Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange but true thread: outrageous behaviors/ statements made by surf fishermen

The rod (or reel) does not make the fisherman. Too many new guys in the sport seem to think that. Hang around the old salts for a tide or two and you will see different.

yeah dude!! i cant stand the pretty boy fish dudes they look like they should be movie stars and have a makeup artist come with them when they fish in case there hair gets messed up lol. u can catch fish with a ugly stik or a stiff bridge rod u dont need 1000s dollar setups to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    yeah dude!! i cant stand the pretty boy fish dudes they look like they should be movie stars and have a makeup artist come with them when they fish
    I read something here once in a thread, they called them Orvis Catalog fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I feel bad for his reel

A lot of 'muggings' are the product of ignorance. DS is an educator first and a belligerent SOB only after diplomacy has failed. I've found that a simple explanation (The fish are right at the shoreline; your headlamp will put them down) will usually do it. Someone who answers "I don't see your name on this piece of beach" is looking for trouble.

I thank the old timers who took the time to explain the basics to me years ago at Robert Moses when I showed up with a 7 ft rod and a Mitchell 303.

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    A lot of 'muggings' are the product of ignorance. DS is an educator first and a belligerent SOB only after diplomacy has failed.
    Personally I think the guy has gotten too mellow. I liked him better when he was a troublemaker both IRL and on the internet. Those stories were gold, funny, dark was always willing to stick his nose into it, even if "it" turned out to be a big pile of crap! I do agree though, there is no such reasoning with some people. Thats whay I carry a crossbow. When I meet an arrogant person like described, I just take it out and shoot them through the head. End of problem.

^ A quick kick to their balls or push off the jetty also helps to get the message across too. Only kidding, but you folks are right. After giving some people an explanation, you realize they don't care, and you would have been better smacking them.

Default Buying bunker chum logs to catch big bass in the surf?

(Overheard in a tackle shop)

Hell no, people don't think this way, do they, you ask?
    Yep they do......

Some guys came into the shop, asked the owner:
    "We want to get into some of the striper blitz action in the surf! We know they are on bunker from the internet reports. Can you sell us a chum log or 2 that we can put out to draw the big stripers in to our fishing poles?"

The shop owner, thankfully, was an honest guy with integrity. He told them he wouldn't sell it to them as it wouldn't work.

Thanks for those around who put honesty before sales.

He shudda sold them the logs, theres a sucker born every minute ya know!

I've neglected this thread for awhile. Some true gems have come up in the meantime....

Someone called this story in to me-
    A few weeks ago, at a popular inlet...

There were a few guys fishing for fluke with bucktails.
    Many times it's recommended that you use a teaser to increase your odds.
    These guys listened to that advice well, because 18" in front of the bucktail jig, they had a bomber for a "teaser"....

Default taking advice literally....

^ (More of the above) Some tackle shop somewhere must have mentioned that bombers and metal were working recently, because on one of my trips in the daytime, that's exactly what I saw, a guy using a diamond jig, with a bomber ahead of it.

Default The skishing clam fisherman....

Another interesting thing I saw in the last 2 weeks....

A guy fishes the beach with 2 rods, clamming.
    He wears a wetsuit....
    Each time he re-baits, he swims out to where he wants to put the clam with the rod and reel, and then casts just a bit further, in chest deep water....
    Then, he skishes back to the sand, sits on a bucket,,,,and fishes that clam hard!

did you question him on why the wet suit and then tell him you don't use one

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    did you question him on why the wet suit and then tell him you don't use one
    Googan that I am, I've been fishin in shorts, white socks, and shoes or korkers all summer.
    Look up dorks r us on the internet and you'll find my picture there....
    Haven't had the waders on since the spring.
    Those nights are coming to an end as the water temps will be dropping soon.
    I might be looking for a wetsuit this winter......it ain't too cool with the damp and wetness all the time, ya gotta take care of it before fungus starts growing...

I took a nap in the car last night before I drove home.
    Woke up to find myself in wet shorts and underwear....For a moment I had a flashback to the drinking days and thought I had p***ed myself. What a relief to realize the wetness was only from my walks in the surf....

What do you think, does this qualify? The hype is so bogus here he must have 5 tons of cow crap on the floors of his shop. I fished the area he's talking about, 5 in the morning till 3 in the afternoon. Got 6 fish to 15lbs. Fish on every cast? He's ******* delusional. No one in that area had a fish on every cast, we had to work for each fish, except for a one hour period around sunrise.

11/25/11 UPDATED 2:36 PM Another EPIC, LEGENDARY day. This run is now starting to rival the November 1985 blitz. All we need now is big bluefish. We had well over 100 bass weighed in today and they were all 11 pounds to 25 pounds.

UPDATED 8:25 AM The parade of fish are starting to come through the door and the bite is on. Nailing them every cast south of the bathing beaches and I'm sure there are plenty of other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    What do you think, does this qualify? The hype is so bogus here he must have 5 tons of cow crap on the floors of his shop.

"he says he lost count of how many bass he landed before that. He was nailing them solid"

The cow crap turned to elephant crap. There has been a good bite in the morning and some afternoon, but you lost count of how many bass you caught? *TF? Then you are not a true surf fisherman. Every guy I know keeps record of his numbers for the year. You know exactly how many fish you caught every day. Even if you had a great day and got 50, you know if you got 45, 47, 49, 50 or 51. Unless you are a total bullshitter and just make up numbers as you go along, I know a few guys like that. Always add a few extra to their numbers for the day. They think we aren't aware of it. You know who tells the truth and who doesn't out there.

I have had 75 bass days/ nights, or a combined total for both day and night at Montauk. Of course that was back when fishing was a lot better, we are talking quite a few years back. Every one of those great ventures is etched in my mind. When I was in a blitz, ech time I caught 10, I would keep that as a block in my mind and start with the numbers 1-10 all over again. That's what worked for me. I agree that most guys are serious know exactly how many they catch every time out. If a person said they lost count I wouldn't take that fellow seriously. There is a friendly competition among the guys I usually fish with or who fish M during the season. Anyone who is known not to be accurate, we really try to ignore them.

We have no shame in our numbers. If we got 1 that day, or even a skunk, we share the intel. No big deal. The statement above soundslike made by someone with a lot of ego and a only a little bit of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    What do you think, does this qualify? The hype is so bogus here he must have 5 tons of cow crap on the floors of his shop.

UPDATED 8:25 AM The parade of fish are starting to come through the door and the bite is on. Nailing them every cast south of the bathing beaches and I'm sure there are plenty of other spots.
    Jigfreak, I'm always skeptical of the "nailing them on every cast" hype...I think a statement like that is has so many built-in exaggerations it makes it hard for us to believe the person relating it, even if we want to....

I'm going to come back and reference this post at some time in the near future....and despite how much I wanted to use those words, I realized it would be much more effective to document the type of fishing I had....stay tuned....

Huey, Dewey, and Stewie....
    (not your average Disney Story)

Have been running into some fishermen lately.....the things coming out of their mouths is just incredible.....normally I try to give the new guy a break, but these guys are all sharpies...they all have the VS (almost exact same model), same rod, similar gear.....

So naturally, I have to assume they are sharpies.....until you hear them talk....and then the amusement begins.....
    These particular 3 are so entertaining that I had to dedicate a separate thread to convey some of the precious gems of thought they have while they're out there, "waiting" for the fish to turn on........

Here you have it....the Hewey, Dewey, and Stewie thread...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-Surf-Sharpies
    All names have been changed to protect the innocent.....
    I hope you folks get as much enjoyment out of these as we have...We get to see them in real time.....

Default Why you can only catch big cows by snag and drop! - Tweedledum and Tweedlledee

This is a true story, happened 3 days ago. It shows a little of the Mis-guided information and ego out there.......a few specific details have been changed to make it more about the attitude out there, and less about singling out any specific fishermen......Hope you find it as interesting as I did....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweedle dum and tweedle dee.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	15172

These 2 guys above Tweedle Dum, and Tweedle Dee, somehow happened to get into a conversation with 2 old timers. For ease of typing, these 2 will be referred to as TD...
    The old timers will be referred to as SALTS....

SALTS:
    "Yep the bunker are along the beaches now, the snag and drop reported some fish to 30# this morning."
    TD:
    "Wow that's great news! We can get some snag hooks and get some COWS!
    You know that's the only way to get the big girls."

SALTS:
    "Well, there are other ways to get big fish, plugging, jigging, finding good structure at night...snag and drop is only part of it. "

TD:
    "Don't tell me how to catch big fish. I have been snagging and dropping for 5 YEARS! I def know what I'm talking about. I have caught some big COWS that way! You old guys, what do you know?"

With that, TD and TD walked away in an arrogant huff, not realizing they had walked away from 2 guys who had over 110 years of fishing the surf, with hundreds of fish over 30#, between them..a few respectful words could have possibly opened the Vault of information these 2 old guys had, decades of catching big fish.....all it would have taken was a few kind, respectful, words.....instead they moved on, with arrogance....

And Boasting that they had been doing it for 5 WHOLE YEARS....

Default Re: Strange but true thread: outrageous behaviors/ statements made by surf fishermen

"Catch of the Day"

I was coming off the beach after an all night marathon session....

Full of sweat...
    Stinking of many foul odors... (no bathroom for night use where I fish)

The smells and stench emanating from me, after a night of fishing, are something that you don't want to be downwind of...ask Finchaser when he had to have his van professionally cleaned after I sat in it for an hour on the way to a fishing spot....

There were some college kids sitting on the beach...
    One of them says:
    "Hey dude did you have any bites?"

Me:
    "Nope"...that has become my standard answer,,,learned over the years, no matter whether I catch or not....

Him:
    "Well, you're MY catch of the day! "

Me:
    Unsure of how to actually respond to something like that.....
    "Yeah, whatever, dude..." and kept on walking.......

Different generation I guess, when I grew up I would never say that to another guy....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast