Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WHY should I care? WHY should I get involved? Why ME?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    It seems like Lubchenco is very conservative. Is she shutting down commercial fishing also? Why is a set size and limit for all states not the best way (if it was set at a consevative #)? These questions are relative to the stance that the RFA takes. Does the RFA have a stance on the current striper regulations in NJ/NY which I feel are terrible and should be changed (1 fish per person is plenty and raise the size to 36")? If the RFA is "looking out for charters, surf/boat fisheman", they more than likely do not want to reduce the current regs.
    No most commercial fishing goes on as normal or with increases, she just goes after the recreational guys which she has no use for.
    As stated without us things would be easier to manage and lets not forget renaming fish to sea kittens to teach children not to kill fish that's the side Ms. L sides with.
    This is what the RFA fights for our right to catch and bring home a fish to eat when you want to. Forget about the bass it's way beyond that now.

I agree with a 1 fish at 28 to 32" was great when we had that stocks built fast and way less people fished for them. Most importantly it would spare the most prolific breeders in the 32 to 36 inch range. Even a true trophy tag of 1 fish over 50" per year per angler.But it's not just about bass anymore.

The coastal size was first suggested for 2010 for fluke 2 fish at 19 1/2 inches which would wipe out most breeding females. No science was even considered on this one. SSFFF and RFA played a major role in it's defeat.

Once the states have no say our congressman and senators become almost totally useless.The RFA works in conjunction with the good ones like Pallone to help get bills passed. Like the beloved bunker bill which in some instance people care more about than the bass because without bunker they couldn't catch a bass. The mind set if there are bunker there will be bass. Yep there like Dorrito's will just make more bass

But this is about recreational rights to catch and keep fish any kind not just bass. IMO they are testing the waters.

The new registry is going in place so they can call fisherman instead of people out of the phone book which led to some of the inaccurate info which caused allot of this mess.

Another problem is Obama is not a sportsman like Bush and others were, his appointment of Lubchenco in 2/09 from PEW some think was a political payback.

So as stated by editorial,conservation columns this is about our rights, forget about bass, 5 fisheries have been closed in less than a year and others are being targeted..

Everyone needs to start looking at the BIG PICTURE or bass will fall by the wayside and I personally don't want that twice in my lifetime

The End

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thanks Dark and Finchaser for the info and opinions. I'll be supporting the RFA, it makes lots of sense.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

The same as Monty said. Thanks Guys. I'm jumping aboard with RFA. I'm joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    It seems like Lubchenco is very conservative. Is she shutting down commercial fishing also?
    Lubchenco is Conservative so long as it pertains to the people buttering her Bread. Some of the things she and her cronies are proposing make me toss in my mouth a bit.

I agree with DSkies Stripers Forever is truly focused on Striped bass conservation and trying like hell to open ears and minds to what is really going on with fisheries management.

Other reasons you should join Stripers Forever

1. The group is 100 percent volunteer based and runs it self strictly on donations. Not a single dime of money that comes into that group, does not go to Conservation efforts

2. Many of the Founding members of Stripers forever have lived through the Striper wars and the moratorium and have seen the Ebb and Flow of Striper Populations.

3. They propose sound management of stocks while eliminating commercial fishing.

Un Like the NJ bonus tag system the current Gamefish Bill in MA proposes the entire MA quota be earmarked for conservation not returned to the national quota or slated for rec. take.

In fact they actually propose eliminating a keeper per outing per rec angler. Reducing the take to one per day.

I understand people think comm fisherman and recreational fisherman each have a place on the water but from where I stand any time a fish has a dollar sign attached to its head the dollar sign becomes more important than the fish.

The more members SF has the bigger voice it has with law makers.

Default Here goes another fish closed by MS Lubchenco

Florida-no Grouper
    just got off the phone with an old friend.he charters in the keys.as of jan. 1 no grouper for 4 months.they already took away the red snapper,now grouper.what is next for them.he is from n.j. and i told him about our situation with the winter flounder and weakfish.it was always my plan to semi retire in the keys and charter part time.i guess i should make new plans.wish i could here some good news for a change.if they mess with the stripers i quit!!

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    A lot of people laughed this off. If you think about it rationally, it's a brilliant campaign designed ultimately to prevent or restrict us from fishing.

These devious eco-freaks have designed a very intelligent campaign to get into the minds of schoolchildren and get them to think about fish as delicate creatures that they can adopt as pets or feel sorry for.

Make no mistake about it, the obvious intent is to turn the young generations against fishing. A very well placed strategic move in their war against anyone who fishes.

I could merely just say to PETA and the PEW trust people, but have realized that just because I give them an they won't go away.

In fact, they become stronger every year as they place their disciples in key gov't positions.

They get stronger, while we fishermen argue among ourselves.

The sea kittens campaign was stupid. I agree it was brilliant as well. We should find out where the head leaders live and send them rotting bunker heads in the mail. Maybe they can make bunker kittens out of them.

I could merely just say to PETA
    Does PETA protect all fish?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	633852119475294995-peta.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	8989

Historically, there's a much larger % that can't be bothered. (the 90/10 rule which accounts for fishing success as well as political involvement)
    I think that holds true for a lot of things. People don't get involved unless the issue is right in their backyard. Good thread, I'm joining Stripersforever this week.

I got a better peta one for ya Steve. Ducks unlimited.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5f5413b0.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	8992

Default Hoping the work of Bob Pond will inspire others

Here's a little more about Bob and the things he was involved in:

Stripers Forever members - some of you may have read about the recent passing of Bob Pond of Attleboro, MA, the creator of the Atom plug. We can quickly count at least half of Stripers Forever's board who were members of the now defunct Stripers Unlimited organization which Bob Pond founded. **** Russell, author of Striper Wars, was an old friend of Bob's and consulted him while he wrote that book. **** sent us these words about Bob Pond to share with our membership.

"The passing of Bob Pond at 92 is a great loss, for he was the true pioneer of striped bass conservation. Without Bob's sounding the alarm about the striper population in the mid-1960s, long before anyone else thought there was a problem, this magnificent fish would likely have disappeared from Atlantic coastal waters. After creating the legendary Atom plug used with success by so many anglers, Bob devoted his life to preserving striped bass for future generations. It is our job now to carry his legacy forward. Thank you, Bob Pond, and may you rest in peace. - **** Russell."

We at Stripers Forever share those sentiments

Picture below of Bob Pond from Attleboro, MA newspaper

I think I read here that when Bob Pond started talking about conservation, people didn't want to listen back then either. They finally listened when the fishing was shut down for the moratorium.

People Still don't want to listen. People still believe what ever their own agenda tells them is right. The people that do believe in conservation like me do take it on the chin from certain sectors of the fishing world. But the idea is gaining ground.

Default Effectiveness of different strategies

Effectiveness of different strategies
    Many times guys will ask me: "Well, ya know, how can I be certain that my letter will make a difference? won't it just get thrown away, or read by an aide?"

Those are good questions, and valid. There are times when it may seem not as productive to write letters, IMO if you want the attention of politicians here are the ways to do it, from the most effective to the least:

1. Granting, or withholding, campaign contributions.

2. Lobbyist contact attempts and meetings by lobbyists who represent a specific constituent group.

3. Personal protests and demonstrations. Nothing is more visually impressive than an organized protest. Politicians know they bring news coverage, and don't want any negative press connected with their names.

4. Q&A sessions where a politician is exposed to public questions. Politicians are very responsive to any public meeting they attend where they see a good number of citizens (ie potential voters) are galvanized for or against a particular issue.

5. Letter writing campaigns. Politicians know they have to pay attention if the volume is high. There are several categories within this:
    a) Hand written letters - hand written letters are usually more effective, because almost no one does this anymore. If legible, carefully worded, and not too long, (that leaves me out!! ) these have the best chance of getting read by the actual politician. Only the best of the best letters have a chance of reaching this point.
    b) Form letters or postcards - effective, but usually only to calculate the sheer number of voters that are pissed off about an issue.

6. E-mail campaigns and online petitions. Although it's easier for our generation to do this, the truth is most politicians don't read their e-mails. How can you expect them to if they get thousands of them? I would say if anyone wants to do this, if you don't have time to participate in any of the ways above, by all means you should send one. It can't hurt.

But also realize it's one of the least effective strategically. There's no consistent way to prove if a politician ever got or had the chance to read your e-mail, no matter how passionate it may sound.

If you don't have the time, resources, or energy to get physically involved, that's OK. You can't expect everyone to feel the same way you do on any given issue. That's one of the reasons you'll notice here while this year I'll be trying to promote C&R more, I don't ever think it's fair to shove those views down someone's throat.

I like to eat fish I catch at times, and don't want anyone else to preach to me that I shouldn't. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

So C&R, just like joining an organization and supporting them, should be a personal, voluntary choice. On the other hand, if someone does nothing to stand up for their fishing rights in any way, then they would not have any grounds to complain when those rights are arbitrarily taken away.

Also, if you really don't have the time to get involved, you can help to make a difference by contributing to the organization whose vision most fits yours.

Please realize I'm not nesessarily pitching here for you so send money to the JCAA, RFA, SSFFF or whatever organization we're talking about at the moment.

These are all personal choices, whether we give something or not. I merely wanted to offer those who were concerned, an optional choice.

NJ legislature contact info
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/

You can't expect everyone to feel the same way you do on any given issue. That's one of the reasons you'll notice here while this year I'll be trying to promote C&R more, I don't ever think it's fair to shove those views down someone's throat.

I like to eat fish I catch at times, and don't want anyone else to preach to me that I shouldn't. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

So C&R, just like joining an organization and supporting them, should be a personal, voluntary choice. On the other hand, if someone does nothing to stand up for their fishing rights in any way, then they would not have any grounds to complain when those rights are arbitrarily taken away.

Also, if you really don't have the time to get involved, you can help to make a difference by contributing to the organization whose vision most fits yours.

Please realize I'm not nesessarily pitching here for you so send money to the JCAA, RFA, SSFFF or whatever organization we're talking about at the moment.

These are all personal choices, whether we give something or not. I merely wanted to offer those who were concerned, an optional choice.
    I am glad to see you phrased it that way darkskies. That's one of the reasons that makes it worth coming here. Thanks for the effort.

for the NY boys
    you know there is a man out there named willie young
    he heads MSA and the coalition (NYCRF)
    do you know he knows more assembly men/women and senators in new york state then anyone i know who isnt in politics
    ive been to albany with him and chatted with these politicians and believe me they are reachable

these politicians do not know or have time to get details about the things we hold dear to us
    i have been told that any information sent to these people is better then nothing
    if only one side of the debate sends info what else are they to do
    you guys all know the problems we are facen yet at last nights New York Coalition for Recreational Fishermen meeting there were only 14 people
    we all have lives
    but when there is no more fishing to get away from your lives whatcha gonna do then ?

New York Coalition for Recreational Fishermen
    Montauk Surfcasters Association
    Long Island Beach Buggy Association

all of these groups kick *** and take names for fighting to keep us fishing in all ways and fourms
    come to a meeting
    ask some questions
    take some notes
    bring some ideas
    lookem up on the net
    do something aside from sitting on the internet talking about it

is what we need to win

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
    for the NY boys
    you know there is a man out there named willie young
    he heads MSA and the coalition (NYCRF)
    do you know he knows more assembly men/women and senators in new york state then anyone i know who isnt in politics
    ive been to albany with him and chatted with these politicians and believe me they are reachable

these politicians do not know or have time to get details about the things we hold dear to us
    i have been told that any information sent to these people is better then nothing
    if only one side of the debate sends info what else are they to do
    you guys all know the problems we are facen yet at last nights New York Coalition for Recreational Fishermen meeting there were only 14 people
    we all have lives
    but when there is no more fishing to get away from your lives whatcha gonna do then ?

New York Coalition for Recreational Fishermen
    Montauk Surfcasters Association
    Long Island Beach Buggy Association

all of these groups kick *** and take names for fighting to keep us fishing in all ways and fourms
    come to a meeting
    ask some questions
    take some notes
    bring some ideas
    lookem up on the net
    do something aside from sitting on the internet talking about it

is what we need to win

Right on the $$ with those comments, Hemi. Anyone who is active in the rights of fishermen in the LI area has to have heard of Willy. It's been said he did more for LI fishermen access in the early years that any 10 guys put together.

And as Willy gets older, he's still full of fire and energy. Nonetheless, more soldiers are needed to get involved in this fight for fishermens' rights. Make no mistake, it is a fight, there are powerful, well-funded groups out there who hate fishermen and would rather we all gave up fishing to play golf.

There are even members of fisheries management committees who have no clue about the passion we have for fishing. Some of them have jokingly said if we lose access to fishing some species..

"...we can always take up golf".

That's why I and others try to raise awareness. You're doing the same job too, Hemi, trying to rouse the troops of fishermen in the trenches for when support is needed.

And what do we get????

14 guys at a meeting.

Appalling, such lack of support. Yet, that's how it goes.

It's been said that 90% of the fishermen are happy to let the other 10% do the work. That's who you see at the meetings all the time, Hemi, you, and a few others, and guys like Willy trying to light a fire.

What can I say except keep up the good work. Going to the meetings and fisheries management meetings sucks. It's boring as hell, many guys say they have better things to do.

We'll all have to find better things to do if the day comes when we can't fish for striped bass anymore.

So like Hemi said, please consider getting involved. If you can't, then try to give some $$ to support those groups who will fight for you.

Default Meet the RFA

I've been meeting different RFA members and trying to get their perspectives of what they do and why fishermen should consider getting involved in fisheries management and fishermen issues.

I met these gentlemen at the Greater Phila Sportsmans show in Oaks, PA last week.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=6074

I'll try to post up some more interviews as I get time.

2-28-10 RFA Joe Wrigley interview
    Joe is the tri-state coordinator and a PA delegate of the RFA
    Joe has been fishin for over 50 yerars.

Joe answers the question why fishermen should get involved...

2-28-10 RFA Jim Wynn interview.
    Jim is a grassroots coordinator for the PA area.

2-24-10 Jim Smarr Texas RFA rep interview at Fishermens' march on Washington rally

Default Why writing a letter isn't always the best strategic move

Effectiveness of different strategies
    6. E-mail campaigns and online petitions. Although it's easier for our generation to do this, the truth is most politicians don't read their e-mails. How can you expect them to if they get thousands of them? I would say if anyone wants to do this, if you don't have time to participate in any of the ways above, by all means you should send one. It can't hurt.

But also realize it's one of the least effective strategically. There's no consistent way to prove if a politician ever got or had the chance to read your e-mail, no matter how passionate it may sound.

A member here sent a letter to NOAA. The response he got back in return shows that his opinion was discounted and minimized. He got a standard form letter, which may indicate his letter was never even read at all.

This is a further push to get you people involved and support fishermen PACS like the RFA. They get the responses and results that we can't get individually. Meanwhile, there is a push for the new bunker bill, for guys to write to their congresssmen, etc. If you're tempted to write such a letter, first ask yourself if it will get read at all?

The Letter:
    Dear Mr. Schwab -

Thank you for holding the recent Saltwater Anglers Recreational Fishing Summit. I understand that NMFS is prepared to recognize the need for different management measures and fairer allocations concerning fish species that are important to the recreational angling community. We could start with striped bass on the Atlantic coast.

NMFS reps to the ASMFC have been at best allocation neutral in spite of studies that clearly show the maximum public benefit would come from a total allocation to the recreational community. Additionally, NMFS reps have not recognized the need for more conservative management of striped bass and now the great success story of the striper's recovery is more than threatened. Recreational catches have declined over 50 percent annually in the last few years, and there are no good year classes in the wings. Meanwhile, commercial catches have continued without reduced quotas and large illegal commercial catches have also been verified.

Please direct your representatives to strongly support decreased fishing mortality for striped bass and to safeguard the already declining recreational share of this resource."

thank you

The Response:

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your thoughts. I thought that the recent summit was a very productive meeting. We are evaluating that input and identifying an action agenda to build off of the ideas expressed at the summit.

Thank you for your email expressing concern for the status of the Atlantic striped bass stock. Striped bass management has been a great success in restoring one of the East coast’s most popular fisheries. At the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) recent meeting, NOAA Fisheries Service expressed concern about ASMFC taking action that could lead to increased mortality with striped bass. The ASMFC will be taking the draft Addendum to public hearings, giving you an opportunity to make your comments known on the management of this important fishery.

As you know, the Exclusive Economic Zone (3 miles offshore to 200 miles) remains closed, as a conservation measure, to commercial and recreational fishing for striped bass. We take our management responsibilities seriously and continue to work closely with state and Federal partners to ensure compliance with fishery regulations. Please also be assured that NOAA Fisheries Service will base any future decisions on striped bass management on the best available science. Again, thank you for your concerns and I look forward to working with you in sustaining America’s living marine resources.

Sincerely,

Eric C. Schwaab
    Assistant Administrator for Fisheries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast