Thread: Tips for catching Fluke in the surf?

Hybrid View

Hey guys I finally got out this morning and fished nomoco. The beach was not that crowded with the weather. Lots of small bait in the wash maybe rainfish or spearing? You didn't have to cast that far. At first the bugs were insane. Then the east wind got a little stronger and it was ok. Fished 8:30-12. I was using a sneaky pete style rig without the spinner blade. Got 9 fluke to 17 1/2". I was using white gulp swimming mullet and the snappers kept biting the tails. So I switched to chartreuse swimming jerk shad and it was a lot better. It was fun to have them snap at the tails and not bite it off. For once I seemed to have power over the snappers. lol. Good morning on the water and lots of bait around. Hoping some other species will move in with all this bait out there.

^^^^^I too did that today heres my report:
    Got 8 shorts with bucktail and gulp white mullet. I changed it up after remembering what you said about the snappers biting off the tails because they were there in full force. After I went through one pack of the mullet I went back to my truck and started using the shads. They definately last longer thanks for the tips.

I too switched to gulp jerk shad with the snappers around. Made a big difference today. Glad I made my move they can't bite the tails off.

Might not work in the surf, but thought this video was interesting. Bacon for fluke.