Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WHY should I care? WHY should I get involved? Why ME?

Default A possible ray of hope?

Many, including me, have questioned if we really can have an impact on Fisheries Management policy.
    We respond to the requests for e-mails.
    We contact our Senators, and Reps, and receive polite e-mails telling us they are aware of our concerns....

But how do our opinions really get to affect policy?
    Or do they affect it at all?

Here's a chance for you folks out there to get involved, without spending the gas or toll money. These webinars are growing in popularity as travelling gets more tenuous and expensive. Sent in by Finchaser, thanks!

Ask Questions! Express Your Concerns! Let Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council (MAFMC) leadership and National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) representatives know what you think!

What: Public Listening Session

Who: Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council

When: Wednesday April 13, 2011 - 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Where: Annapolis, MD & online at GoToMeeting.com

The MAFMC welcomes your input during a public question & answer session from 5pm to 6pm on Wednesday April 13, 2011 in Annapolis, MD. The session will be in the evening and is designed to allow stakeholders an opportunity outside of the normal Council agenda to ask questions or express concerns regarding Council management issues. Topics you may want to discuss include:

Ecosystem Management
    Bycatch Reduction
    Catch Shares
    Recent Assessment Results
    Recreational Data Collection
    Research Set-Aside Program
    Allocation Issues
    Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning
    Annual Catch Limits
    ...and anything else on your mind!

Questions will be taken as time allows from both those attending in person and via webinar.

For online webinar access register at: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/963693944 - once registered you will receive an email confirming your registration with the information you need to join the webinar.

For those interested in attending this public comment session in person, directions are available at www.historicinnsofannapolis.com/html/annapolis-hotel.asp. The session will be in the Governor Calvert House (410-263-2641).

Contact Jason Didden at jdidden@mafmc.org or 302-526-5254 if you have any other questions or if you would like to confirm your ability to access the session via webinar

Thanks Dark, I just registered for that, hope it will be interesting.

Sorry monty...I dont see any recreational fishermen selling stripers to market

Quote Originally Posted by fisherofmen View Post
    I feel that recreational fisherman kill to many bass.
    Whether for the table, pumping their chests, to win tournaments or to sell.
    The limits are way to generous.
    Guys like johnny bucktails, the charter boats, party boats, were killing 3 bass per person. This would happen if they found a concentration of bass, they would go and try to wipe it out.
    The new group "1 @ 32"" is a great start, but clowns like johnny bucktails or rip316 would never join that 1 @ 32 group, because they don't care about anything but killing their share of breeder size bass. And their share is what the limits are set on, and the people who set the limits are corrupt and really don't care that the Striped Bass population is in trouble.

The book CAUGHT by Jeff Nichols, goes into a bit of detail on the recreational sale of Striped Bass.
    Seems to happen in the New York area.

Those be my thoughts.
    Welcome aboard
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Sorry but I dont agree with that. In Ma and LI a lot of recreationals sell their bass. I read part of that book caught and it talks about it. In NJ there are plenty of chinese restaurants and fish markets that will buy your bass. One time we went to a chinese restaurant in sea bright. The guy cooked a bass we caught. Then later he came by and said if we bring him more he would give us free meals. So he may not have exactly bought from us but he was actively looking to barter for bass.

X2 have to ask if you live in maryland did you know a lot of the poaching goes on there. Never once did you see or hear of anyone selling? If you drive down rt 1/9, or rt22 in New Jersey or go over to Chinatown in NY you can find striped bass for sale. Mostly the asian produce and fish markets. I seen bass for sale in there.

Good read by Charles Witek. Basically he says that even the best groups can get sidetracked as they get larger. He still suggests fining a grassroots group that appeals to you, and getting involved.
    https://oneanglersvoyage.blogspot.co...-and-fish.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123