Thread: Best state for stripers

Default Best state for stripers

From what you know and what you have heard which state would consider the best east coast state for stripers in the surf?

That's a great question. I haven't fished them all so I can't give a positive answer, but for starters, New Jersey isn't all that bad. Plenty of accessible beaches doesn't hurt.

I have done mostly fishing from Delware on up to Mass. Depending on the time of year is how I would place my vote. However, since I live in South Jersey, Jersey is my first favorite choice.

I know I may be partial because I live in NY but Montauk isn't called the Mecca for nothing even though I don't get out there much but like someone else said I don't fish any where else but NY,other than Montauk I have many favorite South shore spots in NY.

for me its nj i have got my biggest fish and i have got my biggest amount of fish so i dont need to go to another state so for me its nj all the way

And to add on why New Jersey is a great state for Linesiders: The season is very long! From Late March until......No license!...yet...Plenty of fishing for everyone, young or "up there", is to be had. You don't have to be part mountain goat to fish here either.

For me it also NJ. I grew up in NY lived there for the first 28 years of my life. The environment that I fished was not true Surf fishing. I fished off of docks, and Rocks. I did ok with the smaller schoolies, My biggest was in GK with a 30 pounder on bait. It was in NJ where I learned the true surf fishing ways.

I am getting curious about further south like the Outer Banks.

NJ, we have miles of good shoreline. Granted a lot of south jersey beaches are shallow, but the inlets and back bays make up for it. We have the Hudson, Raritan, Maurice, Toms, Navesink, Mullica, Shrewsbury Rivers, all great estuaries. I live here so of course I'm biased.

I would say NY and the Hudson River belongs to NY

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    For me it also NJ. I grew up in NY lived there for the first 28 years of my life. The environment that I fished was not true Surf fishing. I fished off of docks, and Rocks. I did ok with the smaller schoolies, My biggest was in GK with a 30 pounder on bait. It was in NJ where I learned the true surf fishing ways.

I am getting curious about further south like the Outer Banks.
    Well being a NY'er and I only fish here so I can't say where the best is other than where the fish are but we are seriously heading to NC when I am able to do something and get all of the issues taken care of, won't be able to afford it here anymore Long Island is fast becoming Manhattan and I'm not a big fan of NY city.Checking out real estate near Morehead City though and when it all comes together I'll throw my last NY cast one for the road and not turn back.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I wish you all the best Stix. Hope it all works out for you.

I'm a NJ guy but the biggest fish I ever caught was from Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    I wish you all the best Stix. Hope it all works out for you.
    Hope so too I need a change anyways need to find my wife some work and see what kind of money I will end up with.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.