Thread: 17 degrees - update

Default 17 degrees - update

I made the trip out west again. Had to visit my mom and my sister's son's. The high today is 17 and snowing. Hold on to your hats the cold weather is coming. Miss you Dark

That's mighty cold Pebbles! Anyone ice fishing there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    I made the trip out west again. Had to visit my mom and my sister's son's. The high today is 17 and snowing. Hold on to your hats the cold weather is coming. Miss you Dark

Miss ya too, Pebbles.

Default Update

It is only 12 degrees here this morning at 9:00am. The lake has not even begun to freeze over. I have my long john's on today, will probably keep them on until I come home.

You may want to take those long johns off in the shower. That may get uncomfortable.

Where out west are you?

14 degrees today. I am in Minnesota, The day I am coming home they are expecting a blizzard! It figures, I quess I'll have to change my flight.

http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?we...q=Waseca%2c+MN

You should be out ice fishing!

I have some friends who go out to MN about once every two or three years. I don't think Ice Fishing starts until January unless your way up north. The ice has to be pretty thick because alot of people use ice houses and drive their vehicles onto the lakes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ice-fishing-car.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	8568

11 degrees and the blizzard has started. I will try to take pics and post them up with mom's camera tomorrow. keep warm guys it is coming your way!

Bundle up sweetheart, and remember ya can't move out there cause I coudn't move that far away from the ocean, and I would miss ya too much and ya would freeze to death anyway.

I like to visit there, it's the only place I know where you can walk into someone's house at 7am unannounced and have coffee and donuts with them. Miss that Midwestern hospitality, but I would miss the salt more.

Tell Aunt Barbara I said Hi, and will try to stop by the next trip around, maybe.

Here are some pics.

Name:	MN Snow 12-9-09 002.jpg 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	8584

Name:	MN Snow 12-9-09 004.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	8585

Name:	MN Snow 12-9-09 005.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	8586

Default Midwest storm

Nice pictures. Is this the storm passing through your area Pebbles? If so be safe!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_storm_rdp
    Heavy snowfall, wind pounding Midwest, New England

AP – A person walks through vented steam, shielded from the rain with an umbrella in Philadelphia, Wednesday, …

By LUKE MEREDITH, Associated Press Writer Luke Meredith, Associated Press Writer – 51 mins ago
    DES MOINES, Iowa – A fierce storm left dangerous ice, heavy snow and vicious winds in its wake as it slogged eastward Wednesday, snarling traffic and closing hundreds of schools from the Upper Midwest through New England.

More than a foot of snow was expected in parts of Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa, where the National Weather Service warned of "extremely dangerous blizzard conditions" and near whiteout driving conditions. Wind gusts of up to 50 mph could build snow drifts between 8 and 15 feet tall. Parts of New England also girded themselves for bone-chilling wind gusts and snow accumulations of up to a foot.
    The storm was blamed for at least 10 deaths, most in traffic accidents.

"It's horrible out there," said Todd Lane, an assistant manager of a Quik Trip convenience store in Des Moines, where several inches of new snow was reported overnight. Plow drivers came into the store all night seeking energy drinks and coffee to keep them alert.
    Motorists got stuck on drift-blocked highways all over Iowa. State troopers were dispatched with National Guard soldiers in Humvees, but some drivers had to wait two hours or longer for rescue. Even the plows were being pulled off the roads because snow drifts were too high to navigate.

"They're not even plowing the streets anymore because the wind will just blow it back down and cover it," said Dan Hansen, a carrier for the U.S. Postal Service in Iowa City. He was bundled up in hand and feet warmers, snow boots and a parka to brave his route. "It'll get worse before it gets better."

In Wisconsin, as many as a dozen tractor-trailers were stuck on interstate ramps made impassible by heavy snow where I-39, I-90 and I-94 intersect near Madison, the State Patrol said. Holiday shoppers hoping to use the snow day to get ahead on their gift lists also were out of luck: The city's two largest malls were closed.

The storm felt like a rude surprise after an unseasonably warm and dry November in parts of the region. The massive system is the first major blast of winter weather for many parts of the Midwest.

"I've been dreading this day," said Kim Brust, shoveling the sidewalk in front of his Minneapolis home before sunrise Wednesday. "I was starting to enjoy the global warming."

Hundreds of flights were canceled or delayed at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, and only a few were scheduled at Des Moines International Airport.

Blizzard warnings also covered eastern Nebraska, where overnight snowfall reports of 12 inches were common, and parts of Kansas, Illinois and Minnesota. Snow also fell in western and central Michigan. Thousands of power outages were reported in Illinois, Missouri, Michigan and Wisconsin.

In the West, pounded by the storm's rain and snow earlier this week, bitter wind chills as low as 40 below swept across portions of southern Montana. The biting winds also were moving across Wyoming and South Dakota, according to the National Weather Service.

By the time the storm moves off the Maine coast Thursday night, it may have affected as much as two-thirds of the country, said Jim Lee, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Des Moines.

Maine and New Hampshire could see snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches capped off by rain and sleet in the evening. In northern New York, as much as a foot of snow was expected to accumulate Wednesday and more than 3 feet was expected by the week's end near the Great Lakes.

"It's a monster of a storm," Lee said.

The storm drenched California with rain, blanketed the mountain West with snow and brought 100 mph winds to New Mexico earlier this week. More than 20 inches of snow fell over Flagstaff, Ariz. — more than four times the record of 5 inches set in 1956. Heavy rain also hit some parts of the South, and more than 4 inches reported in spots in New Orleans on Tuesday.

At least 10 deaths were blamed on the weather, including an Arizona hunter who was killed Monday night when a large pine tree snapped and crushed him as he slept in a tent. The driver of a sport utility vehicle that plunged 90 feet off an icy road into the Texas Panhandle's Palo Duro Canyon also died. Three fatal accidents were reported along slippery roads in Missouri, and a Minnesota driver who braked to avoid a stalled vehicle and wound up crashing down an embankment.

___ Associated Press Writers Dinesh Ramde in Milwaukee, Scott Bauer in Madison, Kevin McGill in New Orleans, Pat Condon in Minneapolis, Felicia Fonseca in Flagstaff, Ariz. and Nigel Duara in Iowa City, Iowa contributed to this report.

2 degrees today, more snow tomorrow.

Name:	Blizzard 12-9-09 014.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	8602

Miss ya sweetie! Did your Mom make my favorite dessert yet?
    BTW ya need to change the date in that camera, or better yet, say a prayer to King Neptune and ask him to rewind the weather back to August.

They had another blizzard today. 20" today another 6 tonight. I am glad I am home.

Here is a pic during better weather of Clear Lake in Waseca MN.

Name:	clear lake.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	8923

That is a beautiful picture Pebbles. Sunrise or sunset?