Thread: Introducing Shoreline B&T Appraisal Service

Hybrid View

Does he appraise old rods, and does he get to shows outside of New Jersey?

DarkSkies,
    It was really nice of you to start this thread about me. But, to tell you the truth it is kind of embarrassing. It's like airing your dirty laundry to the world. Being addicted to collecting old fishing tackle is not for the faint of heart; everyday it consumes you. For those of you thinking about collecting fishing tackle it is a great hobby! But if you decide to collect for investment purposes; you would be better off putting your money in a CD.
    If anyone here would like to ask me my opinion [ which is what I call an appraisal ] about lures, reels, rods, etc. I would be more than happy to try and answer your questions. Although, I have been dealing in fishing tackle my whole life; I feel my knowledge is still somewhat limited.
    Please remember: "collectables are only worth what someone is willing to pay." you may get more or less for your item!

Quote Originally Posted by surfsters View Post
    DarkSkies,
    Please remember: "collectables are only worth what someone is willing to pay." you may get more or less for your item!
    I don't have too many things that I collect but you are absolutely correct about things are only worth what people will pay for them. I have a doll worth $1000 if purchased from a collector. Unfortunately, I have only been offered $75. Will I sell it - NO.

I know someone else who has a very large collection of Hummels. Some are worth over $4000 each. Will she ever get that price probably not. They are treasured items which will be passed down to her children and grandchildren for many years to come.

Collecting is not for the weak at heart. You have to have a strong love for it. Please do not feel embarrased about the information posted about your collecting. There are lots of guys who collect lures and or all kinds of fishing tackle. You are creating a legacy of yourself for the fishing community and your children.

People who collect fishing tackle are highly reguarded and admired.

Just a head's up to let you folks know that Tom has closed the store that he ran with his son. I am very bummed this happened. Tom was a good guy, one of the least pretentious guys out there. He has a passion for fishing and appreciates all types of it. This is definitely a loss to the surf fishing community. Sorry for your luck, pal. Hope things work out overall.

Sad news. He's one of a dying breed. Best of luck in the rest of your life, Tom.