Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY fishing reports for December 2009

Default nice fish

Nice fish for the fall, jimbob, love those pics too.
    I fished a s shore beach from 4 to 7AM. Started with a darter for a nicer fish, nothing. One bump in the dark on a redfin. I think we will have to deal with light hitting fish now as the water gets colder. That's all she wrote. Still hoping for another fish or 2 before the season closes.

I went to a south shore beach after work this afternoon I caught 3 bass 24", 21" and 35" 17 lbs. The 24" fish hit a Zara Spook the other 2 fish were caught on a 5" Bomber. I also had 7 or 8 other hits and I had a nice fish hooked but I lost it. After the fish stopped hitting I spent 2 hours casting without any more hits. The ocean and wind were calm. All fish tagged and released. Thank you for the feedback everybody.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC080002.jpg   PC080006.jpg  

PC080007a.jpg  
    Last edited by jimbob; 12-09-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add on

Nice Work Jim. I went out last night as well to the SS caught 2 microshorts both on black bomber.

I went out at dawn today to a south shore location. I fished for an hour around sunrise without a hit. The water was dirty, and it was cold. There was ice in the bay.

I went out again this afternoon for two hours 3:45 to 5:45 no hits and the ocean was still dirty so I went to the bay side and sloshed through the ice and fished some cleaner water. I saw a seal back there and I also saw a heron, so there must be fish around somewhere.

I went out this afternoon to a south shore beach. the water is still dirty and the wind really picked up to about 40 mph. it's probably going to be messed up for a while now. I did not see any bait or fish. I got no hits. I did see a heron in the marsh.

I got out this afternoon after work. The ocean was pretty rough and still off color, but cleaner than yesterday. The bay was dirty though. I used swimmers and a Zara in the bay and pencil poppers and bucktails in the ocean. Tomorrow is the last day I am pretty sure that the fish have been gone since the storm last Wednesday.
    I will try one more time, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I got out this afternoon after work. The ocean was pretty rough and still off color, but cleaner than yesterday. The bay was dirty though. I used swimmers and a Zara in the bay and pencil poppers and bucktails in the ocean. Tomorrow is the last day I am pretty sure that the fish have been gone since the storm last Wednesday.
    I will try one more time, you never know.
    90% of all fishermen have given up, maybe more than that on the LI side. I went out today too because it was too nice not to. It's better to be out there when ya can. There will be too many days in the winter when we can't.

No one could ever accuse you of being a quitter, Jimbob.

Jimbob, you inspired me to give it one more try on the south shore. Fished 7-8:30 am throwing 2 oz tin with green tail. The water wasn't that bad but there was a bit of a swell. Not even a tap. Great pics and reports. I wanted to wish all you guys out there early Christmas wishes. I hope we have some fish left to fish for next season.

JimBob gets the Ironman award this year for fishing when the rest of us can't bear to freeze our as ses off. I have given up on the dinks for now, too much crap going on. Maybe in a week or two.

I am going to try for some herring in the next few days. Anyone out there give them a shot yet? I don't want your spot as I have a few planned out, since this will be my first year fishing for them, I am just curious as to whether North or South shore would be best to try?

Well, that's it for me. I fished the south shore this afternoon for three hours. The water was a little cleaner and it was a bit easier to fish, but I never had a tap. I heard that there were fish east of me and west of me, that's the story of my season. I enjoyed sharing my reports and look forward to next year, meanwhile I will be on the main forum and at the fishing shows, see everyone there. Happy Holidays!

I enjoyed reading your reports and the pics JB, hope you and you family have a great holiday!

Great reports all year and pics of the fish, jimbob, thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays to your family, and all the guys here. Let's hope we have some decent fishing for next year.

Always enjoyed your reports and stories jb. Wishing all of the guys here a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Thanks guys for the reports and great pictures. I hope to be fishing more in 2010 and posting more. Merry Christmas!

Christmas eve sunset and christmas day sunrise on the North Shore. Hit up a few spots for herring. Came away with one last night and two this morning. Hardly a jars worth but it's a start.

These were the first herring I have ever caught since I never tried for them before and holy crap do they stink!

Herring are to the s and west, look for the ferris wheel.

It would be cheaper for me to buy them then to drive to brooklyn to get them.

There are some in good numbers where I am going, I just gotta track them down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12