Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Strange but true thread: outrageous behaviors/ statements made by surf fishermen

Default Re: Strange but true thread: outrageous behaviors/ statements made by surf fishermen

Haha dark tell me that was probably at 8th Ave!

Default Re: Strange but true thread: outrageous behaviors/ statements made by surf fishermen

^ No Steve, it wasn't 8th Ave.
    I only hope that college kid was drunk when he said that, I felt a little creeped out after he gave me that compliment......

The latest.gospel truth..a guy coming into a tackle shop., saying he was catching "at least one large bass a night, every night" on plugs.

When asked how large he meant by "large"....

"Oh, about 45 to 50 inches"

That kid wanted to put his pencil popper in ur poop shoot. No men make comments like that to complete strangers. That dude wanted ur *** bro. Hahahahahahha. Drunk or high, it doesn't matter, he wanted the Darkone. Ggggggrrooooossssssss.............

We have a place near Canarsie like that. Gays and hookers at 3am. You do not want to venture into the parking lot without carrying a sharp knife.

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    That kid wanted to put his pencil popper in ur poop shoot. No men make comments like that to complete strangers. That dude wanted ur *** bro. Hahahahahahha. Drunk or high, it doesn't matter, he wanted the Darkone. Ggggggrrooooossssssss.............

omg this is so damn funny, dark watch out for renegade pencil poppers in the pooper! Pencil popper in the pooper, I dare anyone to say that 10 times fast! That was hilarious rip.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but 8th ave used to have more fishermen there at night. Now if you go there the gays are like **** a roaches. They come scurrying out looking for meat. Even when the lot looked like the back dirt roads in the pine barrens they would be in there. something should really be done. They are disgusting.

I lose count of bass in Montauk all the time!
    sometimes after 30 fish other times it's been fuzzy at 40 fish.
    on Monday zeno said we had 50.
    It doesn't really matter what the count is.
    what matters is the fishing, the surf, the fortitude to climb back on the rock as you get smacked by whitewater.
    i have a general idea of how many bass caught but not an exact number. I do remember exactly how many i keep every year for the table.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtk snow storm.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	15577

I would love to lose count of my fish. Urbanfishingman it sounds like you are having a great year. Do you live near Montauk?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I would love to lose count of my fish. Urbanfishingman it sounds like you are having a great year. Do you live near Montauk?
    I would love to loose count too, lately I have been One Bass Monty.....I don't even have to count...Its like one......
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I'm in Orient NY
    it's a short ride when you take the Shelter Island ferries about 37 miles
    driving around through Riverhead sucks! That makes it 65 miles.
    Thanks this has been a great year so far!

Orient is that what they call the north fork?

Great reports urban, you sure are lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    I do have to say the one night we went fishing and you asked if i had rubbers had me hoping you meant rain gear. Thank god it rained.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Rip that was funny as hell. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that... Thanks for the laughs...

Thought Rip316 could use some cheer......
    I poke fun at a lot of folks out there...might as well poke fun at myself too....

Yep, I was glad I meant rubbers on your feet, too......

ha ha i love this!

"when the water temps are 55-60 and the bluefish are here, that gets the bass riled up and aggressive"

Goog statement of the year. The bluefish don't get the bass riled up and aggressive.

It's the water temperature, stupid. Its either that or the fact that when the bluefish are around they chase and chop the bait in pieces causing the bass to move around. This free food laying all over the bottom acts like chum which stimulates the bass to feed. Similar to why we eat more at a buffet table in a restaurant. This blooming genius also doesn't account for the fact that when the water temps are 55-60 that is great for bass. At 40-45 degrees both bass and bluefish are more slow because the colder water slows down there metabolism.

Read that too hookset. You have to consider the source when you read a statement like that. I take what these internet professors say with a grain of salt. Half of them don't fish often enough to know what they're talking about. The water temperatures are key. If fish are around and it's too cold you won't know it unless you are dragging the bottom with a net. They sit. Thats one reason why fishing the shallow bays are so great after a few sunny days. The fish get a little more stimulated by the rise in temperature and toward the end of the day on a sunny day start moving and circling. Looking for worms, small crabs, grass shrimp, spearing, whatever they can find that's easy to eat.

Bluefish coming in when the bay is cold have less of an effect on the bass feeding as do the temps. Once that temp line starts to trend above 45 degrees, in a steady trend of increases, all the fish in the area will become more active. I have years of logs. Nowhere in them does it show that bluefish get the bass riled up just by showing up. It has everything to do with the right water temperature and the presence or absence of different baits, as you said.

This story takes place more than a few dozen miles from the surf but I feel its relevant to the thread.

On opening day trout here in NJ my brother and I were told that we were fishing our spinners wrong and that jerkshads were the way to go because the water temps were still cold. I also saw this "expert" critique other guys and was giving out so much advice that was not asked for. My brother saw him in the parking lot later on and asked him what he caught. His answer was that he only got one follow and that the the trout weren't biting yet because the water was cold and that we should come back and fish later on in the day as the water warms up.

This guy also had more expensive gear on than he knew what to do with.

Here's my catch from that morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I also saw this "expert" critique other guys and was giving out so much advice that was not asked for. My brother saw him in the parking lot later on and asked him what he caught. His answer was that he only got one follow and that the the trout weren't biting yet because the water was cold and that we should come back and fish later on in the day as the water warms up.

This guy also had more expensive gear on than he knew what to do with.
    I see that a lot the guys with the highest priced gear think they are the surf gurus. Or they are so cool they won't even talk to you and look down on you because you don't have the right gear.

I was up at sandy hook one night last year. There was a new guy who came out and was casting. You could tell he was new. His casts were a little shaky so what. There was this tall thin guy and his friends with all the latest gear. They were pointing to the new guy and making a few jokes about him and cackling like a bunch of hens. They also made fun that he didn't have the right surf gear on. I thought it strange that this tall guy and his friends made fun of the newby because someone told me the tall guy is deaf? If he is handicapped why wouldn't he at least have a little understanding what its like to be picked on?

Where does it say that just because you have all the right gear you have the right to bash on someone who doesn't? I hate that attidude. Elitist a-holes!

btw jbarbosa those are some nice trout there! Did you end up catching them with spinners?

a few years ago I went to one of my spots were blues were hanging out. I pull up and there 3 guys putting on waders ....they have there fancy rods and reels and brand name surf bags. I get out and say hello ....only one guys says hello. mean while I have shorts on ,water shoes and a t-shirt. the weather was in the Hight 70. I have a pocket full of lures and that's it. I walk to the water and start catching blues left and right. 15 min later these guys get to the water ...there catching as well , they all have there surf bags on there shoulders and waders on. but they never walk into the water. I'm standing in the water up to my ankles ...keeping my feet cool. enjoying my time fishing. These guys look like they were just showing off all there stuff they had. It was to warm for waders if your standing on the edge of the water. Kept thinking to my self :why put on waders if your not going in to the water ?

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    btw jbarbosa those are some nice trout there! Did you end up catching them with spinners?
    Inline spinner - mepps

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    a few years ago I went to one of my spots were blues were hanging out. I pull up and there 3 guys putting on waders ....they have there fancy rods and reels and brand name surf bags. I get out and say hello ....only one guys says hello. mean while I have shorts on ,water shoes and a t-shirt. the weather was in the Hight 70. I have a pocket full of lures and that's it. I walk to the water and start catching blues left and right. 15 min later these guys get to the water ...there catching as well , they all have there surf bags on there shoulders and waders on. but they never walk into the water. I'm standing in the water up to my ankles ...keeping my feet cool. enjoying my time fishing. These guys look like they were just showing off all there stuff they had. It was to warm for waders if your standing on the edge of the water. Kept thinking to my self :why put on waders if your not going in to the water ?
    LOL

I'm like you once it gets hot those day trips are done in shorts unless its really windy and your legs get blasted by sand. I rather freeze my toes in the water than sweat in waders.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast