Thread: How to: Reading the water

Hybrid View

This is a great post guys. I have not been fishing that long and always get great advice here. This post is awesome. Thanks.

Great information!!! I have spent a lot of time throwing black bombers into an inlet current running full blast, thinking I was doing the right thing to get into some big fish and catching skunks instead. Time to fish smarter.

One other question, is there anything that you just don't fish at inlets because it's a waste of time? I'm wondering about things like metals and even using bait.

Thanks to everyone for the lessons.

Plugs:
    Anything that is considered a swimmimg plug I like to fish as slow as possible.
    If you think you're reeling too slow, slow down some more. Just keep the plug moving to keep slack out of the line.

The only exception would be a needlefish you need to try different things w/these.Those posts DS put up are a great read.

I like to throw bucktails and large rubber shads at night at an inlet.

I don't fish inlets much during the day. Fall and early spring there can be some action w/ big blues when the fish are using the inlet for migration. This could be some quick good daytime action. Just bring some heavier tins and poppers. This is one of those "I was at the right place at the right time" things. It probably won't repeat itself daily.

Bait:
    If your going to fish bait use eels at night. If you have never done it try and pick up some tips on it. Eel balls are a nightmare. I fish fresh bunker during the day.
    Bring lots of rigs because you will get hung up and lose them.

I like a fishfinder rig so the bass doesn't feel the weight when they pick up the bait

I use only circle hooks.
    I use gamakatsu 8/0 and mono line 30 lb test.

This is one exception - on a jetty when I break out the 11 ft. Old Ugly Stik rod & a larger line capacity reel, a big bass will take quite a bit of line on its initial run. You need to try and get control w/o horsing the fish. They usually have a couple good runs in them before they wear down. You need to let the fish set the hook.

w/ circles don't rear back when the fish takes off. "Bow to the cow" and when the line comes tight hold on. Just think of every strikeout as a lesson learned. You never stop learning. Hell we all get skunked. Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it, or how much you know.

Family first:
    One last bit of advice. Take it any way you want. If your a family guy, remember you have a family. This addiction, like any other could drag you down to places you don't want to be.

Been There Done That.
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 01-10-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added sentence breaks.

Default Reading the water - beaches

Inner bar changes:
    Another beach scenario that I have seen over the last few years is the inner bar getting pushed up on the beach due to erosion. You will have the situation of wading through some water to get to the exposed bar at low tide.

1-What you have at low tide is a sandbar on land, in which that water you wade through at low tide will be a trough at high tide(much deeper).

You are safer to walk to a break in the trough to enter the exposed bar. That break will be a cut when the tide is in(much deeper) The water your casting in is actually the outer bar.

If the fish are there thats the only place they will be unless they are way out where another bar is forming.

2-the bar you were fishing on will remain a bar just back underwater as the tide rises.

3-When the water starts rising the waves are going to start slamming that ledge of the bar and filling the trough behind you.
    If you are not paying attention you could end up in a bad place. b Where you walked in will be going underwater. When that bar appears to be getting smaller to stand on, its time to pack up and get out of there.

4-Try not to stray too far from the break you came in on.
    That will be your safest way out if you get side tracked. If it starts to get covered look for water rushing in and out that will be where you came in. That little bit of moving water can trip you up. be careful and the sand will be getting softer.

5-I don't mean this to sound totally unsafe but its not one of the best beach scenarios for the new guys. You just need to use your head and know the tides. Constantly pay attention to whats behind you as well.
    You will learn how to negotiate these situations. If its real bad stay out of there. You will find fishable places somewhere else.
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 01-10-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added sentence breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaminofishin View Post
    Great information!!! I have spent a lot of time throwing black bombers into an inlet current running full blast, thinking I was doing the right thing to get into some big fish and catching skunks instead. Time to fish smarter.

One other question, is there anything that you just don't fish at inlets because it's a waste of time? I'm wondering about things like metals and even using bait.

Thanks to everyone for the lessons.

Metals are good any time bluefish are around. If they are chasing bait you will see them. If not use a heavier tin and vary the retrieve until you see what they want.

Bait is good for when the current slows down, like near slack tide. Otherwise you will spend all your time peeling weeds off of it. One difference is if you are going for tog in the rocks with crabs. They will find the bait in most stages, but tend to back off a bit when current is strongest, and i have not found them to be most active at exact slack, you need a small amount of current for them. Hope this helps.

Great thread.

When I hit the suds this spring I will have bucktails ranging from 1-4 ounces with some pork rind. I figure I will be using some shock leader that I will tie direct to the jig, and will probably use a barrell swivel to connect the leader to the line. I'll have a few Bombers, probably black for night and school bus or another light color for daytime. I'll still keep my Popper for daybreak, and maybe dust off that old Danny Plug that hasn't seen the water in years.

I'll pick up some new Korkers and go with foul weather pants instead of waders so I don't sink like an anchor if/when I go in the drink.

I'll probably spend a lot of time throwing the bucktails at night, both in the inlets and on the beach, hoping to get confident in my ability to fish the lure right under different conditions. When the inlet current slows down I hope to have an eel to throw out and let swim around. I have fished them from boats and they can be a problem.

Again, I appreciate the great advice. How's my plan look so far?

The best way to keep an eel under control is too ice them down.

I use 2 five gallon buckets one inside the other you don't want a smaller bucket on top you need some room in the bottom bucket.

The top bucket you will drill holes in the bottom of it.(This is for the eels slime to drip into the bottom bucket or they will suffocate in their own slime)

So now the buckets are set up:You will also need a burlap bag or a couple of onion sacks I like the onion sacks they are easier to wash off.

Bring the buckets with you to pick up the eels so they are not in a bag of water that will kill them faster.

Put the eels in the top bucket the bags over the eels and ice on top of that(Flaked ice is to compact for this cubes are better)( you do not want the ice directly on the eels) you dont' need to bury them just a little ice will do the thing is keep the eels cool and damp this is where burlap is a little better.

The ice will slow them down easier to hook less inclined to get an eel ball while baiting anyway.As the ice melts it will wash enough slime out of the top bucket into the bottom bucket so they don't die.

Don't cover the bucket that will defeat the whole purpose bungee it down somewhere you don't want eels loose you will never find them all until its too late

I know there are plenty of new mesh bags out there but I have kept eels alive for 3-4 days iced down just keep them away from critters and the sun.And did you ever try to get one lively eel out of a bag of 6-12.

When they hit the water is when they come back to life, only fish eels w/ a slowing current or you are going to have one mess on your hands.

Just a bit of advice if you catch one bass on an eel don't change it you'll have a better chance to catch more bass on that one than a new one, as long as the tail curls when you hold it up its good to go.You might want to move this I just realized maybe not the spot for it just got caught up in this thread.

Hey, Surfstix,

I'll gladly carry the buckets with the ice and the eels. Let's go fishing.