Thread: Your Go To plugs for the fall run

Default Your Go To plugs for the fall run

I know it didn't get started yet and there are not too many bass and big blues around. But that should change soon, and I want to be ready. What will be the top 5 kinds of plugs you will carry for the fall? What will be the first plug out of your bag for fall surf fishing? thanks, fellas!

I have a general plan that keeps getting adjusted as I get more experience.
    The current plan for the fall is to carry 11 plugs and some Hogys, some metal.
    I will throw Rip-Pluggers wood (like in the first pic) First out of the bag.
    Pencils, 7" and 9" like in the second pic.
    The 3rd and 4th pics are the teaser that I will use the majority of time.
    The 5th pic is some of the metal I will use.
    These are the plugs/lures/teasers that I enjoy fishing and catching with the most.
    After Labor day I will fish mostly out front.
    In rough water (high surf, big east wind) I throw the teaser and an Ava 37 (with red tail).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180008b.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	7513

Name:	P3130082a.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	7514

Name:	P6130034b.jpg 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	7515

Name:	P6130027b.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	7516

Name:	P5230012a.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	7517
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I don't really have a lot of plugging experience, but according to some of the threads here, I will be using bombers, needlefish, and Monty I like that setup with the red tube, it looks killer. I want to try that one.

bombers
    storm shads when the peanut bunker leave the back bays
    danny style swimming plugs for quiet water at night
    needlefish, I will try to use them more and learn about them
    metal, for nasty days, and also the T-hex profiles for peanut bunker and sand eels

all about the large pikies, pencils of assorted colors, polaris poppers, lipped swimmers, and casting swimmers. Bucks and sluggos. a.k.a. everything. O and hopefully.... be tossin some GunnyRunners, and Superneedle 2.0's. CANT....WAIT....

darters
    metal
    bucktail and pork

So far its been Ava 37, dark red tail and the teaser in the mouth.

Name:	PB020020a.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	8122

Thanks for all the opinions fellas. Learned a lot from this thread. What are you using now and what would be the best time and conditions to use darters? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    So far its been Ava 37, dark red tail and the teaser in the mouth.

Name:	PB020020a.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	8122
    is there a time where red surg tube is better than green, visa versa?

Metal and AVA white and olive 34009ss bucktailed hook or, PoJe same hook, or deadly penis , Hopkins same hook, . As you can see I am not a teaser fan if I am forced to use one late fall on micro bass one of my olive over white clousers will also mimic winter spearing. Plug SP minnow or mucho minnow or yellow or root beer over white Super strike stubby needle . In the back bucktail with twister tail or jig head with a riptide mullet tail or lunker city shaker tail for a plug mucho minnow or windcheater.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    is there a time where red surg tube is better than green, visa versa?
    I have caught on red one. Have tried white, green, yellow and black with terrible results. The red one has caught in all seasons.

Thanks Monty-

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Thanks for all the opinions fellas. Learned a lot from this thread. What are you using now and what would be the best time and conditions to use darters? thank you

I bring out a darter when it's big water or fast current and I want the plug to dig in for a few more seconds. those would be the big darters like the tattoos, superstrike and northbar. Smaller darters like the mag darters I would bring out when it's a little calmer or there is more time between wave sets. Magdarters are great during the mullet run. Fish em the right way and they can imitate fleeing mullet.

Name:	P8180008b.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	7513

Name:	P3130082a.jpg 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	7514

Name:	P6130034b.jpg 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	7515

Name:	P6130027b.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	7516

Name:	P5230012a.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	7517

Good choices monty. Like the white and red pencils. I crushed the blues on them today. Lots of mullet around in my general area this morning.

I will throw Rip-Pluggers wood (like in the first pic) First out of the bag.
    In rough water (high surf, big east wind) I throw the teaser and an Ava 37 (with red tail).
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Metal and AVA white and olive 34009ss bucktailed hook or, PoJe same hook, or deadly penis , Hopkins same hook, . As you can see I am not a teaser fan if I am forced to use one late fall on micro bass one of my olive over white clousers will also mimic winter spearing.

Plug SP minnow or mucho minnow or yellow or root beer over white Super strike stubby needle . In the back bucktail with twister tail or jig head with a riptide mullet tail or lunker city shaker tail for a plug mucho minnow or windcheater.
    Thanks much for the great advice. I was wondering if you feel you can catch the biggest fish with teasers and also right now I read about some rainfish and spearing and guys haveing trouble catching when the bait is so small. So what plugs wouild you all recommend for this little bait? Would you go against the grain and throw those big metal lip plugs or do you think it is better to throw small stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Thanks much for the great advice. I was wondering if you feel you can catch the biggest fish with teasers and also right now I read about some rainfish and spearing and guys haveing trouble catching when the bait is so small. So what plugs wouild you all recommend for this little bait? Would you go against the grain and throw those big metal lip plugs or do you think it is better to throw small stuff?
    I would be throwing lots of needle plugs with teasers. Would mix in a big Hogy. And Avas, with teaser. Not so much of the big plugs. Hearing some sand eels are in the 7-8 inch size.

I would be throwing lots of needle plugs with teasers. Would mix in a big Hogy. And Avas, with teaser. Not so much of the big plugs. Hearing some sand eels are in the 7-8 inch size.
    Def what I am doing. SS needles at night. Green is a good color. Rubber for fishing current and deeper. Love those tsunami sandeels. You also can't go wrong with an ava. bring different sizes and tail colors. Teasers are getting some of the bigger fish now.

Right now I don't have a go to plug. Have been catching fish on teasers because I saw that was what a lot of guys were doing here. Anything else thats working, plug wise? thanks