Thread: Comcast secretly cheats you

Thumbs down Comcast secretly cheats you

I debated putting this up, but tonight was the last straw. Worked a few hours on a heating system. Came home and wanted to check my e-mail and post here.

It took me 10 minutes to access my e-mail. Why? Because I was getting bandwidth from them at 65k/second, slightly faster than the fax modems of 10 years ago.

I have high speed internet service, pay about $100/month for it. I've been a loyal Comcast subscriber for over 15 years.

When I first noticed the sluggishness, I blamed my older system. I went out and changed the legacy Comcast cable modem I had for a high end Motorola one. I also added a Linksys router, another $150, even though I knew I didn't need one.

I wanted a clean fresh start with my connection links before I called them. I did call them, they tested my system, and the speed. They claim I'm receiving bandwidth somewhere around 655-1000 k/second.

That may be true, for 5 minutes at a time.

Here's my usual setup:
    If you're a multitasker, like I am, you might have 4 or 5 windows open.

1 window for your browser.
    2nd browser window set up to answer and send e-mail.
    3rd browser window open to check weather and surf cams. That's something I do at least 4 times a day.
    1 with a word processing program.
    1 linked to your files for processing pics or videos.

In all, my Windows Task manager says I'm usually using 20-50% of CPU capacity, so I know I'm not taxing the system.

Here's the sneaky little thing I believe they do:
    When you're away from your system for more than a 1/2 hour, ie a period of inactivity, they somehow decrease your bandwith, or something like that.

I can't be sure how it's done, but it's like when a trucking company puts a governor on the truck's motor to prevent the driver going over a certain speed.

How do I know this is true?

All you have to do is close down all your windows, refresh, and you will be back up to maximum bandwidth.

This may sound irrational, but I wanted to bring it to the attention of anyone who multitasks, and has Comcast.

If you experience sluggishness, (and first determine it's not your sysem), try shutting down or closing out your windows so you're back at your log-in.

Start accessing and opening the windows again, and you will see what I'm saying is true. Do a bandwidth test to prove it to yourself, before and after.

If there is a more technical explanation for this so it doesn't fall on Comcast's shoulders, I would love to hear it.

I do know this:
    I have made several calls to them describing the problem in detail, how it happens, when it happens, and how a long time customer like me is frustrated when it happens, to the point of wanting to throw the box through the window.

Each time the best they can do is tell me it's not a bandwidth issue on their end. I methodically changed each component on my end to make sure it's not something stupid I didn't think of. And I feel stupid just for doing all that unneccessary work.

So this is a long-winded rant, but I'm sick of trying with Comcast. Inertia kept me with them for this long.

I wanted to warn others who may be experiencing similar problems they can be resolved quickly by closing and then logging back in again, or in extreme cases by shutting down completely, and re-starting your system.

I hope I can save someone else the aggravation I experienced, but prior to now was just too busy to write about.

The reason this is under customer servide is that IMO their customer service sucks. They value the steady cash flow, but not the steady customer.

Their best response when trying to resolve this was to try to upsell me for high speed digital cable and even higher priced service, at which point they would install fiber optic lines.

I already have high speed regular service, they claim up to1000k/sec, so why pay for more?

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand when I try to resolve an issue with someone and they try to upsell me something I don't necessarily need.

Try verizon, I heard they are pretty good. Only problem is the federal and state taxes and fees. I think becuase it is a phone company you get taxed more.

I used to have trouble with comcast years ago. Now I have no trouble with them. Maybe it is the amount of windows you have open. Sometimes the servers can slow down the site if you are having trouble there as well.

Ya might want to clear out your temporary files too. I know you might have done that, you being the big computer geek that you are and all.

I have Comcast and they suck.
    I loose service (Internet) randomly. 10 minutes, 6 hours, not real often, some times a little more often. Great for a month, then intermittent for a little bit. Most times at a specific time when wife is using it (early morning).
    When this used to happen (3+ years ago) customer service would look at it and I believe increase the signal amplitude (all OK for months). Now all customer service will do is say we need to send someone over to look at it.
    Its bull ****, we were about to cancel 4 months ago and they said wait a few days (some manager). Well next thing you know we don't loose service for 2 months. Now here we go again, 12 days perfect then a few days with a problem or two.
    Great customer dis-service.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

IMO the whole company sucks they are liars on the phone also

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again