Thread: Massachusetts Custom fishing plug makers: A History

Hybrid View

Default Re: Hi-Mar Striper Fishing Club fishing flea market

The original Striper Swiper from Atom Manufacturing Co in Attleboro, MA

Attachment 16397

Attachment 16398Attachment 16399

Attachment 16400

The guy selling these had 2 in pristine condition, $10 each....
    I told him the boxes were worth that much and not to sell them for less....and it turns out 1/2 hour later some guy eagerly forked over $20 to buy both without haggling.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3126.JPG   IMGP3127.JPG  

IMGP3128.JPG   IMGP3129.JPG  

Default Re: Hi-Mar Striper Fishing Club fishing flea market

striper swiper was one of the first saltwater plugs I started using. They are bulletproof and will take a lot of abuse. Thanks for posting DS.

I don't know if this belongs here or the other thread about the modern manufacturers. Feel free to move it elsewhere if ya want, DS.

Yankee Lures - Plymouth MASS, 02360
    Started by 2 guys Jimmy Rogers and Bob Ostby. Rob left about a year later and Jimmy kept up the production for awhile. They made all plastic lures. Heavy polaris popper 3.5 oz. Some of them were distinguished by clear or slightly colored plastic with colored flecks in them.
    Bass Bomb lure as well. Also 2+ oz pencil poppers. There was a rivalry between them and Al Gags. Nothing too serious from what I remember but I think they did not like each other.

Jim was eventually bought out by Pete Johnson who tried to give the company a fresh start. I think the negative feedback about plastic plugs not as good as wood and being heavier eventually did them in. The only shops I remember that carried them don't any more. Mostly available now on e-bay and flea markets.

When I first started fishing these didn't know much about them. They were plastic and I thought a PITA to keep on the surface because so heavy. They were best for the canal during hard current as the polaris tended to dig in a bit and swam up to a foot or more beneath the surface. I found they worked best with herring available and when bass were not actively surface feeding. They were irresistible to bluefish. Maybe that's why so many guys stopped using them. good for rips and rough water as well. The pic here is an original pencil I had laying around. 2 1/4 oz. That color was an absolute bluefish magnet. Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic509.jpg   pic510.jpg