Thread: Kiptopeke va 12/12/09

Default Kiptopeke va 12/12/09

Here's "The Story"........six hours sleep Thursday night.........up @ 5:30 AM on Friday lookin' at the Weather Forecast.......iffy.......off to Work.......Wife checks Weather @ 10:00 AM and calls me @ Work on AM-Break! STILL IFFY but the Evening for Saturday looked HOPEFUL with SE Winds under 10 on one Site and around 11-12 Knt.s on another..............we're goin'!!! Left Work @ 11:00 AM........packing....Eels....dinner...etc., etc.! Lay'd down @ 6:00 PM and up @ 9:30 PM.........3 HOURS Sleep.........here we go COMMANDO

Left the House @ 11:10 PM......get to Kipto in 4 Hours 50 Min.........in the Parking lot in the Park and staring at a Nasty Swell inside the Ships at around 4:30 AM..................(2) other Yakr's setting up to go.......(1) other in his Truck.....said he'd been there an hour and we took the walk over to the Rail....looked out......swell was subsiding........he packed-out and (3) went in @ around 5:00 AM.....wife and I set-up and got dressed.......swell dropping still but gonna be a RUFF AM Session!!!

Got out at before First-Light......fished Hard with Wind against Current the entire Morning.......1-3 Ft. Swells Runnin' right down the Southern Set of Ships all morning.....tuff Fishing with no results for us!!! Heard of (4) Fish caught......we saw one of em but couldn't see the Fish(Still Dark).....heard he took a 40 In. for his keeper and called it! We got the AM Skunk!!! Pulled out at around 8:45 and headed for Hardees Biscuits and Gravy , Sausage Egg and Cheese Biscuits.......and of course we got a (6) Pack of Cinnamon and Raisin Biscuits for the Ride over the CBBT to see Family during the Day We decided the Mid-Day Session was out as Forecast for Mid-Day was the same as the AM!

Visited Relatives and friends for short hops at each in Chesapeake and Va. Beach...........headed back over and was in the H2O by 4:30 PM.........what a difference!!!!!! Winds outta the SE and LOW!!! Almost Back Bay conditions...........bite turned on just at Sun-Set with a guy coming by us from Winston Salem NC with a nice fish.......looked to be at least a 48 In......and FAT

We headed to the end of the Southern Set of Ships.......already occupied.....so we eased over to the Stakes and sat on a Pole when another Yak'r came up to his pole dropped and BANG.....he was on!!! He JUST got there! Then another.......and another.....and another. 12 Yak's up and down the Stakes.......Hook-ups coming from all up and down! It's on! Wife and I are Workin' it.......set my Rod in the Holder for a sec in Free spool with the clicker on.....no sooner than I set it down.......zip-zip......picked it up set the hook and it was on!!! Told my Wife to keep Fishing and not to follow me as I was towed down Current. REALLY wanted her to get a KEEPER Fish this Year!!! Got my Sleigh Ride, fought her around for (2) good runs this way and that way......leader'd her up and used the Double-Lip with Leg Assist Landing! She's in! One Fish in the Bag........Get back to the Stakes and coach the Wife.....She's BEAT.....I'm BEAT........HOPING to get her on 'em!!! I left my old Eel from the first fish on...........put it down and was just messin' with it down not really tryin' to get another but let the Wife get Her fish.........another 45 minutes........saw a few more caught........nibble......nibble......set the hook.....another Run-Around and Bigger Fish in the Boat..........Wife hadn't hooked-up.........so made the Decision and took the second Fish! Pulled back up on the Stakes.......first Words from the Wife....."Can we go now"??? She was beat!!! At this point we were both around 20 hrs. without sleep. Time to call it!!!

Headed in.....took pics.......packed-up.........ride home..........27-1/2 Hr. COMMANDO Kipto-Trip

43 In. and 42 In. Mid 30 Somthin' Lbs. Each

This coming Saturday??????????

Wife and I headed to the Stakes:

The Catch:

WOW, what a adventure that was. Hard fishing, long hours, tough conditions, great pics. Congrats on the fish, their beautiful.

Wurk, huge bass great story, thanks for sharing. Question, do you only use eels or can you use artificials like shads and troll t&w also?

Default beautiful fish!

Wow, beautiful fish!

Thanks guys....had a great time going!!!

VSdreams........yes.....they are occasionally caught on artificial's.........T&W also works in the day time......as one of our Northern Yak'rs proved to the VA boys a couple weeks ago by the High Rise on the CBBT

Incredible story man. I felt like I was right there as you pulled those fish in. Hope your wife gets her fish next time. Anyway it sounds like you both had a blast fishin together, that's what it's all about, WTG.

Thanks Darkskies......awesome trip!!!

Nice fish Wurk!! Guess I missed you all again.. Maybe next year if I don't sell the yak before then can't find anyone around here wants to go and not about to go alone..
    I Live and Breath Fishing!!! It dont get any better..

Century Fishing
    AMSA 736
    Eastern Shore Anglers

Quote Originally Posted by RocksandReds View Post
    Nice fish Wurk!! Guess I missed you all again.. Maybe next year if I don't sell the yak before then can't find anyone around here wants to go and not about to go alone..
    Yo Bro!!!

SELL THE YAK..........It's just gottin' going good in Kipto........I was postin' on EVERY Site that I was comin' down.....where ya been???

NOT GOING ALONE Remember my "Last Years" Fish??? I went "Solo" from NJ Twice to get that one.....Skunk on the First Trip........"Game On"...on the Second!!! Besides.....if theres a Wind outta the East, NE or SE.......you'll have plenty of Company

This Weekend might find me there Friday and Saturday outta the East in one way or another!

Quote Originally Posted by WURK2FISH View Post
    We headed to the end of the Southern Set of Ships.......already occupied.....so we eased over to the Stakes and sat on a Pole when another Yak'r came up to his pole dropped and BANG.....he was on!!! Wife and I headed to the Stakes:

The Catch:

Great story and awesome pics! What are the stakes you are talking about? Do you anchor up to the ships when you are fishing those eels, if not how do you keep in place with strong current? Thanks for the answer, and thanks for posting up that story.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    Great story and awesome pics! What are the stakes you are talking about? Do you anchor up to the ships when you are fishing those eels, if not how do you keep in place with strong current? Thanks for the answer, and thanks for posting up that story.
    Thanks CEBass!!!

The Stakes are poles about 6-8 inch diameter stuck in a row behind the Southern end of the Ships......they're for Pound-Nets.

See Pic......Stakes are in the upper part of pic:

In Fishing the Ships and Stakes........you merely set the rod down under your leg in a paddle(hold it with a peddle) and gently paddle to match the current and hold your position on the structure with the Eel straight down. Object is to hold the Eel in the Eddies as close to the structure as possible just off the bottom.........below is a pic of the rod positioned as you either hold or peddle/paddle:

Here's a link on "How-To":

Kayak Kevin, Kayak Fishing Chesapeake Bay, Kayak Touring on the ICW, Kayak Fishing Photography

Hope this helps ya out!!!

W2F

Here's a Short Youtube Vid of an Angler from Richmond VA using 8 lb. test to set a Line-class record......fish comes unbuttoned but shows some decent footage of Kipto!

YouTube - Kippy Kows 2009.mov

Wurk, Thanks for sharing. Looks like a blast. a great way to extend the season.

Good infomation. Thanks. That's a cool video hat the kid had on.