water is going out. we got 3 short stripers on the stormshad and threw them back. maybe tomorrow we have some bigger ones.

Jones area 5-9 am, threw a 2z tin with a red tail. One tiny rat 18". The birds were working just one cast past my furthest.

I fished a south shore beach this morning from 6 am to 2 pm, I caught 2 Striped Bass 29" and 20" both tagged and released. I caught the fish on a 5" needle fish. I also had hits on a diamond jig and a mambo minnow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC050003.jpg   PC050004.jpg  

PC050005.jpg   PC050006.jpg  

JB this morning from 5 to 8am. It was cold as ice. I got two shorts on a black needle. Wish I could have stayed longer but the Mrs. made plans with the folks. Fantastic pics jimbob.

I fished a south shore beach again this afternoon from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm I caught one 30" bass on a black Bomber and I had one other hit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC060004.jpg  

Congrats on the fish Jimbob. Thanks for putting up the awesome pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    Congrats on the fish Jimbob. Thanks for putting up the awesome pics.
    Thank you, I do like to post pictures they make the reports more interesting.
    I went to a south shore beach this afternoon for 2 1/2 hours no hits, only a week left.

JimBob, do you have a job or is it just fishing?

Nice job. You culled one of the bigger fish from the school. There should be some bigger fish coming by in a week or so if they don't move offshore.

Nice catch Jim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast