Thread: A must read- New Techniques for Atlantic Striped Bass

Default A must read- New Techniques for Atlantic Striped Bass

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

"Keep in mind that we've really experienced only one good year class (2011) in the current fishery. That means the fishing is less consistent than when we once had consecutive abundant year classes. From the late 1990s to 2007, waves of fish of different size classes " with lots of overlap" came through. In other words, the fishing was much more consistent and predictable. Region by region, you had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen at a certain time of the year. That's not the case anymore.

Maine guide Doug Jowett
    calls it the new normal: waves of fish, but with little overlap. There are solid, concentrated bodies of fish moving from region to region. 'We may have an epic bite one day," he says. "The next day you go out at the same tide, bait concentrations are the same, but the fish have moved on." There wasn't anything before them, and there may not be anything after them. Van Staal's Cantelmo correctly describes it as feast-or-famine fishing."

Feast or famine fishing. Def agree, if there was a like button for this comment would hit it a few times. thanks for the post.

A lot of guys have put away the 3-ounce bottle plugs, darters and pencils, says Zeno Hromin, editor of Surfcaster’s Journal.

What will happen to all the dmags and other plug collectors that are selling big wood for $150 and up?

Have been following Capt John for years and feel he has a good take on the conditions out there. Noticed that as well, lots of smaller bass, and a sparse representation of 30 to 50 pounders. Also similar feedback from the guys at my marina.

One year was a good year? I must be mistaken I thought there were a few good spawning years recently.

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    A lot of guys have put away the 3-ounce bottle plugs, darters and pencils, says Zeno Hromin, editor of Surfcaster?s Journal.

What will happen to all the dmags and other plug collectors that are selling big wood for $150 and up?

fancy bonfires and firewood?

I can imagine the signs at the flea markets. "Fire sale- big wood!'

Bigwood is overrated. Jmo
    thanks for sharing that

I would like to see some of those short stripers that they are talking about. I caught maybe 15 stripers last fall. and that was the whole fall and it was a lot of fishing. Well like they said maybe this year will be better, I hope.