Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothes for keeping warm

Default Clothes for keeping warm

I use underarmour or longjohns to keep warm under my breathable waders. I wanted to get some fleece liners for them. Are the fleece liners any good or should I be getting something else?

Fleece is very good. Under Armor cold gear will wick away the moisture from your skin. Fleece does the same thing so the fleece may be a bit damp when you get the waders off but your legs will be dry and toasty.

I use UA for my base layer and then have sweats over those, top and bottom, a hoodie for the top. A couple of pairs of socks and my feet are warm as well. Now if I could find a pair of waterproof, real WATERPROOF gloves.....I'll be out there come January.

you could also pick up some hand warmers in the ****'s sporting goods stores. They are good for 8 hours, don't get them wet or they stop working.

X2 on the hand warmers. I think they call them grabbermycoal or something like that.
    Also if you are out wading in the back bays during the spring, wear neoprene waters that don't leak. The not leaking part is kind of important. I tested mine in Feb and had some leaks, had to seal them up with urethane cement.

Quote Originally Posted by Simp View Post
    I use UA for my base layer and then have sweats over those, top and bottom, a hoodie for the top. A couple of pairs of socks and my feet are warm as well. Now if I could find a pair of waterproof, real WATERPROOF gloves.....I'll be out there come January.
    So it's been pretty cold out there, what gloves are you guys using?

Quote Originally Posted by Simp View Post
    I like the UA too.

Default Re: Clothes for keeping warm

Which are the best gloves to use?

ice fishing gloves,complete dexterity and water proof made for fishing

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...lePLA:10848121

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    ice fishing gloves,complete dexterity and water proof made for fishing

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...lePLA:10848121
    Thanks Fin. I will look at these.

Thank you for that too finchaser.

^^^^^ Good advice.
    I think the insulation and materials really help above lesser priced gloves.

As for the rest of your body I have always found layers to be good. The space age materials they have nowadays (fleece, armor tek, rayon and other breathable fabrics) helps to keep you dry and wicks the perspiration away

thermo top
    flannel shirt
    hooded sweatshirt and rain top in snow and rain
    just a pair of jeans under waders

The ladies are warming up but not quite ready had 2 this morning a 20 and a 22 Inch must have come in from mud hole as gannets were diving on herring just out of casting range

I knew you would grab a few before the weekend Fin nice job!! Hope to go Sun morn just not liking the strong SW wind i saw predicted....

I always wear: UnderArmor(top and bottom)
    Tshirt
    Long sleeve tshirt
    Hoodie
    Rain jacket if necessary
    Sweat pants and 2 pairs of wool socks...Keeps me warm most days and alot of walking

thermo top
    flannel shirt
    I wonder if I could ask you and any of the other guys who fish a lot in the cold if it matters what layer goes first. Some have said synthetic vs cotton because the synthetics wick the moisture away.
    How about fleece vs flannel as the outer layer. Any opinions? Thanks.
    It was damn cold last night and I'm just looking for a way to stay out a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Iwhat layer goes first. Some have said synthetic vs cotton because the synthetics wick the moisture away.
    How about fleece vs flannel as the outer layer. Any opinions? Thanks.
    I wear flannel as the last layer, works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post

for the rest of your body I have always found layers to be good. The space age materials they have nowadays (fleece, armor tek, rayon and other breathable fabrics) helps to keep you dry and wicks the perspiration away

Thats the best advice right there. Just look for fabric that wicks the moisture away from your body if you do get wet or start to sweat. Cotton is bad it retains moisture. Any of the nylons or synthetics should be the first layer if possible. You can put the cotton thermals on over that.

flannel or any shirt or sweat shirt always on top of thermal top

I show my age as my thermo top is now some type of space age wicking fabric. I personally wear Cabala's expedition weight top as my first base layer. It's same attire for cod fishing except I wear bottoms under flannel lined jeans

I personally wear Cabala's expedition weight top as my first base layer.
    Wanted to ask about how long they hold up, finchaser? I was looking at them in the online catalog and at some others and trying to figure if they will hold up to washings. They look like they might or might not. Thank you sir

Tried it loved it bought a back up been after 3 seasons still have the second one in the package

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    I knew you would grab a few before the weekend Fin nice job!! Hope to go Sun morn just not liking the strong SW wind i saw predicted....

I always wear: UnderArmor(top and bottom)
    ++ like on the underarmor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast