Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techniques - unconventional

Default cracking me up

I think you should add the clambrella, clamzilla, and fishing window weights from the beach to some of these conventional tactics.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=7147

Dark, you should really consider putting some of these in a "best of' forum so we can find them in the winter.

Default Re: cracking me up

^ Steve, funny suggesstions....if we ever take this show on the road. I'm, designating you as the Promo Dude....

Here are some more techniques that I came across the other night, and I hope it's all right with Mike O to share them with you guys. Remember, this is old-skool, and when the guys who fish this way aren't around any longer, some of it may be lost for good.......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    What I remembered about Mike was his old school surf bag, and some of the ways he fishes.
    Rubber eel on tin squid, (also a favorite of Finchaser and some of the other Old Farts....)......Hopkins fished slowly at night.....and some other old-school tactics......

Mike was the first to hook and land a bass. Nice keeper size around 10#.
    I think he also had the hot hand for the night with the biggest fish.
    All the rest were substantially smaller, but we all hooked and landed a few.
    It was a slow pick, we fished all night for those fish, and there were long periods of no activity.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies;60649Here are some more techniques that I came across the other night, and I hope it's all right with Mike O to share them with you guys. Remember, this is [B
    old-skool[/B], and when the guys who fish this way aren't around any longer, some of it may be lost for good.......
    Because most dudes don't want to work for fish.
    If I came out with a plug tomorrow, rattles and erratic swimming, had it available in 100 crazy colors, had some of the surf guys show pics of it catching 30 lb fish, and said you dont even have to work this plug, just reel, I could probably clean up and sell thousands. Guys are always looking for the next best thing. The old school things you talk about here are some of the best because they have been working for decades. Ex - drifting worms on a float for weakfish or bass, almost always gives up fish even in the hottest months. But how many guys are on the forums saying they caught fish this way? Or bucktailing on the bottom of an inlet or river, another sure fire way to get uninterested fish to hit. How many ae doing that.
    It's always the next best thing, that is going to catch the fish. What folks don't realize is the next best thing has been available at the tackle shop, since tackle shops first opened their doors.

Great stuff here. Your righrt hookset, no one wants to work for the fish. Take crabbing its a lot of work. The end result is catching that fish that will bend your rod. Definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I think you should add the clambrella, clamzilla, and fishing window weights from the beach to some of these conventional tactics.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=7147

Dark, you should really consider putting some of these in a "best of' forum so we can find them in the winter.
    X2!

Attachment 18533

Attachment 18534

Some fish I've been getting at night....mostly blues to 7#,,,and one bass.
    The bass hooked in the back wasn't an accident....I also got a bluefish in the back like that....they were feeding on small bait....it seemed they kept missing it as the strikes were more reactionary than aggressive...

Most of my rear hooks have been changed to singles for ease of release and minimal injury.....
    Unfortunately that one bluefish hit so awkwardly he got stuck in the eye....I took some time to get that hook out, so hopefully he wasnt blinded.

Attachment 18529Attachment 18530
    Attachment 18531

Attachment 18532

One of the most effective ways to get these fish to hit, is to "tease" them with poppers at night, almost forcing them to hit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5556.jpg   IMGP5555.jpg  

IMGP5568.jpg   IMGP5570.jpg  

IMGP5506.jpg   IMGP5507.jpg  

You hit on an old school technique dark skies. When I was younger you could not buy poppers and fancy lures. We used to wade the flats at night and toss out pieces of cork floats with bbs stuck into them to make them heavier. Then we would carve slots and indentations on the front part to make them gurgle. Put a heavy leader through it attached to a hook buried partly in the cork. We would throw them out and try to tease the fish into hitting. You would be surprised at the kinds of fish we caught doing that. We would catch bluefish, small stripers and the occasional weakfish. The key is the presentation as you are finding out. You brought back memories with your report. Keep up the good work. Us older folk who can't get out as much enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    You hit on an old school technique dark skies. When I was younger you could not buy poppers and fancy lures. We used to wade the flats at night and toss out pieces of cork floats with bbs stuck into them to make them heavier. Then we would carve slots and indentations on the front part to make them gurgle. Put a heavy leader through it attached to a hook buried partly in the cork. We would throw them out and try to tease the fish into hitting.
    Love this thread. Old-school cred.
    Haven't read a report from you in awhile. Hope you are doing ok clamchucker.

nice tips guys thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12