Thread: Let's see some Vintage Metals and old style tins

Default Let's see some Vintage Metals and old style tins

What metal did you use this fall that worked best for you? Everyone used the Ava, a diamond jig knockoff whose name eventually became as generic as the diamond jig.

In fact, the "Ava jig" became so popular that some guys were going into tackle shops asking for one, being shown the generic diamond profile, and telling the owner that he was wrong, "those are not Avas!"

There are dozens of manufacturers of these popular fall jigs out there. I thought some people might be willing to put up some of what worked for them. Or.. show us some of the more unusual ones that worked for you.

Here's one that became a favorite of mine..

1. Because it allegedly came from King Neptune... the guy who passed one on to me told me he dived down to the bottom in 17 fathoms in 55 degree water and met up with the King, just so he could bring me one.

OR..

2. Because it was made by Finchaser, the original OGB, and came from his private stash, which Killie will inherit one day. One small trick the OGB did was to put some reflective tape on the front, you can see it in the pic. Under the water it reflects like the silver side of the baitfish it mimics. Love those tins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4435.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	8617

This was modeled off of an original old tin mold. The reason I like these tins is that they have slightly more erratic action. They tend to outfish others when the tide changes from or to slack and there isn't much current. They provoke a strike more readily in those conditions.

So let's see some of the different tins ya used or saw out there this Fall. Whether ya used em personally or not, if you find an interesting tin pic, post it up!

Default Point Jude

I really like the Point jude tins. I think they make a quality product, and they do catch when the sand eels and whitebait are around. Some of my favorite ones -

Name:	pjl3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	8620

Name:	pjl5.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	8621

Name:	pjl7.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	8622

I don't go any where without my hopkins and kastmasters w/an assortment of different color tail hooks that I can swap out when I want to change colors.I also like to carry gold colored tins sometimes it makes the difference between hooking up and not I picked up on this tip watching some sharpie diamond jiggers in Montauk it made a difference w/them picking bass amonst all the blues.

I had a pic that I took of a box of old tins I got at a flea market, but I can't find it today. Will try to post when I do find it.
    In the meantime, now is the time to fish tins and small profile metals. The bait in the surf is still very small in most cases, so a tin with a teaser is the premier presentation. They will become more deadly as the surf stacks up with sand eels. That hasn't happened yet, but I expect that to change within the next 30 days.

Feel free to show any of the stuff you're using.

And remember, the old-style tins will sometimes out-fish an Ava 3 to 1 or better.

Default Re: Let's see some fall metals and old style tins

Would you recommend using the old style tins for blues too?