Thread: Tips for catching Fluke in the surf?

Default Tips for catching Fluke in the surf?

What works best for you when catching fluke from the surf?

Not a big fluke fisherman, but bucktails and teasers will do it.

bucktails with a piece of pork rind on it is killer. or strip of bunker for the doormats.

^^ 'Bucktails with strip of bunker". I wonder who taught you that, Rip? That's a technique a lot of the old salts use. Fillet a side of bunker and put a strip on the bucktail. It's deadly in some deep water areas where you're fishing directly from above. Good for those times when they ain't hittin the bucktail, but you feel they're there anyway.

I did learn that from an old salt. I was taught that a little fresh meat will always work. Scent plays a huge roll on weather you are catching or not. One day we were out snagging bunker for bass and on our way back we saw boats concentrated in the river so we stopped. guys were fluke fishing and not doing much but we all know the Manasquan River holds fluke. So we start slicing up small pieces of the bunker and stuck em on 1/2 plain jig heads. Ended getting yelled at cuz we were catching when no one else was. They didn't want killies they wanted meat. Some serious personal satisfaction that I actually used something I learned and that it actuall worked.

I catch a s-load of fluke with the gulp sandworms.

Default Re: What presentation works the best for you?

Gulp swimming mullets on jig head. Work when they are finiky early or late season

For me it's light bucktails with gulp.

Fishing report, Got 8 fluke on gulp and gulp teaser on the incoming tide. Water was nice and the fluke hit hard. One keeper 19" that will be my lunch tomorrow.

I love fluking the beach..Light tackle fun to BT up... espcially when the snappers show ands the bigger fluke are around...Plus like DS said its GREAT eating..I throw almost 99% of my bass back but the fluke if its a keep ITS GOIN HOME!!
    Fished last night from 730-11pm...NoMoCo..Looking for fluke..Had a decent night from 730-930 caught 14 flatties most were in the 14-16in range 1 around 17 and a nice 18.5in keeper for the table...

Most came on the white GULP mullet on the teaser but the the 2 bigger fish incluing the keeper slammed the Tinman wobblehead with a mullet in white...Nice night with steady action...

I wanted to ask you guy who get a lot of fluke from the beach, what are some of the techniqies and rigs that work best for you?
    Does the distance from your bucktail or jig to the teaser dropper loop matter that much. Does gulp color really matter that much? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    For me it's light bucktails with gulp.
    X2

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Is anyone still using the sneaky pete rig to catch fluke from the surf? I found a pic of it in post 4
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...sthoff-is-gone

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Ernie was the originator of the Sneaky Pete fluke rig used exclusively in the surf.
    One of the most effective bait rigs ever, written about by Milt Rosco in many of his books and how to articles
    . "The Complete Guide to Surf and Jetty Fishing" by Milt Rosko

A pic of ernies sneaky pete rig c&p from the other thread.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SneakyPete-2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	18605

Thanks for mentioning those rigs fellas. Going to try to make something like that the next time I go out.

Hey guys I finally got out this morning and fished nomoco. The beach was not that crowded with the weather. Lots of small bait in the wash maybe rainfish or spearing? You didn't have to cast that far. At first the bugs were insane. Then the east wind got a little stronger and it was ok. Fished 8:30-12. I was using a sneaky pete style rig without the spinner blade. Got 9 fluke to 17 1/2". I was using white gulp swimming mullet and the snappers kept biting the tails. So I switched to chartreuse swimming jerk shad and it was a lot better. It was fun to have them snap at the tails and not bite it off. For once I seemed to have power over the snappers. lol. Good morning on the water and lots of bait around. Hoping some other species will move in with all this bait out there.

^^^^^I too did that today heres my report:
    Got 8 shorts with bucktail and gulp white mullet. I changed it up after remembering what you said about the snappers biting off the tails because they were there in full force. After I went through one pack of the mullet I went back to my truck and started using the shads. They definately last longer thanks for the tips.

I too switched to gulp jerk shad with the snappers around. Made a big difference today. Glad I made my move they can't bite the tails off.

Might not work in the surf, but thought this video was interesting. Bacon for fluke.