Thread: Bob Pond has passed

Default Bob Pond has passed

He passed last night at 92. This comment came from another site and I completely agree with the sentiment. He was well-regarded and came from another era when all anglers treated each other with the utmost respect and had manners toward one other.
    RIP Mr Pond.

"...one of the great sportsman of his time. A man whom always listened and gave back to our striped bass resource like none other.
    His early days along the Cape Cod Canal was the beginning of large plugs that in some cases were duplicated and copied. He tutored many of the plug builders of his time including Stan Gibbs, Charlie Murat to name two whom went on to become ledgents themselves."

Another good one gone. Sorry to hear that, rip.

Atom lures, what a guy, condolences to the family.

A true legend, may have done more for the striped bass than anyone. RIP.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I never met him but heard a few great stories. At 92 he was on this earth for many years. He must have had more than one opportunity to anger or irritate someone. Yet I didn't hear anything negative about the man. I guess that says a lot for his character and the way he was brought up.

My sincerest condolences to the Pond family.

RIP. We lost another good angler.

Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Default Hoping the work of Bob Pond will inspire others

Here's a little more about Bob and the things he was involved in:

Stripers Forever members - some of you may have read about the recent passing of Bob Pond of Attleboro, MA, the creator of the Atom plug. We can quickly count at least half of Stripers Forever's board who were members of the now defunct Stripers Unlimited organization which Bob Pond founded. **** Russell, author of Striper Wars, was an old friend of Bob's and consulted him while he wrote that book. **** sent us these words about Bob Pond to share with our membership.

"The passing of Bob Pond at 92 is a great loss, for he was the true pioneer of striped bass conservation. Without Bob's sounding the alarm about the striper population in the mid-1960s, long before anyone else thought there was a problem, this magnificent fish would likely have disappeared from Atlantic coastal waters. After creating the legendary Atom plug used with success by so many anglers, Bob devoted his life to preserving striped bass for future generations. It is our job now to carry his legacy forward. Thank you, Bob Pond, and may you rest in peace. - **** Russell."

We at Stripers Forever share those sentiments

Picture below of Bob Pond from Attleboro, MA newspaper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bob Pond.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	9008

Today 12/26 is the anniversary of Bob's passing on. He's been gone 5 years now.
    I thought it might be OK to bring his thread up today in memoriam.

I have strived to live up to the ideals that Bob talked about. Some have even compared me to him, though in all honesty I don't think I could hold a candle to Bob and the awareness he tried to raise, while many ridiculed him.

Thanks for all you did Bob, and the grief you took from others, to do what you felt in your heart was right.
    If just a few more felt the way you did, and took action trying to raise awareness, perhaps those out there who try to cloud the issues, would be paid less attention to.

RIP Bob.

Met him a few times. He was one of the good ones. rip Sir.

RIP Bob.Condolences to the family.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

rip. i did not know he was the guy who created atom lures.

Did not have the pleasure of meeting him. I wish his warnings were heeded by the latest crop of fishermen. Hope there is a surf line in heaven. Rest peacefully brother fisherman.