Thread: Strange but true thread: outrageous behaviors/ statements made by surf fishermen

Hybrid View

Default Mugging for beginners, 101

Monty, you're a great (and diplomatic) observer of people at their worst rudeness and inconsideration. You are so much more diplomatic than I am. I try, but when that doesn't work, I go back to my old ways...

The latest mugging story:

I was fishin a beach a few days ago. There was a slow pick of fish until the tide rose. It was crazy fishin for awhile. Then it slowed to a pick again, and gradually petered out.

Somewhere around 10:30am (I think that internet report naming a specific location was posted around 10am that day ) another 200 guys showed up. They showed up so quickly it was like they all came in on the same bus.

-One of them starts setting up behind me and the area I was fishin in.
    -He hurriedly puts his 14', 3-piece rod together. He clips on a storm shad.
    Everyone else on the beach was using metal.
    -(here's where it's important to observe what other anglers are doing, folks. Storm shads are a great peanut bunker profile, when they're around. The dominant bait that morning was sandeels, and you could see some washed up on the beach)

-There was 15 feet between me and the guy to my left. The guy on the left was fishin with his buddies, kind of together. They were close friends to a well-known NJ fly tyer.

- There was a strong sweep in the ocean that day, meaning we all had to cast mindful of not getting snagged with the guy next to you. The mugger unceremoniously gets to the beach, squeezes in between us without so much as a nod of "what's up", glance, or any recognition. Bear in mind that the whole 2 mile stretch of beach was productive.

- After a few casts, I turn to him and say, "Hey pal, don't you think you're a little close, there's a big sweep out there, and hard to keep the casts straight."

- His answer: "Well you don't own the ocean, do you?!!"

- I tried to diplomatically explain the sweep again, and that we would get our lines crossed.

- His response: "I didn't see your name on this spot of sand."

- At that point I lost my diplomacy...
    The guy next to us and his buddies had been having a few side conversations about our new mugger friend. He chimes in and says: " It's called courtesy and manners, guy"

Still, our mugger has no clue.

So, the diplomat that I am, said:
    "I just want you to know, that when we get our lines tangled, and we will with us being so close together, that at that exact moment, I'll be cutting your line, and tossing your rig into the Atlantic. Just wanted to be clear about this, and you understand exactly how this will go down. Any problems with that?"

He looked at me like I was Charlie Manson's brother, got quiet, and moved over a bit....

He had the space to his left because the fly tyer's friends at that point had had enough and got ready to leave.

Later on at for the afternoon bite, I ran into the fly tyer's friends coming to the beach again. I apologized for my harsh words. Maybe I was a little too loud?

Nope, my new friend tells me.
    He says:
    "No way! Someone had to say something, we were just figuring out who was going to be the one to speak to that idiot! I'm glad you spoke up, it was funny as hell, needed to be done. I went and told BP about it, and we laughed for 5 minutes. Thanks!"

So I guess I brightened BP's day. Maybe one day I'll meet him in person, I heard he ties great flies.

Moral of the story:
    Don't be this guy....
    (I'm posting a pic of him as he runs back to the sand to unhook a short fluke he caught on the shad.) The beach is a public area. We all need to share the space. If I run into this guy again, doing the same thing, I'll be glad to share the face pic under my First Amendment rights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0740.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	12447

I don't think it's important who he is. I think the important thing is when you get to the beach, look at what others are doing, be respectful, and try not to crowd people. There's plenty of beach to fish from, and even blitzing fish will eventually move down your way.

And I can't stress how important being courteous is. A "Hello" or nod of the head goes a long way.

I'm not apt to get into conversations with strangers when I'm fishin. Even my close friends, when the bite is on, we don't talk much, it's all about the fishin. But for Pete's sake, remember that a little courtesy goes a long way.

I try to help people whenever I can, especially the newbies to surf fishing. I've helped hundreds over the years, and would give someone the shirt off my back if they needed it more than I.

But rudeness shouldn't be tolerated. The place to deal with it is then and there. If more people spoke up at the time things were happening instead of only ranting on the internet, maybe some people would get the education they need.

And then again, maybe not.

Default The right thing.

Dark, you can only take so much and then you speak or move on. This year has been a difficult one for me as far as doing what I love best, surfcasting, just no time.

In the past I have run into many of these characters and my frustrations have reached the boiling point. At my expense of not catching, I avoid these spots that have been burned to the max. I can't tolerate the inconsideration of some and the loss of enjoyment by the dedicated. Most of the time the inconsiderates are just blitz or spring/fall run types. No idea of the true meaning of surfcasting, just catch at any cost.

I'm afraid it will grow in the future, as the gimme/get me/ I want people grow in numbers. People like the one you met will never understand the meaning of courtesy at the line, they are just out for themselves, shame.

No, I don't own the ocean, but give some distance/consideration and it can be enjoyed by everyone.

I would have been cool to him and given him a chance. If he gave me the crap he gave you I would have punched him in the side of the head and asked him if he could see the sweep then. Dark you have more tolerance then me. I have no patience for a-holes like that ****.

Right on. I would have done what fnm did, then beat him with his rod until he ran away. My fishing time is valuable. I won't let a mugger get in my way without confrontation.

ah dark yur too mellow what happened to the old dark, the dark i used to know would have throw that guy in the water yur gettin soft dude, lol

Darkskies comments in another thread reminded me of this. Today at Island Beach, there were these 2 young guys fishing for bass. They each had surf stix, about 10', fishing clams with fishfinder rigs and sinkers. Each of their rods had a VS250 on it. Why the frick do you need a VS when you are fishing for bass with clams? What's worse is that earlier in the season, out in the back bay I saw a few dudes with 8' sticks, fishing for the 24" bass that were back there, with VS reels. Clam fishing from shore for bass with VS reels, what has this world come to? Will you be swimming in the wash as you bring in and release these massive 24" schoolies?

The rod (or reel) does not make the fisherman. Too many new guys in the sport seem to think that. Hang around the old salts for a tide or two and you will see different.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0740.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	12447

I feel bad for his reel

A lot of 'muggings' are the product of ignorance. DS is an educator first and a belligerent SOB only after diplomacy has failed. I've found that a simple explanation (The fish are right at the shoreline; your headlamp will put them down) will usually do it. Someone who answers "I don't see your name on this piece of beach" is looking for trouble.

I thank the old timers who took the time to explain the basics to me years ago at Robert Moses when I showed up with a 7 ft rod and a Mitchell 303.

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    A lot of 'muggings' are the product of ignorance. DS is an educator first and a belligerent SOB only after diplomacy has failed.
    Personally I think the guy has gotten too mellow. I liked him better when he was a troublemaker both IRL and on the internet. Those stories were gold, funny, dark was always willing to stick his nose into it, even if "it" turned out to be a big pile of crap! I do agree though, there is no such reasoning with some people. Thats whay I carry a crossbow. When I meet an arrogant person like described, I just take it out and shoot them through the head. End of problem.

^ A quick kick to their balls or push off the jetty also helps to get the message across too. Only kidding, but you folks are right. After giving some people an explanation, you realize they don't care, and you would have been better smacking them.

Default Buying bunker chum logs to catch big bass in the surf?

(Overheard in a tackle shop)

Hell no, people don't think this way, do they, you ask?
    Yep they do......

Some guys came into the shop, asked the owner:
    "We want to get into some of the striper blitz action in the surf! We know they are on bunker from the internet reports. Can you sell us a chum log or 2 that we can put out to draw the big stripers in to our fishing poles?"

The shop owner, thankfully, was an honest guy with integrity. He told them he wouldn't sell it to them as it wouldn't work.

Thanks for those around who put honesty before sales.

He shudda sold them the logs, theres a sucker born every minute ya know!