Someone sent me this comment made by a guy who says he is half-Indian. I've been sent several racist comments, I thought this one was worth mentioning:

["These guys weren't Spanish either. They were either Egyptian or Pakistani. I know this because I am half Indian. Us browns have the ability to distinguish between different browns."]

Really? A little advice here...go back and ask the person you were referring to where he's from. I bet 2 custom plugs that you're entirely off by a continent.

Mad detective skills you got, bro.

The reason for mentioning this is people are very quick to characterize different ethnic groups as being prone to littering or poaching. I've seen both activities committed by all ethnic groups. The one problem I have with the characterization is that there are plenty of white guys who should know better, do know better, and either litter or poach. I've run across poachers in all shapes and sizes.

You might tend to see more poaching from various kinds of people or ethnic groups, I might agree with that if you were keeping a comprehensive log of observations and times, dates, places, etc, and were out there every day making observations.

But there is a danger in characterizing peoples' behavior according to their race.

Ex: I have a good friend who's Asian, fishes almost every day. A white guy reported him to F&G for fishing 3 rods, and harassed him on a jetty, while the white guy had 4 rods he was actively fishing. My friend had done nothing wrong other than fish 3 rods during the middle of the week on an uncrowded jetty. Where's the fairness in that?

And as for the stereotypical issue of Asians poaching blackfish, sure I've heard and seen it. I've been to Chinatown where every conceivable form of fish is for sale, including surf-caught striped bass, and live blackfish.

And I know that some of the guys making weekly trips to sell those live blackfish in the Asian markets are white guys, contractors with slow seasons, guys on Unemployment.

Some of the most arrogant poachers I have come across have had white skin. The sad thing is that they feel their skin color lets them get away with it.

It's a good thing to slam poachers.

I speak up every chance I get, and dump poachers' short fish if they're still alive. How many of the internet complainers can say that? But if you wanna slam groups of people, make sure you're looking at them all equally.